Frank Lowe - Out Loud - (Triple Point 2LP, previously unissued music)

clifford_thornton

I don't doubt the quality, and I did buy the Taylor/Oxley set when it was released, but I seriously think they'd sell more of their releases if they cut the price by about half!

It's really ridiculous....I'm sure if I ever put my Taylor/Oxley set on sale at auction I'd be lucky to get $50 or so...to charge extravagant "collector" prices right out of the gate is just weird...even in 20 years I'd be surprised if they would sell for close to their "new" price!?

I dunno man, it's a weird world we live in. My understanding is that the NYAQ box did well but I'm not sure how many are left - there are just a handful of the Taylor sitting around. At least in collector parlance, I'm sure we've both spent more on worse music.

But I get your point - they are marketed towards people who are in a position to throw down bread. Full disclosure: I will be reviewing this set, though I'm already more enthusiastic about the content than I was expecting to be - Lowe is always a good voice to have on record, but he's on another level here (as are Bowie, Reid and Parker).

Something I can't help figuring into my "do I buy it?" process is "where does the money go?". Particularly when now-dead musicians are involved.

I'd have bought this in a moment had it been released in 1974/5 with Lowe still active (and at a price in line with other records).

But now - at that price - it doesn't even get onto my "would like to buy if I win the lottery" list. My priority is with the living, the (deluded?) belief that some of my hard-earnt will end up supporting them and that it will encourage more current record/release activity.

uhm, how did they manage to get a video onto vinyl?

how much music is on there? probably less than a full CD's worth - price really is ridiculous ... I'm still tempted by the NYAQ box though, but gee! Add to that the import fees and VAT and all that sh*t and it goes up to at least 400 bucks!

uhm, how did they manage to get a video onto vinyl?

how much music is on there? probably less than a full CD's worth - price really is ridiculous ... I'm still tempted by the NYAQ box though, but gee! Add to that the import fees and VAT and all that sh*t and it goes up to at least 400 bucks!These sets are expensive, especially if you live

These sets are mightily expensive especially if you live outside the states but I did go for the NYA4 set & have no regrets - it's a beautiful piece of work musically & aesthetically - highly recommended!!!

Though I'm very into Cecil Taylor, I'm reticent to get this one as it's only part of a week long residency at the Village Vanguard - I'm hoping this will eventually be released in its entirety on CD (as in the Codanza 10CD set)

I'm with you, Dick, I mostly buy new releases by current musicians for the reason you cited and because I want to hear what's new.

I bought that Taylor set and like it a lot, but I'm a Taylor fanatic. I too hope all those concerts get released but it's been several years now.

Edited by CraigP

The crank in me wants to say, "A musician of Frank Lowe's caliber deserves better than this consumer object fetishization" but the fan in me wants to say, "You could afford it if you give up a few lunches out this month..."

I'd glady send these guys $20 - $25 bucks for FLACs and a PDF booklet.

Also, as noted by others, more important to me these days than packaging, bonuses, super-high-bit-BluRay-definition mastering is actual transparency from the issuing body itself. Does this price really reflect a need of the part of the label to recover production costs and pay those who need to be paid? Will Frank Lowe's estate, or jazz musicians in general, be among those? I know; hardly anyone does this, but its not a new idea... JCOA / NMDS anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CECIL-TAYLOR-TONY-OXLEY-Ailanthus-Altissima-LIMITED-2-LP-book-/251243681374

Someone should inform this dude that there's this thing called the internet where people can actually easily search to see where this item can be found and for how much. Then again, given some of the prices I've seen people pay for things that were still in print, I shouldn't be surprised. And I wholeheartedly agree with Joe -- where the money is going definitely affects my feelings about cost and willingness to pay.

Edited by disaac

The crank in me wants to say, "A musician of Frank Lowe's caliber deserves better than this consumer object fetishization" but the fan in me wants to say, "You could afford it if you give up a few lunches out this month..."

Also, as noted by others, more important to me these days than packaging, bonuses, super-high-bit-BluRay-definition mastering is actual transparency from the issuing body itself. Does this price really reflect a need of the part of the label to recover production costs and pay those who need to be paid? Will Frank Lowe's estate, or jazz musicians in general, be among those? I know; hardly anyone does this, but its not a new idea... JCOA / NMDS anyone?

The label is very, very above board and those who are due royalties will get theirs. It is I'm sure an expensive set to produce. It looks good but more importantly it sounds as much like you're "there" as an early Blue Note, some of the recent Nessa CDs, or Shellac's At Action Park. Can't stress that rare feeling enough.

As for the video footage, it is included on a download card. Actually I wish it'd been included on a DVD but that's my only gripe.

The Taylor is good but not great, I agree. The NYAQ is essential. They hopefully will be doing some Bill Dixon stuff down the line, in full accord with the estate.

The label is very, very above board and those who are due royalties will get theirs. It is I'm sure an expensive set to produce. It looks good but more importantly it sounds as much like you're "there" as an early Blue Note, some of the recent Nessa CDs, or Shellac's At Action Park. Can't stress that rare feeling enough.

As for the video footage, it is included on a download card. Actually I wish it'd been included on a DVD but that's my only gripe.

The Taylor is good but not great, I agree. The NYAQ is essential. They hopefully will be doing some Bill Dixon stuff down the line, in full accord with the estate.

Thanks for that info. I'm OK with having mixed feelings, but I appreciate being more informed in my confusion!

Would gladly go hungry for Frank Lowe. Just maybe not this month.

No use getting bent out of shape about it-- I see merit on both ends. I just wish music as historically important as the NYAQ material ended up someplace where it could be heard. The CT or Lowe sets are there if you want them, which is fine. But locking up such a crucial piece of the puzzle bums me out.

That said, I don't much blame the label-- clearly no one else saw fit to release the stuff.

That's tempting, even almost at that price...in some ways Fresh is still my favorite Lowe album, and this looks to be right in there with that.

Maybe if I pick up a good wedding gig (file under be careful what you wish for) I can use some of the proceseeds to get this to wash the dirt off...

A Shellac reference on this board!? Haha.."action park" and their first 3 singles are great...saw them live on that particular tour too. Was a fan of big black etc in the late 80s as well.

Anyway if I ever get a sudden unexpected influx of cash I'll definitely buy this, but for now I can't justify $100 for another boutique release from this label...

yeah, still have most of the Shellac records filed - the split with Mule and The Bird is the Most Popular Finger I let go a while back. Rapeman remain in the collection but I sold all the Big Black stuff years ago. I'd like to get some of their LPs back if they stay on the cheap side...

edit for confusing Shellac EP title with Six Finger Satellite record

Edited by clifford_thornton

While on the topic of late 80s/early 90s noise rock nostalgia - one of the craziest concerts I ever saw was the Jesus Lizard on the "goat" tour...started in the front row and quickly made way towards the back as the band started and Yow immediately leapt into the crowd! Could only stand a song or two by the stage until I realized I didn't want to get hurt or be covered in beer :0