tkeith

Track 6 is obviously Sun Ra. I can hear it in the piano comping. But I am having trouble identifying the album, because I don't remember a Sun Ra trumpet player ever playing that way with a mute. It must be from before the Michael Ray and Ahmed Abdullah era. It could be from a Sun Ra album I just don't have! I have many, but does anyone have them all?

I wouldn't say it's before that era.

It could be from a Sun Ra album I just don't have! I have many, but does anyone have them all?

yes, there are sun ra completists who have all the releases.

i think the sun ra item is either 1973, or 1978-79. it's the only item in this bft that i recognize as having in my collection.

Track 6 is obviously Sun Ra. I can hear it in the piano comping. But I am having trouble identifying the album, because I don't remember a Sun Ra trumpet player ever playing that way with a mute. It must be from before the Michael Ray and Ahmed Abdullah era. It could be from a Sun Ra album I just don't have! I have many, but does anyone have them all?

I wouldn't say it's before that era.

Really? I heard Michael Ray and Ahmed Abdullah in concert with Sun Ra several times, and they never played like that with a harmon mute. Very interesting!

Track 3 has got to be John Surman

You are correct, sir.

I thought track 6 was from "night of the purple moon" but after playing that LP tonight I don't think it is. Maybe from "media dreams" or "disco 3000"? Sounds like a small group session...good recording quality(for Saturn anyways)...

Yes, it would be. But that's a clue.

Track 3 has got to be John Surman

You are correct, sir.

I thought track 6 was from "night of the purple moon" but after playing that LP tonight I don't think it is. Maybe from "media dreams" or "disco 3000"? Sounds like a small group session...good recording quality(for Saturn anyways)...

Yes, it would be. But that's a clue.

Last night I took out more than 25 Sun Ra albums from the Michael Ray/Ahmed Abdullah era and afterwards, and played the first few seconds from every track on every album, trying to get a match for Track 6. I don't have access to a turntable now, so it could be that Track 6 is from an album that I have only in vinyl--I have many Sun Ra albums only in vinyl. But I did not find it yet!

I would try these first, because they seem to be the most mysterious sun ra 1970's releases as far as recording dates.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20040211002326/http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/discintr.htm

85. Sun Ra and his Arkestra

Song of the Stargazers

Saturn 6161 (NMY), LP 487

Side A:

The Others in their World (Ra, not the 1960 piece)

Somewhere Out (Ra)

Distant Stars (Ra, not the 1960 piece either)

Duo

Side B:

Seven Points (Ra)

Cosmo Dance (Ra)

Galactic Synthesis (Ra)

Ra-p, keyb; Michael Ray-tp; poss. Craig Harris-tb; Marshall Allen-as, fl, ob, picc; John Gilmore-ts; Eloe Omoe-bcl; Danny Ray Thompson-bs; unknown-eg; unknown-b; poss. Luqman Ali (Edward Skinner)-d; unknown-cga; unknown-perc. Live recording, unknown location.

(earthly recordings vol. 2 lists this as a studio recording?)

67. Sun Ra

Cosmos

Cobra COB 37001

Inner City IC 1020

Musicdistribution 60005

Buda 82479-2 (CD, 1991)

Side A:

The Mystery of Two (Ra)

Interstellar Low Ways (Ra)

Neo Project No. 2 (Ra)

Cosmos (Ra)

Side B:

Moonship Journey (Ra)

Journey among the Stars (Ra)

Jazz from an Unknown Planet (Ra)

Ra-Rocksichord; Ahmed Abdullah-tp; Craig Harris-tb; Vincent Chancey-frh; Marshall Allen-as, fl; Danny Davis-as, fl; John Gilmore-ts; Danny Ray Thompson-bs, fl; Eloe Omoe-bcl, fl; James Jacson-fl, bsn; R. Anthony Bunn-eb; Larry Bright-d (same tour as Live at Montreux and Chateauvallon concerts T76.8.24 and T76.8.25; studio was too small to fit the entire band, acc. to Chancey). Studio Hautefeuille, Paris, 8/76. [Personnel and date from album jacket]

88. Sun Ra
Of Mythic Worlds
Philly Jazz PJ 1007

Side A:
Mayan Temples (Ra)
Over the Rainbow (Harburg-Arlen)
Inside the Blues (Ra)

Side B:
Intrinsic Energies (Ra)
Of Mythic Worlds (Ra)

Ra-org, syn, p; Marshall Allen-as, fl, ob; John Gilmore-ts, perc; Eloe Omoe-bcl, fl; James Jacson-bsn, fl, perc; Danny Ray Thompson-bs, fl; Richard Williams-b; Luqman Ali-d; Atakatune (Stanley Morgan)-perc. Recorded 1979. [Geerken]

(earthly recordings vol. 2 lists some of this as a studio recording?)

Edited by l p

I would try these first, because they seem to be the most mysterious sun ra 1970's releases as far as recording dates.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20040211002326/http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/discintr.htm

85. Sun Ra and his Arkestra

Song of the Stargazers

Saturn 6161 (NMY), LP 487

Side A:

The Others in their World (Ra, not the 1960 piece)

Somewhere Out (Ra)

Distant Stars (Ra, not the 1960 piece either)

Duo

Side B:

Seven Points (Ra)

Cosmo Dance (Ra)

Galactic Synthesis (Ra)

Ra-p, keyb; Michael Ray-tp; poss. Craig Harris-tb; Marshall Allen-as, fl, ob, picc; John Gilmore-ts; Eloe Omoe-bcl; Danny Ray Thompson-bs; unknown-eg; unknown-b; poss. Luqman Ali (Edward Skinner)-d; unknown-cga; unknown-perc. Live recording, unknown location.

(earthly recordings vol. 2 lists this as a studio recording?)

67. Sun Ra

Cosmos

Cobra COB 37001

Inner City IC 1020

Musicdistribution 60005

Buda 82479-2 (CD, 1991)

Side A:

The Mystery of Two (Ra)

Interstellar Low Ways (Ra)

Neo Project No. 2 (Ra)

Cosmos (Ra)

Side B:

Moonship Journey (Ra)

Journey among the Stars (Ra)

Jazz from an Unknown Planet (Ra)

Ra-Rocksichord; Ahmed Abdullah-tp; Craig Harris-tb; Vincent Chancey-frh; Marshall Allen-as, fl; Danny Davis-as, fl; John Gilmore-ts; Danny Ray Thompson-bs, fl; Eloe Omoe-bcl, fl; James Jacson-fl, bsn; R. Anthony Bunn-eb; Larry Bright-d (same tour as Live at Montreux and Chateauvallon concerts T76.8.24 and T76.8.25; studio was too small to fit the entire band, acc. to Chancey). Studio Hautefeuille, Paris, 8/76. [Personnel and date from album jacket]

88. Sun Ra

Of Mythic Worlds

Philly Jazz PJ 1007

Side A:

Mayan Temples (Ra)

Over the Rainbow (Harburg-Arlen)

Inside the Blues (Ra)

Side B:

Intrinsic Energies (Ra)

Of Mythic Worlds (Ra)

Ra-org, syn, p; Marshall Allen-as, fl, ob; John Gilmore-ts, perc; Eloe Omoe-bcl, fl; James Jacson-bsn, fl, perc; Danny Ray Thompson-bs, fl; Richard Williams-b; Luqman Ali-d; Atakatune (Stanley Morgan)-perc. Recorded 1979. [Geerken]

(earthly recordings vol. 2 lists some of this as a studio recording?)

It is not "Cosmos". That is one of the albums I tested last night.

It is not "Cosmos". That is one of the albums I tested last night.

tune is 3:55

if the timings on the web are correct, then it's not on these either.

Of Mythic Worlds

Mayan Temples 7:48

Over The Rainbow 5:15

Inside The Blues 5:45

Intrinsic Energies 8:40

Of Mythic Worlds 12:55

Song of the Stargazers

1. The Others In Their World 10:14

2. Somewhere Out 4:40

3. Distant Stars 1:01

4. Duo 3:04

5. Seven Points 4:49

6. Cosmo Dance 6:31

7. Galactic Synthesis 9:52

i'm leaning towards 1979 being the recording date.

Edited by l p

This mystery Sun Ra track was really bugging me so I went back to my earlier conclusions - small group & good recording quality. So....(duh!!) I pulled out "new steps" and voila - it's "Rome at twilight"! A great track and a good reminder to dust off these Horo doubles in my racks...

There..now I can rest :)

Ding! Ding!

Nobody seemed to notice the missing instrument.

i like that i didn't have to sign up for this bft or download links. just at my convenience went to web and listened. more people would participate if this way of listening could be done more often on bft's.

this is a good example of a site where you can just upload a tune for anyone to listen (small size uploads, so has to be like 128bit rate mp3)

http://picosong.com/

there are probably other sites that can upload bigger sized files.

Edited by l p

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read anyone's responses yet.

#1. I like the guitarist. I have no idea who it is.

#2. Piano, Sax, bass and what sounds to be a didgeridoo. Don't know this one either.

#3. Several saxophones. Stumped yet again.

#4. Don't know this one either.

#5. I like the pianist. Not sure who it is, but I've heard him before. The vocalist, is it Jenne Lee? Not her still, but something maybe me think of her. The alto player, no idea.

#6. Don't know.

#7. Nice baritone sax.

#8. Is this the Art Ensemble of Chicago?

#9. I like this one, but don't know anyone on this track. I probable will know once the answers are given.

#10. Another one I like, but no clue. I have led ears.

#11. Don't know. I couldn't listen to the entire track. My least favorite of the 11 tracks.

I haven't read anyone's responses yet.

#1. I like the guitarist. I have no idea who it is.

#2. Piano, Sax, bass and what sounds to be a didgeridoo. Don't know this one either.

#3. Several saxophones. Stumped yet again.

#4. Don't know this one either.

#5. I like the pianist. Not sure who it is, but I've heard him before. The vocalist, is it Jenne Lee? Not her still, but something maybe me think of her. The alto player, no idea.

#6. Don't know.

#7. Nice baritone sax.

#8. Is this the Art Ensemble of Chicago?

#9. I like this one, but don't know anyone on this track. I probable will know once the answers are given.

#10. Another one I like, but no clue. I have led ears.

#11. Don't know. I couldn't listen to the entire track. My least favorite of the 11 tracks.

#2, no didge.

#5, you likely know the piano player.

#8, noet AEC

#9, very possible.