Name some Prestige CDs you find underrated

mjzee

I have heard Wycliffe Gordon live many times, including just over a week ago. He has a very large tone. at times he does play, what some might describe as "crudely". He has marvelous facility on his horn, and uses a variety of sounds and technical approaches to , in my opinion, enhance his solos. Wycliffe plays many different instruments including piano, bass, trumpet, and saxophone too.

I recently heard him play the slide trumpet a few times. Gordon is also a master of using mutes and plungers. He also is a highly entertaining vocalist.

To my ears, Wycliffe is one of the most interesting and enjoyable jazz trombonist currently on the scene. Gordon is stylistically highly versatile, and fits well playing swing, traditional jazz, bebop, hard bop, and down home blues and gospel. I have vivid recollectiions of seeing/ hearing Bill Watrous a few times. There are people who consider Watrous to be one of the very best jazz trombone players.

Though he has great facility on his horn, his tone is so soft he needs to have a mic right in the bell of his trombone. In many ways, Watrous is the opposite of Wycliffe as a trombone player. Though I respect the talent of Bill Watrous, I would pick Wycliffe Gordon over Watrous every time.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard Wycliffe Gordon live many times, including just over a week ago. He has a very large tone. at times he does play, what some might describe as "crudely". He has marvelous facility on his horn, and uses a variety of sounds and technical approaches to , in my opinion, enhance his solos. Wycliffe plays many different instruments including piano, bass, trumpet, and saxophone too.

I recently heard him play the slide trumpet a few times. Gordon is also a master of using mutes and plungers. He also is a highly entertaining vocalist.

To my ears, Wycliffe is one of the most interesting and enjoyable jazz trombonist currently on the scene. Gordon is stylistically highly versatile, and fits well playing swing, traditional jazz, bebop, hard bop, and down home blues and gospel. I have vivid recollectiions of seeing/ hearing Bill Watrous a few times. There are people who consider Watrous to be one of the very best jazz trombone players.

Though he has great facility on his horn, his tone is so soft he needs to have a mic right in the bell of his trombone. In many ways, Watrous is the opposite of Wycliffe as a trombone player. Though I respect the talent of Bill Watrous, I would pick Wycliffe Gordon over Watrous every time.

Those two are are only choices? I pick Dickie Wells. :)

Those two are the only choices? I pick Dickie Wells. :)

No there are many choices, but I was comparing two living trombone players.

The other trombone player currently on the scene that is one of my favorites is Andy Martin.

He plays in a very different style than Wycliffe.

Christophe Schweizer!

Sorry for misspelling his name above. He is something else and a very nice guy too. I was in contact with him for a good while several years ago -- we were planning that I'd write liner notes for an forthcoming album of his (the group that included Dave Binney) -- but the connection faded away during my late wife's final days and their aftermath and never got re-established. As much as I admire Schweizer's trombone playing, his genuinely long-form composing is at least as striking. Some echoes there perhaps of George Russell, but Schweizer is his own man.

There are a few very fine current trombonists. IMO the most striking play in more edgy or avant-garde (for the continued lack of a more apt descriptor) modes.

For me the stronger voices are Wolter Wierbos, Steve Swell, Connie Bauer, Ben Gerstein, and the great Ray Anderson who has a week at The Stone in December. The last time I saw Anderson was year in a quartet with Marty Ehrlich, Brad Jones and Matt Wilson, and his performance that night trombone was as memorable of anything I've ever heard on that horn. Blues, swing, bop, post bop and free all organically presented in his almost human voice.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Prestige CDs???

Anyone is free to weigh in on the original topic, which did inspire many interesting posts, but I don't see anything wrong with this thread going off in another direction, especially when it did so quite spontaneously -- no hi-jacking involved, or so it seems to me. Ideally, all the posts on trombonists could be removed and placed on a new thread about that topic alone, but a) I'm not sure myself how to do that and b) I expect that doing that would involve a fair amount of tedious effort. OTOH, if a fellow moderator knows how to do that and wants to, go right ahead.