mjzee

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Date Jordan? or A Date With The Duke? That title is confusing me, it's not something clearly understood like "Play Cole Porter" os something like that. No wonder they don't sell more records!

You were expecting commercial potential?? :alien:

Datteln (Date) is a town in the district of Recklinghausen, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany -- I guess they made the rekkid there. And since that area is so non-photogenic, that's why they retouched the background on the cover photo. Must be.

Seriously: the cover design only pretends to have become better :g 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

At least they have improved the cover photos... 😀

:rolleyes:

They have gone from the merely beautiful to the absolutely transcendent... ;)

FWIW I’ve sampled some of these and heard things that could have been played fifty years ago or more. 

Edited by David Ayers

3 hours ago, David Ayers said:

:rolleyes:

They have gone from the merely beautiful to the absolutely transcendent... ;)

FWIW I’ve sampled some of these and heard things that could have been played fifty years ago or more. 

Ronnie Cuber, Rich Perry, and Andy Fusco aren't the least bit retro. The ways they play now are a logical extension of the ways they've always played, and they're darn good ways IMO. Stephen Riley does tip his cap to the past to some degree, but in an interesting personal manner, again IMO. The other leaders, except for the two bassists (McClure and Richmond), I don't know.

Hey, Ron McClure played with Charles Lloyd 50 years ago, and Maynard Ferguson more than 50 years ago.

And Ronnie Cuber played with Ron McClure with Maynard more than 50 years ago. And quite nicely!

So let's not be talking shit about 50 years ago, ok? Instead let's talk shit about how if ANY of these motherfuckers are buried in black, or wear black to one of the others's funerals, hey, fuck them and fuck wearing so much black on so may album covers. Either put some color on it or just go ahead and die now, I don't think that too unreasonable a request.

Damn, these Steeplechase CDs are expensive. At a time when CD sales are tanking and most issues are ~$10, these are clocking in at $20. Makes me wonder how long they'll be around with that price point. Even Mosaic Records, at the top of the CD price range only charges $17 per disc.

Having said that, I'm thinking hard about the new Cuber & Smulyan CDs.