"Big Band Bird: Charlie Parker With The Big Bands" on Night Li

Last week's Night Lights show is now up for online listening--a musical survey of Parker's performances with big bands ranging from Jay McShann to Stan Kenton:

Big Band Bird: Charlie Parker With The Big Bands

Coming up this week: "The Durable Kenny Dorham."

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
17 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Some of this Big Band Arrangements Sound quite Commercial. I have the Verve Album with Temptation etc. and the big band sounds like some movie Soundtrack from the 50´s. Bird, of Course is great as ever. 

On 25.8.2020 at 10:33 AM, Gheorghe said:

Some of this Big Band arrangements sound quite commercial. I have the Verve album with Temptation etc. and the big band sounds like some movie soundtrack from the 50´s. Bird, of course, is great as ever. 

What do you expect? Arranged by Joe Lippman (who had arranged many recordings for vocalists such as Nat King Cole and Sarah Vaughn that did not exactly aim at the out-and-out jazz clientele either), and then some of these "big band" sessions (e.g Temptation) were those "with Strings", i.e. with a very non-jazz string section. Not exactly a setting that will give you a blowing Dizzy Gillespie bebop big band. But according to those who ought to know Bird was delighted and proud of that combination. So that's that ... ;)

Besides, it is all a matter of perspective. What may sound "commercial" to our (Ornette-Coleman- and Peter-Brötzmann-hardened :D) ears today may not have come across as quite as commercial then. :rolleyes: