WTF Astrud Gilberto, WTF?

JSngry

Here she is fronting a hyper/over-hyper/obnoxiously-over-hyper-perhaps "Brazilian fusion" band and you'd think, hey, this so not ain't gonna work, but damn, no she's not turned into a belter or a demonestress or anything, but she is in the pocket every second and is not at all overwhelmed by the energy. Still the barely-there voice and pitch that threatens to leave at any second, but her time, more specifically, her pocket, jeez, I'm kinda like whoa, where did this come from, I guess it was always there or what? If she was really the weakling that she's so often been accused of being (an assessment which I have sometimes entertained but never finally embraced), that busyass backing band would send her time out the front window, but nope, she's in there.

So, finally, perhaps, testosterone, essential to life, but just as or more likely an enabler for and of oversimplification, misunderstanding, and not so harmless dismissal of differing forms of genuine strength.

Pontieo, hey.

...her time, more specifically, her pocket, jeez, I'm kinda like whoa, where did this come from, I guess it was always there or what?

It couldn't have hurt that she was married to Joao Gilberto for several years (and not only that, but from 1959-1963!), and being with Getz right after that. Jesus. Talk about hanging out with the right people to influence your phrasing. But she had to have begun with some talent. No doubt about that.

While I am not a huge fan of Astrud Gilberto, I always find myself defending her. This video completely reinforces my opinion that she was much more than a pretty face. Despite whatever pitch or vocal control issues I occasionally pick up on from those Verve albums, there is always a sense of natural musicality that shines through. And I agree with sgcim, her vocal timbre is irresistible.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

She has that basic Brazilian feel that so many jazz musicians are lacking, which is worth a lot more than a truckload of chops. I think she got herself together pretty fast after her initial success.

That's a nice video, no idea why I missed it when it was broadcast - thanks for posting.

Yet I've tried other Brazilian vocalists looking for the same fix I get from AG, but it's not there.

Almost all of the time, she chooses nice tunes, even the non-Brazilian ones, that work perfect for her voice.

She sang the shit out of an obscure Harry Nilsson tune that no one else has ever recorded.

There have been many other female vocalists who have tried to sing in her bag, but none have come close, even Sade, IMHO.

It's like Sinatra...