• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, mjzee said:

Well I always had heard about Sonny Rollins movin a lot while playing, he would play while still not on the bandstand and come into the club and passing tables while he PLAYED. 
And sure he moved a lot around too when I finally saw him live. 

But Miles Davis did the same and they all had wireless mikes. The only time Miles was not walkin around was in the earlier electric days when he had the wah wah pedal, so then at Stadthalle 1973 he just stood there and did the trumpet with the wah wah. 

About the duo Sonny-Philly J.J. : "Surrey with the Fringe on top" seemed to be a tune wider used in the 50´s since it was the first tune I heard on my first own LP "Miles Davis Steamin´". Sonny plays it in Bb, but it seems that Miles played it in A natural. Can this be true or was the Miles version recorded with too low speed ? I was quite astonished because A natural is not really a typical key for tunes, maybe Miles liked it since his "Jean Pierre" also is in A natural. 

The Rollins - Jones duet is fantastic, since Philly J.J. is a whole orchestra himself. There are drummers like that, like the underrated Shadow Wilson: Hear Wilson and you hear the complete sound of the Basie Band. 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well I always had heard about Sonny Rollins movin a lot while playing, he would play while still not on the bandstand and come into the club and passing tables while he PLAYED. 
And sure he moved a lot around too when I finally saw him live. 

But Miles Davis did the same and they all had wireless mikes. The only time Miles was not walkin around was in the earlier electric days when he had the wah wah pedal, so then at Stadthalle 1973 he just stood there and did the trumpet with the wah wah. 

About the duo Sonny-Philly J.J. : "Surrey with the Fringe on top" seemed to be a tune wider used in the 50´s since it was the first tune I heard on my first own LP "Miles Davis Steamin´". Sonny plays it in Bb, but it seems that Miles played it in A natural. Can this be true or was the Miles version recorded with too low speed ? I was quite astonished because A natural is not really a typical key for tunes, maybe Miles liked it since his "Jean Pierre" also is in A natural. 

The Rollins - Jones duet is fantastic, since Philly J.J. is a whole orchestra himself. There are drummers like that, like the underrated Shadow Wilson: Hear Wilson and you hear the complete sound of the Basie Band. 

Miles' version of "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" is in B-flat. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

13 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Miles' version of "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" is in B-flat. 

Oh, then  something must have been  wrong with my LP-player or was it still a casetofon  (during my high school days). Then maybe the speed of the casetofon was lower . Because the way I heard it it sounded like A natural. 
I´ll have to listen to the tune again, from a source that has it recorded with the normal speed. 

See, during that days I only had my pitch, but didn´t know nothing about different speeds on recordings. 

So: When some older guy spinned a Johnny Griffin-Bud Powell version of "Wee" which is in Bb, on that record the speed was up so it sounded a semitone up, as B natural. And I really thought they play it in B natural, a key that´s hard for me to play. I think there was also a fast Blues in what should be F, and it sounded like Gb, so I also wondered how fast they play that blues in such an unusual key.