Report that Gerald Wilson has passed away

ghost of miles

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first, very first, jazz records I bought was a Gerald Wilson record, Everywhere. Out of the cutout bins, Loved it then, love it now, and have followed Gerald Wilson ever since. The more I understood big band writing, the more fun it was to listen to him. The Mosiac is a treasure, but don't overlook the later work. They're gems, all of them.

RIP. Much love, and you'll be missed down here on the ground.

Funny, that was my first Wilson LP, too, and, like yours, from a cut-out bin. Agree that the Mosaic is a teasure, I will spin some of it later this evening, but what really knocked me off my feet was some of the early Californian stuff compiled on the two Chronological Classics CDs - what power!

R.I.P., your flaming brass writing and piccolo parts will always linger in my mind.

It's hard to answer Rooster's q, because Gerald's post PJ recordings are so darn consistent. All of them are worthy of attention and all contain some compelling music, no matter what the label - Trend/Discovery, Mama, Mack Ave.

You certainly couldn't go wrong with sidewinder's choice of "Theme for Monterey". I would add this one as a personal favorite (not that it's necessarily 'better" than others), but it really appeals to me.

51kLOOflF0L._SY355_.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

I only have one of his albums, In My Time, which I bought shortly after it was released. Despite enjoying that album, I somehow missed the premiere of Wilson's Detroit at the Detroit Jazz Festival 5 years ago and an appearance the following year. Although he recorded a lot over the length of his career, I'll forever regret not seeing him perform live. In an attempt to catch up on his recorded work, I've ordered a stray disc from his Mosaic set (with California Soul and Eternal Equinox). His son is a talented guitarist, composer and arranger, so Gerald Wilson's legacy will also continue on through Anthony. Thank you for the music, Mr. Wilson, and rest in peace.

Edited by Justin V

I wouldn't say I was particularly aware of Gerald Wilson (a bit off my radar) but when he was playing the Chicago Jazz Festival (this was probably the 2008 edition) some folks on the board said to make sure not to miss his orchestra. So I went.

It was a fun set, which ran a bit long, and they even brought out a cake at the end, as it was his birthday. He had composed a Chicago suite for the festival, though I don't think he recorded it, the way that he did for Detroit. I could be wrong there.

RIP

Those albums for Albert Marx's Discovery/Trend labels shouldn't be forgotten about either - 'Lomelin', 'Jenna' and 'Calafia'. In terms of style, they bridge the gap between the 60s PJ stuff and the more recent releases. Many of the original lineup were still on-board at that stage too in the 'Orchestra of the 80s' (and the subsequent '90s' one, which I caught live).

That 90s band opened up with 'Viva Tirado' - unforgettable impact.

Edited by sidewinder

Well, I never knew Gerald arranged 'River's invitation'. I thought Hank Crawford did those arrangements. But the name of the arranger was never mentioned on the label of the 45 I had or the LP I've got.

A wonderful record - I always loved the idea of making a bossa nova out of a very slow blues :)

MG