Can't take the heat?

The Groper

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEEP had to go.

Way too much abuse and disrespect for others.

Patty is a valuable poster.

I think GROPE can be reasonable. Hope he sticks around.

Good job, B-3er and sorry you and Use had to take so much abuse. No one deserves that.

He was just too much of a dividing force. And the humor really got STALE.

Funny thing is, the cat was funnier (and more informative) during wet season. I think he should lose (or at least shorten) the dry season. His life might be shortened, but what would be left of it would be higher quality if his style here was any indication. Drink deep, DEEP!

I hate to see his "good part" gone, the stories and the info (of which there was more than some might like to admit) but dammit, if the management sets boundaries and you cross them repeatedly, deliberately, and obstreperously, you got no room for complaint when they toss you. That's just the way shit works. If you're gonna walk a tightrope, you damn well better have a good sense of balance.

Back to bizness as usual. One monkey don't stop no show.

Such a sad day..."The Straw that Stirred the Drink" (apologies to Reggie Jackson) has found his final resting place in the DEEP SIX with nary a bugle note of "Taps" in his honor.....

...BUT WAIT...WHAT'S THIS?...His smelly carcass has washed up on another shore? Praise be!

DEEP LIVES! HAM-FISTS OF THE WORLD REJOICE!

I hate to see his "good part" gone, the stories and the info (of which there was more than some might like to admit) but dammit, if the management sets boundaries and you cross them repeatedly, deliberately, and obstreperously, you got no room for complaint when they toss you. That's just the way shit works. If you're gonna walk a tightrope, you damn well better have a good sense of balance.

Any samples of the good stuff? -- I've waded through dozens of pages of his thread and aside from Patricia doing her best imitation of the Grove Dictionary, I found little of interest. But maybe I waded in from the wrong direction.

Now THIS discussion is academic,

--eric

The story about John Bunch being a POW in WWII was priceless as far as I'm concerned. I thought the story about the dude marrying a chick just because she had a certain side was hilarious, just because I know guys that are that stupid/obsessive whatever. Tragio-comedico-whatevero. The story about "The Ragtime Drummer" being the first recorded drum solo was good info for me - I didn't know that, and it evolved into a little side-discussion about James Reese Europe, nothing "major" but nice, nevertheless. There were other little tidbits along the way, along with a lot of "insult humor" that not everybody "got", as well as some really tired-ass jive macho bullshit that may or may not be the "real" Deep. I picked and chose what I found of value and ignored the rest, just like I try and do with everybody and everything.

But the bottom line is this - the ONLY rule on this board is that you don't piss off the management, and if you do, you square up with them. It's really, REALLY simple, and they don't get pissed off easily (well, Jim doesn't, anyway). And when they do, they let you know about it. Then the ball's in your court. About as complicated as spelling "cat" and being spotted the "c" & the "t".

Any samples of the good stuff? -- I've waded through dozens of pages of his thread and aside from Patricia doing her best imitation of the Grove Dictionary, I found little of interest. But maybe I waded in from the wrong direction.

--eric

Eric,

I don't own a Grove Dictionary, but I do own a shelf of jazz bios and other reference books, from which I drew interesting, I thought, bits and pieces in order to compose the apparantly superfluous bios.

I don't know how to "cut and paste", so I actually had to write the bios, using my reference material.

It was my futile attempt to inject some sanity to the thread. I don't do imitations of anybody, or anything.

I subsequently deleted the bios, sensing that the thread had become a spectator sport. My apologies if my diversionary tactic was ineffective.

Good job, B-3er and sorry you and Use had to take so much abuse. No one deserves that.

Yeah, but I'm glad they gave the guy a chance, which as you and I both know is more than I would have done. Sometimes being fair is a pain in the ass, but it's still the right thing to do. Thumbs up once again to Jim.

I also agree that Patricia is an asset. As for the Groper, I see him as a highly opinionated person who sometimes goes too far, posts without knowing all the facts, and occasionally hits the enter key when a little more thought would be the best course of action. In other words, how can I criticize him without criticizing myself? :g

--eric

Eric,

I don't own a Grove Dictionary, but I do own a shelf of jazz bios and other reference books, from which I drew interesting, I thought, bits and pieces in order to compose the apparantly superfluous bios.

I don't know how to "cut and paste", so I actually had to write the bios, using my reference material.

It was my futile attempt to inject some sanity to the thread. I don't do imitations of anybody, or anything.

I subsequently deleted the bios, sensing that the thread had become a spectator sport. My apologies if my diversionary tactic was ineffective.

Patricia-

Sorry, I meant to say that your contributions were a welcome relief. I love my Grove Dictionary! -- sorry if the reference seemed snide, it wasn't intended to be.

If you look through my posts you'll see I cut & paste all kinds of stuff, so I deifnitely value posters who go through the trouble of getting the facts and primary sources in front of people's faces.

Any snideness I think was more of a function of the context.

--eric

So, Patty, are you gonna catch the next Alberta Clipper with connections to the Jet Stream over the Big Pond? I'm tempted to watch the mayhem, but I'd probably end up being compared negatively to His Deepness and vilified by Frenchmen. Here I am more appropriately vilified by FAMBLY. You, on the other hand, possess the deft womanly touch of sanity. GO FOR IT!

I actually find it appalling that the moderators have allowed the 'C' word to sit there in the 3rd paragraph of the opening post on this thread and have yet to use their divine powers to strike it out thunderbolt.jpg. There are outer limits imo.....and there are other professional women perusing this board from time to time who undoubtedly find it to be in appallingly bad taste. Then again, perhaps the thread author -- a witty chap no doubt -- simply forgot about it and would now be so kind as to zap it on his own?

Geez Whiz, fellas and Patty--Can't a guy plant a modest little stink bomb and evacuate for a few hours without our whole JAZZ/COUNTRY COMMUNITY reaching critical mass?  "Sad Troll" that I am, I just thought that some of us were acting a little embarrassed by our country cousins and that there were overtones of "white trash" emanating from some of the posts.  Things seemed pretty loose, however, and the digression inspired some fun.  Each person's sense of humor has its limits, though, so I guess--as usual--it had to get ugly.  DEEP went over the top (again), but I think it's fair to say that Use3D showed NO GOOD HUMOR AT ALL.  I didn't quite follow the FIST/NAZI connection, but I can't see hammering someone for trying to make a point, valid or not.  ORGANISSIMO, INC:  Do you really want an HOMOGENIZED website?  Isn't an all white bread diet kinda boring?

OPEN THE DOOR TO DEEP!

Son of Weizen,

Thank you for drawing attention to the "C" word, used, un-objected to earlier.

I was struck dumb, not believing that it was allowed to stand, considering that it is as offensive to women as the "N" word is to African Americans. Because nobody raised the issue, I started to think that I was being thin-skinned.

GROPER,

Your referring to me, earlier, using the dreaded and mega-offensive "C" word was crossing the line. I do hope that it is not a part of your vocabulary in your real life, since even in the "pseudo-intellectual" [another of your references] circles in which I travel, that alone would be a clear invitation to an ass-kicking. No excuse for that. I don't know you and have no idea what your attitude toward women is.

As for your put-down of my apparant intellect, I am fairly well educated, but hardly an intellectual, much less a "pseudo" one. :rolleyes:

As for my "crossing the pond" to the Blue Note board, I doubt it. I've spent seven years on various boards on this side and have made many friends, including the person who has just been banned. They know that when he and I have exchanged comments on various threads, they were not serious, but just word tennis. Nobody has taught me as much about jazz and jazz history as he has and this Dr Hyde personality, sprinkled liberally with real, first-hand jazz knowledge got out of hand. He does have an over-the-top manner, as a poster, which is, I think, taken too literally. My role in these exchanges, over the years, has always been one of reasonableness in the face of insanity, much like in my real life. I am hopelessly conventional and I guess most of my friends find that strange.

I do post on other threads here and am most interested in seeing others' opinions and suggestions of jazz to look for and listen to. In any case.....................

Edited by patricia