Farewell Robin Williams

Chuck Nessa

You know what I thought was a really underrated movie of his? Patch Adams.

They marketed it as a comedy movie, but it was actually quite serious. And well done, IMO.

He was a much better actor than many think. His serious roles were very well acted.

I read that the real doctor that inspired the Patch Adams movie thought Williams was too restrained in the role. :lol:

Oh, I think he was a very good film actor. I just don't think that's where his genius was. Film just confined him too much, well, with a couple of exceptions like "Aladdin," which was standup set to animation. He helped make Johnny Carson's last "real" show memorable, as he did just about every time he appeared unscripted anywhere. A comedy genius. I wish he had managed his illness as well as Jonathan Winters managed--with a great deal of effort--to do.

gregmo

I saw many of the films he was in, but what I remember best is a seeing him on Dick Cavett's show doing an improvised "Shakespeare" soliloquy. Amazing stuff.

I hope that somehow he and Jonathan Winters are somewhere riffing off each other and having a great time.

Thank you, Mr. Williams. Perhaps you gave us what you couldn't give yourself.

This was my introduction to his genius, a 1978 HBO special taped at The Roxy on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. I don't think he ever reached these heights of improvisational insanity on his later standup specials. Sadly this concert was only released briefly on VHS in the early 80s and has never been reissued anywhere else.

Thank you Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsIh5z7oYyY