Chick Corea Trio: Trilogy

CJ Shearn

For me this one goes under the ''would like to have but there's just too much other stuff that i want more" pile. In terms of recent trios, it would be really interesting to hear Corea with Blade compared to Corea with Motian on the recent Further Explorations. CJ, if you get a chance are you able to advise what the packaging is like? Is it a foldout digipak type thing similar to the Miles Bootleg series? Many thanks.

Yes, it is a fold out digipak like the Miles Bootleg Series releases. Blade is fantastic with Chick IMO, I wanted this since last year but didn't want to spring for the expensive Japanese version. I ripped all the discs to my hard drive, but everything arrived fine in the digipak, no damage to packaging or discs. I would say it's a lot more "in" then the Gomez/Motian trio, but of course with that insideness, Chick definitely takes liberties with the standards and the originals. You see "Spain" on disc 1 and you think "again? really?" but it's an inspired performance where the melody doesn't pop in until mid way through, that track features Nino Josele on acoustic guitar and Jorge Pardo on flute Paco DeLucia's bands from Chick's Touchstone days (never heard that album yet).

Edited by CJ Shearn

On my "I'll get around to it eventually" list. For all the Corea material I have (and I have a lot), I tend to keep going back to "Inner Space" and "Now He Sings..." and the two Airto/Flora RTF's and "Crystal Silence" when I actually go to listen to him.

Thanks CJ! I'll likely get around to it eventually too. Of his recent stuff, which i think overall is some of his best stuff in years, The Continents is a real stand out for me, one of his best ever albums (YMMV).

You are welcome Chris :) I agree with you on "The Continents". If you enjoy that you will like "Piano Sonata: The Moon" which takes up most of disc 3 of "Trilogy" at nearly 30 minutes. I think that piece with it's smooth integration of composition and improvisation showcases just how together the Corea/McBride/Blade unit is.

• 5 months later...

This strikes me as pretty much first-rate rate stuff. I saw this trio in concert, and they were great. Sure, the record has a huge playing time, but Chick has culled performances from all over the world. I did expect a little more in the way of his own compositions. I am currently listening to "Fingerprints" (relatively speaking a newer piece), and it's outstanding--not least for McBride's monster bass solo.

I find that Corea is amazingly full of ideas for being so deep into his career. It's been quite a long time since he's released anything second-rate.

I was a bit underwhelmed on first listen, shelved it. Have recently been revisiting it, it's definitely a grower. I love Blade's playing here, it's fun to just focus on him, he's constantly doing something interesting and he keeps it engaging. Corea's playing on standards in a trio format, fine as it is, doesn't always hold my interest, but the aforementioned playing of Blade, who is ably assisted by McBride (who kind of acts like the glue, excuse the cliche), really brings it to life for me. Great group chemistry overall really. The new material is the standout for me, particularly The Moon which i kind of see as the main event. Anyway, i'm a big Corea fan, this is another winner in my book.