Looking for that certain low-key, mellow vibe.

mikelz777

I'm interested in recommendations for albums or compilations that have a noir-ish or midnight jazz vibe. Something that has the same vibe as Kind Of Blue or like Concierto De Aranjuez from Jim Hall's Concierto album. I'd like it if the entire album or compilation held that low key vibe rather than just appear in a couple of songs mixed in with more upbeat songs. Cool, moody, dreamy, rainy day mellow...

Do you have any recommendations?

Edited by mikelz777

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Encounter-East-John-Lewis/dp/B0000564Y3/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1410102460&sr=1-1&keywords=john+lewis+grand+encounter

The perfect such track probably is Grant Green's "Idle Moments," but I don't recall whether the whole album is that mellow.

I would imagine that several of Red Garland's trio albums would fill the bill, but I don't have them all at hand to check.

Wouldn't disagree with any of Larry's first four. Don't know the others. 'Idle moments' is all like the title track - I do remember that Miles Davis didn't play 'So what' as a ballad :) so you're not specifically interested in pure ballad albums.

I'd always recommend any or all of Black & Blue's 'Midnight slows' albums - there were ten of them, some reissued on CD. I'd also recommend a bunch of Prestige Moodsville albums:

Kenny Burrell & Coleman Hawkins - Bluesy Burrell

Gene Ammons - Soulful moods of

Gene Ammons - Nice & cool

Jaws & Garland - Moodsville #1

But those are all very focused (though not exclusively) on ballads. I think the musician you're really looking for is Gene Ammons and you can buy pretty well any of the albums he made between his two prison stays - he was on top form then, very, very relaxed, but with everything to say, whether he was in up or down tempos. As a sample, you might try 'Boss tenor' and see how well it fits your idea.

MG