Miles Davis and Gil Evans 1968

JCR1992

I'm wondering about a concert from 1968 with the 2nd Great Quintet and a Gil Evans orchestra. Miles talks about it in his book and I was wondering has any bootlegs ever surfaced of this recording. If I remember correctly Miles said Columbia recorded it and it was in their vaults. I would love to hear it and see how he sounded live in such a transitional year, especially with an Orchestra led by Gil. Any info on it please let me know. I hope I'm posting this in the correct area!

From Peter Losin's Miles Ahead site:

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=680216

...at the Greek Theater, Berkeley (April 19). They were joined on several numbers by a variation on this version of the Evans Orchestra. The concert may have been recorded by Columbia, but so far it has not surfaced. According to Jan Lohmann, the Quintet performed "Agitation," "Footprints," "'Round Midnight," "Nefertiti," and "Gingerbread Boy," and were joined by the Evans Orchestra for three numbers: an unknown title, "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman," and "Antigua." After a return to New York, the Quintet played at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis (May 26).

Wow!! If this ever is released by Columbia I'd be sure to get this. I'd love to here "Nefertiti" with an Orchestra continuously repeating the chorus like Miles and Wayne did on the original LP! I wonder if Miles was doing his long medley of songs since this concert consisted of an Orchestra as well. Also the Aretha Franklin cover is very intriguing to me. I never knew he performed it let alone live and/or with Gil. Great info thank you so much!

Wow!! If this ever is released by Columbia I'd be sure to get this. I'd love to here "Nefertiti" with an Orchestra continuously repeating the chorus like Miles and Wayne did on the original LP! I wonder if Miles was doing his long medley of songs since this concert consisted of an Orchestra as well. Also the Aretha Franklin cover is very intriguing to me. I never knew he performed it let alone live and/or with Gil. Great info thank you so much!

Would be amazing to hear this. My recollection is that whenever Miles played "Nefertiti" live, it was with individual solos - i.e., not like the studio version.

Personally I think if this were recorded we'd have seen boots of it and possibly an official release by now.

But I hope I'm wrong! I'd love to hear it, especailly in the great sound I know would come from an official release.

Edited by jazzbo

Would be amazing to hear this. My recollection is that whenever Miles played "Nefertiti" live, it was with individual solos - i.e., not like the studio version.

He performs "Nefertiti" on the Vol.2 bootleg correct? Still haven't bought Vol.2 or 3 yet.

Personally I think if this were recorded we'd have seen boots of it and possibly an official release by now.

But I hope I'm wrong! I'd love to hear it, especailly in the great sound I know would come from an official release

But I hope I'm wrong! I'd love to hear it, especailly in the great sound I know would come from an official release.

I thought about that as well. My only hope is that Columbia is planning some type of release and possibly it was on the college radio station just like Coltrane's Temple University concert.

He performs "Nefertiti" on the Vol.2 bootleg correct? Still haven't bought Vol.2 or 3 yet.

There are four known live recordings of Nefertiti, all from 1969 with the "Lost Quintet". 2 of them are available on the second box (7/26/69 and 11/5/69).

...and were joined by the Evans Orchestra for three numbers: an unknown title, "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman," and "Antigua." After a return to New York, the Quintet played at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis (May 26).

Isn't it commonly thought that the "unknown title" that was performed with Gil's orchestra, was...

"Falling Water" (take 4) - 3:45

"Falling Water" (take 6) - 4:25

"Falling Water" (take 8) - 4:17

"Falling Water" (take 9) - 4:23

...which is found in four (4) studio takes on the Miles & Gil Evans box (recorded in 1968, as best I'm recalling).

I know I've read/heard that a number of times, and it may even be mentioned in the liners to the Miles & Gil box too (where it was also speculation, though a pretty educated guess).

Was this concert covered any in Downbeat around that time? Not that anyone (then) could have had any idea what to call that unknown tune.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

...and were joined by the Evans Orchestra for three numbers: an unknown title, "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman," and "Antigua." After a return to New York, the Quintet played at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis (May 26).

Isn't it commonly thought that the "unknown title" that was performed with Gil's orchestra, was...

"Falling Water" (take 4) - 3:45

"Falling Water" (take 6) - 4:25

"Falling Water" (take 8) - 4:17

"Falling Water" (take 9) - 4:23

...which is found in four (4) studio takes on the Miles & Gil Evans box (recorded in 1968, as best I'm recalling).

I know I've read/heard that a number of times, and it may even be mentioned in the liners to the Miles & Gil box too (where it was also speculation, though a pretty educated guess).

Was this concert covered any in Downbeat around that time? Not that anyone (then) could have had any idea what to call that unknown tune.

That is a good observation I never even thought of putting the two together. It makes perfect sense that that would be the unknown tune! Is the "Antigua" they're referring to the same tune Shorter did on "Moto Grosso Feio"?

• 3 weeks later...