Name some Prestige CDs you find underrated

mjzee

OK, I plead guilty (of sorts ..) to having mentioned "vulgar Bill Harris" first of all which may have led to this name dropping (like autumn leaves) ... :D

Sooo ...just to get back on track in every respect (Prestige and 'bones), tell me, everybody ... are Prestige 7023 and 7030 (J.J. Johnson, Kai Winding, Bennie Green) UNDERrated in the discographies of the respective artists, maybe? ;) In the sense of being recordings that everybody immediately thinks of FIRST when discussing the KEY recordings of these artists...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I plead guilty (of sorts ..) to having mentioned "vulgar Bill Harris" first of all which may have led to this name dropping (like autumn leaves) ... :D

Don't! Who cares, the discussion was very interesting! And we don't get all that many of those lately ...

Sooo ...just to get back on track in every respect (Prestige and 'bones), tell me, everybody ... are Prestige 7023 and 7030 (J.J. Johnson, Kai Winding, Bennie Green) UNDERrated in the discographies of the respective artists, maybe? ;) In the sense of being recordings that everybody immediately thinks of FIRST when discussing the KEY recordings of these artists...

Not in my book, never been very fond of these. But I guess I have to dig them up and listen again ... as for J.J. I much prefer his Blue Note sessions or the one with Sonny Stitt and John Lewis on Prestige (now that LP would never be underrated because it opens with the glorious Stitt on tenor w/Bud Powell sessions - but the second half yeah, I guess that might be somewhat underrated). Never been that much of a Winding fan, and for Bennie Green, I'm afraid those tracks haven't left a lasting impression (while later albums did, most notably "Soul Stirrin'" of course, which was the first I ever heard of his).

Looks like this is the CD version of the Vol. 1 two-LP set (AFAIK Vol. 2 never was issued on vinyl). I was delighted when I discovered that Vol. 1 twofer at the time and I definitely spun my copy a LOT. So it wasn't underrated here ;) (in fact my above post about those "Early Bones" LPs made me think of pulling it out again).