2014 Chicago Jazz Festival

johnblitweiler

It was over 2 days ago but I'm still kind of glowing. Especially glorious music each afternoon - best of all was probably the very first set of the fest, Keefe Jackson's Likely So. The seven reed players all played beautifully, even better than on the album, and they had even rehearsed Keefe's bubbly scores. On the last afternoon were Tomeka Reid's quartet with Mary Halvorson, who sounded inspired; Jason Adasiewicz and Sun Rooms, who swung like mad; and Tootie Heath's trio, which had Ethan Iverson playing a lot of sweet melodies. Some good music on the evening shows too - two favorites were Tom Harrell's songs and lovely flugelhorn playing and George Freeman-Mike Allemana. George was so full of rich blues and dark harmonies and Allemana and his trio were wonderfully sensitive to him, and they played on George's high level, too. I had to miss 3 or 4 acts that were highly promising, but that's what happens at festivals. As usual the weather forecasts were for rain and as usual there was nary a drop. Another sunshine festival in Chicago.

Sounds great, John!

I haven't heard of George Freeman since he recorded with Groove Holmes in the '60s. Is that the same guy?

likely yep; still a pleasure to hear. here from about a year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqeYQP5P2hw

Like John I enjoyed a good many sets at the festival and had to miss others. standouts for me Keefe Jackson and Tomeka Reid as well. others Ernest Dawkins homage to Mandela, Chicago undergrouund duo and a beautiful after set with Matthew Shipp, Alvin Fielder Josh Abrams and Kidd Jordan o Friday night. Vincent Chancey, Douglas Ewart and Jim Baker sat in for some cuts.

Edited by uli