Bennett and Basie

Mark Stryker

Gang -- In 1958-59 Tony Bennett recorded two LPs by Basie's band -- "In Person" on Columbia and a second for Roulette that was issued variously as "Strike Up the Band" and "Basie Swings/Bennett Sings." My question is about the Roulette side: Which title/cover came first, "Strike Up the Band" or "Basie Swings/Bennett Sings"? Sources seem to differ.

According to Bennett himself in his autobiography with Will Friedwald, it was originally released as Count Basie/Tony Bennett: Strike Up the Band and later "the album appeared under an endless number of titles, including Basie Swings Bennett Sings."

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

According to Bennett himself in his autobiography with Will Friedwald, it was originally released as Count Basie/Tony Bennett: Strike Up the Band and later "the album appeared under an endless number of titles, including Basie Swings Bennett Sings."

Yeah, I saw that in my own copy. Trouble is Bennett/Friedwald appear to have it backward according to other sources, among them this Roulette discography: http://www.bsnpubs.com/roulette/roulettea.html That's why I'm wondering if anyone can confirm.

Re: Bennett, Sinatra and Basie.

Bennett was the first to work & record with Basie. When Frank did team with Basie starting in '62 or so, he did several songs that Bennett had already done with or without Basie -- Fly Me To the Moon, Too Close For Comfort, I Wanna Be Around, and one or two others. But he didn't re-record all the same songs with Basie ..

Yeah, I saw that in my own copy. Trouble is Bennett/Friedwald appear to have it backward according to other sources, among them this Roulette discography: http://www.bsnpubs.com/roulette/roulettea.html That's why I'm wondering if anyone can confirm.

If the Both Sides Now catalog numbers are accurate (and I think they are), I'd go with them until proven wrong.

I'm not so sure, catalogue numbers don't necessarily imply order of release.

I was going to look on Billboard online, but it looks like they've removed most of the issues.

F