RIP Abdul Wadud

colinmce

Very sad to hear. Absolutely loved his playing on those early Hemphill albums.

I wonder if this means the "Black Unity Trio" will finally be reissued? If memory serves correctly a label in Germany was planning on reissuing it(the same label that reissued Arthur Doyle's "Alabama feeling") but the project was sank due to Wadud's objection...

The same news being reported now circulated two years ago and was not substantiated back then. Raheem Devaughn's Facebook page has an 18 hour old post but does not mention this news. I have my doubts.

The crunchy rhythms he laid down behind Julius Hemphill in the 70s classics were a part of my road into this great music. Loved that sound.

I wonder if this means the "Black Unity Trio" will finally be reissued? If memory serves correctly a label in Germany was planning on reissuing it(the same label that reissued Arthur Doyle's "Alabama feeling") but the project was sank due to Wadud's objection...

this is the label:

http://rankrecords.net

no more traces of anything jazz on their website - they did "Alabama Feeling" and "Paris, Ariès" and since, I think the more jazz-oriented one of the two guys that founded the label, has left - so no matter if Wadud has died, I think chances are low.

The same news being reported now circulated two years ago and was not substantiated back then. Raheem Devaughn's Facebook page has an 18 hour old post but does not mention this news. I have my doubts.

Only heard from Ras Moshe on Facebook - nothing substantiated. I agree, I felt like similar news had surfaced some time ago and who knows whether it was accurate. I remember in the late 1990s some questions were floating around whether he was alive or not. Tried a few years ago to get in touch with Raheem about his father, but never got any response via email.