How to get off Twitter?

Stupidly, I signed up for Twitter a while ago, don't recall why. Now, bombarded by Twitter notifications and with no desire to ever use Twitter myself or to receive a Tweet, I want to close my account but can't figure out how. I did find a deactivate your Twitter account page, but it wanted my password in order to deactive my account, and stupidly I don't recall my password. When I clicked on the "reset your password" URL in the hopes that I then could go back and deactivate my account, I was sent to a standard Twitter activity screen that had no option to reset my password that I could see. Any ideas?

Perhaps you haven't heard:

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand...”

Eric Schmidt

I thought that was the Tower of Babel.

https://twitter.com/account/resend_password

it's very easy to deactivate once you have a password.

Yes, but I click on that link and see nothing on that page where I can reset my password.

Perhaps you haven't heard:

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand...”

Eric Schmidt

I thought that was the Tower of Babel.

https://twitter.com/account/resend_password

it's very easy to deactivate once you have a password.

Yes, but I click on that link and see nothing on that page where I can reset my password.

No, I think you may be thinking of the tower of babble.

They should be sending the new password to the email you used to sign up for Twitter, once you enter your email address.

I deactivated my account - honestly, Twitter and Facebook have gotten pretty boring. Instagram is (temporarily) where it's at.

No such luck. And when I try to reset my password, even though the "new password" and the "verify password" boxes are there, neither of them is active. That is, I can't type in them.

They should be sending the new password to the email you used to sign up for Twitter, once you enter your email address.

I deactivated my account - honestly, Twitter and Facebook have gotten pretty boring. Instagram is (temporarily) where it's at.

No such luck. And when I try to reset my password, even though the "new password" and the "verify password" boxes are there, neither of them is active. That is, I can't type in them.

Sounds like a browser issue, try a different one.

Sounds like a browser issue, try a different one.

You may be right, but do you mean I have to install a whole new browser other than Safari in order to deactivate Twitter? If so, that sounds to me like way more trouble than it's worth.

Larry. First, reset Safari.

Go to the Safari menu.

Select Reset Safari...

Click the Reset button.

Then once that is complete try accessing the cancellation page again.

If that still doesn't work then download either Firefox or Chrome. I always keep a couple extra browsers on my Mac just in case I run across a particular website that doesn't work well with Safari. I almost never have to use them, but it's always good to have them in case troubleshooting is required.

Larry. First, reset Safari.

Go to the Safari menu.

Select Reset Safari...

Click the Reset button.

Then once that is complete try accessing the cancellation page again.

If that still doesn't work then download either Firefox or Chrome. I always keep a couple extra browsers on my Mac just in case I run across a particular website that doesn't work well with Safari. I almost never have to use them, but it's always good to have them in case troubleshooting is required.

Bless you, Shawn. Resetting Safari, then resetting my password (that page was now active), then plugging my password into the "Deactive your Twitter account" page, did the trick.

why wouldn't you just stop the email notifications instead of killing the account? Now anyone can use your twitter username; what if someday you decided you did want it?

Will never happen. Also, what's good about keeping an account open that I never used and didn't/don't want to use? Don't even remember now why I opened it. A request from someone I knew probably.