Upcoming Eddie Condon from MOSAIC

The Norvo's that date with Diz and Bird, right? Or is there more?

Yep, Bird, Diz, and Flip in the front line. There are three takes of "Hallelujah," two takes of "Get Happy," two takes of "Slam Slam Blues," and five takes of "Congo Blues." That's it for the first disc.

The Marmarosa material (11 tracks) has been released several times before. The Garner material totals 14 tracks (3 tracks on disc 4, 11 tracks on disc 6)... I have no idea why they were spread across two discs when all that material could have easily fit on a single CD.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx, but I'm not really looking for those right now (and would prefer CD). Have enough Buck Clayton (including the Mosaic - vinyl btw - which is pretty wonderful) and am not really conviced by all of Stewart's leader sessions I've heard so far (though I think he's got some on the H.R.S. label which should be fine - and obviously I enjoy his contributions to Ellington's band).

So I figured. But you just sounded so anxious about these. ;)

Triggered by this thread, i spun that Rex Steart double LP last night. Mighty fine IMO if you are in the mood for some straight-ahead, unpretentious no-frills, blowing for partying.

The Norvo's that date with Diz and Bird, right? Or is there more?

Yep, Bird, Diz, and Flip in the front line. There are three takes of "Hallelujah," two takes of "Get Happy," two takes of "Slam Slam Blues," and five takes of "Congo Blues." That's it for the first disc.

Spotlite SPJ127. It's all been out before too. Including all the alternates.

I have the Marmarosa trio recordings but not the few with a larger group ...

Larger group? That "Dialated Pupils" session with Howard McGhee etc.?

Spotlite is your label there too. ;)

Just in case you're wondering whether filling the few gaps in what you already would make more sense than shelling out for 10 full-price CDs after all. ;)

Cult member checking in to say that I'm looking forward to the Dial set.

I have very little Dial material - so that's one reason the set is appealing. Moreover, I really like the fact that I can sit down and digest the offerings of the label over the course of a few evenings. The HRS set, the Capitol set and even the Clifford Jordan set have that same appeal to me. I don't know what it is about Mosaic, but they always seem to find sets that fill gaps in my listening.

Cult member checking in to say that I'm looking forward to the Dial set.

I have very little Dial material - so that's one reason the set is appealing. Moreover, I really like the fact that I can sit down and digest the offerings of the label over the course of a few evenings. The HRS set, the Capitol set and even the Clifford Jordan set have that same appeal to me. I don't know what it is about Mosaic, but they always seem to find sets that fill gaps in my listening.

That's a good point. They certainly did that (finding gaps in my listening) with the recent Rosemary Clooney set! I was a doubter at first, but I really enjoyed it. I too am looking forward to the Dial set (and James P. Johnson as well!)

gregmo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...