Netflix - Lack of Quality Selections?

Is it me or has Netflix selection of quality movies shrunk? I was a member a few years back and cancelled my membership when it became apparent that I didn't have the time to watch the movies to meet the monthly membership. I seem to remember though that Netfix had a pretty impressive selection. Well fast forward to yesterday when I opted to rejoin after recently purchasing a smart tv. After looking through the catalogue I found a great number of tiles not available especially when it comes to classic movies. There were a large number of movies available from the past few years but mainly of little or no interest. Is it me or has the quality of movies seriously eroded? Citing a specific example I believe I saw only 1 or 2 Alfred Hitchcock titles. None of the usual suspects one would expect.

Looks like Amazon Instant has all the Hitchcock you can eat...don't know the math that made it so, though. A lot of it is free if you have Prime, but far from all of it.

And a lot(?) of the silent stuff is readily available for free, in lots of places, what with it being PD and all. Of course, prints are not always the best, but hey, PD, and hey, free. And really, I do not know what is around for source material for it to be any better. I'm NOT The Man Who Knew Too Much. But I'll watch anything Hitchock eventually. There's a PD cahnnel on Roku that has a buttload of them there just waiting fro me: http://www.hosttecsolutions.com/portfolio.html

As far as Netflix goes, I have a treaming account, and love it for TV series, a few of the original shows, and whatever catalog they have available. I've been pretty much "classic movie"ed out for a while now, so the variety (in both selection and of the quality therein), is ok by me at this time.

Also, if you like more "offbeat" fare that is often very good (imo, of course), try Snag Films http://www.snagfilms.com/ or on your Roku. Lots of variety, and commercial interruptions, but usually not too intrusive, and again, free because of that.

Roku is getting...interesting. There's stuff like this http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/grindhouse-channel which is in NO way "quality fare", I mean, I've only been able towatch a few of the films through to completion, but sometimes a look at something just for WTF! value is good for a half hour or so.

Netflix (like all streaming services) gets limited time licensing for films from the studios. The studio can decide to pull any title at any time (this goes for both streaming and physical titles), they can also make mistakes like they did with Fringe season 5 which they asked Netflix to put up prior to the DVDs being released, it was on the site for 1 day and then vanished for several months. I remember at one point several years ago they added Dexter to streaming and I got all excited and started watching, about 2 weeks later it was pulled...Showtime changed their mind.

A lot of people complain about Netflix and the depth of their catalog (particularly on the streaming side), but the finger should actually be pointed to the movie studios and their tight-fisted hold on what they will make available.

I'm with the British company Lovefilm, now taken over by Amazon. Their DVD-by-post catalogue is full of riches (they claim to have every DVD available in the UK) and has been keeping me going for years, but their streaming service is so slight - emphasis on TV series and kids' favourites - that I quickly watched all I wanted to and cancelled that part of the service. So quality movies keep coming in for £4 a month on an average of 2 a week and I'm not complaining! I've had a brief look at what's on offer on Netflix streaming and there's clearly nothing there for me.

Seems most of these services aim at at the average movie fan and series lover and are leaving aside those who were left out in the transformation of the movie theater into megaplexes, that is the arthouse or international film crowd.

You kinda hope they would target more the "mature movie fans" , it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by Van Basten II

I'm a Hulu Plus fan, mainly because of their nearly complete run of Criterion Collection films, which constitute nearly all of my film watching. Hulu also has a pretty impressive catalog of TV series, although that appeals more to my son than to me. I gave up on Netflix streaming, which seems to be mostly B and C films. I keep a basic Netflix DVD account for titles that are not yet in streaming mode.

I generally didn't think Netflix streaming service was worth it, much preferring the DVDs. I also liked LoveFilm when I was in the UK, and there I only had physical DVDs. Here in Canada we basically get hosed. Netflix is streaming only, and has even less selection than the US streaming version. (You can't get Hulu unless you jump through a lot of hoops to try to prove you are actually an American. No clue if Hulu will ever make it up here legitimately.) There is some Netflix-like service called Zip.ca that does mail out the DVDs but the reviews are pretty negative. So I guess things are always relative, and both the US and the UK have it better than Canada.

I guess on the positive side, Toronto still has a fair number of specialty DVD rental stores (yes, you can go into a store and rent DVDs still), and I'll investigate that soon. Perhaps there will be one on my commuting path, so I can stop off on the way home.

Edited by ejp626

Netflix offers a lot of really good independent films available for streaming, a good way to catch up on movies that weren't "commercial enough" for a large theatrical rollout. I've found a LOT of good films to watch on Netflix, don't just randomly dismiss something because you haven't seen billboards all over town.

Unbelievable. I spent a bit of time researching it and there was a fairly cool video/DVD store called The Film Buff East not too far from me (definitely bikable), and they are closing their doors Sept 2. Killed off mostly by Netflix (and they point out the irony of being forced out of business by a company that doesn't even do physical DVD rentals). Now there are a number of other places to go (including the Film Buff West) but nothing remotely near my house. Fuck.

I may try to make it down to their massive closing sale over the next couple of weeks, but my heart's not really in it.

Damn it all. Even Zip.ca is closing down at the end of August. I guess they just are asking for folks north of the border to turn pirate.

I think we won't even recognize the media landscape in another 20 years, and it may well be next to impossible to get physical copies of any of the things we currently enjoy. Frankly, I'm not really looking forward to it.

Edited by ejp626

I've been a Netflix subscriber for over a decade, switched to streaming only about two years ago. I mostly stream TV series that I missed when they first aired. On the plus side, the picture quality is excellent, and now that they have worked out the bandwith problem with Comcast, the service is very good. On the minus side, I have to agree that the selection is sparse, and I imagine that there will be a time when I run out of things to watch. I wish thay could make a deal with HBO, sine there are a number of HBO programs I'd like to see without going to the trouble of renting the DVD.

With regards to old movies, between TCM, MGMHD, Encore Westerns, and a couple of other cable channels, I've got access to more movies than I have time to watch!

Edited by Stereojack

I wish thay could make a deal with HBO, sine there are a number of HBO programs I'd like to see without going to the trouble of renting the DVD.

HBO signed an exclusive deal with Amazon Prime for streaming rights.

Here's the list of shows offered:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_mg6y2B0000_ZPS_brwse_p_v?_encoding=UTF8&node=9097393011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0EZANK2Q78AXXRQQR8KM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1865737962&pf_rd_i=2676882011

• 2 months later...

By request here is a list of some lesser-known titles currently available from Netflix streaming. Many of these are independent films that received little theatrical distribution but deserve to be seen by a broader audience.

The list is in no particular order and I’m not going to rate them, because I think in the end enjoyment of film is wholly subjective. I would say they range from fair to excellent and everything in between, but I found something to enjoy in all of them.

Short Term 12 (2013) – Drama

Liberal Arts (2012) – Drama

Much Ado About Nothing (2012) - Shakespeare

Stuck In Love (2012) – Comedy/Drama

Grabbers (2012) – Irish Horror/Comedy

In A World (2013) – Comedy

Your Sister’s Sister (2011) – Comedy/Drama

Blue Ruin (2013) - Drama

Breathe In (2013) – Drama

I Give It A Year (2013) – British Comedy

The Cabin In The Woods (2011) - Horror/Comedy

We Are What We Are (2013) – Horror

The Kids Are Alright (2012) – Comedy/Drama

Arthur Newman (2012) - Comedy

Monsters (2011) – Sci-Fi

My Week With Marilyn (2011) – Comedy

It’s A Disaster (2012) – Comedy

Killing Them Softly (2012) - Drama

Violet & Daisy (2011) – Comedy

Albatross (2011) – British comedy/drama

Somewhere (2010) – Drama

Valhalla Rising (2009) – Action

End Of Watch (2012) - Action

Thanks For Sharing (2012) – Comedy/Drama

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day (2008) – Comedy

The Iceman (2013) – Drama

Bottle Shock (2008) – Comedy

Rampart (2011) – Drama

The Goddess of 1967 (2000) – Drama

The Host (2006) – Korean monster movie

Europa Report (2013) – Sci-Fi

Odd Thomas (2013) – Horror/Comedy

• 1 month later...

What is with the goddamn slide shows that sites over use these days?! How fucking annoying. Just print the goddmn list!