"Last Albums" or appearances you can recommend

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bird´s last album from 1954. The "I love Paris" from december 1954 has a moving quality.

As on Bud Powell´s last album. The "Round Midnight" from 1965 also has a moving quality, and there is a rare version of Coltrane´s  "Moment´s Notice" on it. As much as I know the only time Bud recorded a Coltrane composition. 

images.jpg

Download (1).jpg

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

This may have been the last Hampton Hawes recording session .... :

Unbenannt.png

Hawes' last session in 1977 for Columbia produced only two tracks that remain unissued.  The last session issued were the John Collins tracks on this album:

R-8368418-1479042738-9676.jpeg.jpg

That said, the track with Hawes on The Golden Number was recorded a few months after the album pictured above.

R-1429756-1435793500-5374.jpeg.jpg

This here was Clifford Jordan's last recording:

R-10134827-1492238711-9111.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-1453447-1314957032.jpeg.jpg

I'm not sure whether this was Waldron's final recording, but it was made in the year that he died.  And without a doubt there is a valedictory aspect to the music, right down to the title.

INCREDIBLE performances.

Spot on ....

Wallace Roney- Blue Dawn-Blue Nights was released in August of 2019, and he passed on just a few days ago.

Its a very strong, adventurous post-bop album, and I enjoy it a lot. Roney’s last young band is a welcome collective, with potential to be very strong on a national scene. I hope they carry on as a group, perhaps with another older authority in  American jazz who’d continue into Mr.Roney’s position.

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Hawes' last session in 1977 for Columbia produced only two tracks that remain unissued.  The last session issued were the John Collins tracks on this album:

That said, the track with Hawes on The Golden Number was recorded a few months after the album pictured above.

R-1429756-1435793500-5374.jpeg.jpg

As were three more tracks - released on "As Long As There`s Music" .... :

Rain Forest                                       Artists House AH 4

As Long As There's Music               -

This Is Called Love                          -

• 3 months later...

Listening now to Harry "Sweets" Edison's last recording:

R-6323622-1416473522-3530.jpeg.jpg

Interesting band: Buster Cooper, Curtis Peagler, Art Hillery, Andy Simpkins and Tootie Heath.  Song selections are standards in the Pablo mode (Sophisticated Lady, Just Friends, etc.), but the band is bringing it - they're not just going through the motions.

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

Listening now to Harry "Sweets" Edison's last recording:

R-6323622-1416473522-3530.jpeg.jpg

Interesting band: Buster Cooper, Curtis Peagler, Art Hillery, Andy Simpkins and Tootie Heath.  Song selections are standards in the Pablo mode (Sophisticated Lady, Just Friends, etc.), but the band is bringing it - they're not just going through the motions.

I will have to pull this one out soon. I recall my reaction as in line with Yanow's - that the band was good but Sweets a bit of a weak link. I always enjoy Peagler though.

Anyway not his last. There was Swing Summit on Candid and Live at the Iridium after that.

I remember Harry Sweets Edison quite well. He usually performed together with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, that´s the Team I saw live on some occasions, really fine ! Though this was in a period when I listened more to more modern , free or modal stuff, it was really nice to spend an evening to here such a good Mainstream jazz, not to figure things out, just to relax and swing.....

R-1834435-1369808891-3011.jpeg.jpg

Al Grey / Jimmy Forrest - O.D. (out 'dere)

just playing this one and realized it fit the bill, recorded in July 1980, 8 weeks before Forrest's death... and it's a nice enough organ record... also apparently the last Don Patterson recording to appear during Patterson's lifetime (the John Simon album is from 1986 but apparently only released a decade later) and - if I can trust discogs - the last recorded appearance of drummer Charlie Rice who died in 2018 at the age of 98)

58 minutes ago, Niko said:

R-1834435-1369808891-3011.jpeg.jpg

Al Grey / Jimmy Forrest - O.D. (out 'dere)

just playing this one and realized it fit the bill, recorded in July 1980, 8 weeks before Forrest's death... and it's a nice enough organ record... also apparently the last Don Patterson recording to appear during Patterson's lifetime (the John Simon album is from 1986 but apparently only released a decade later) and - if I can trust discogs - the last recorded appearance of drummer Charlie Rice who died in 2018 at the age of 98)

I have a vinyl of that one - and signed by both Al and Jimmy.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I have a vinyl of that one - and signed by both Al and Jimmy.

that is quite remarkable - recorded July 2 and 3 and Jimmy died August 26... so precisely 40 years ago it must have been in the pressing plant...

Edited by Niko

27 minutes ago, Niko said:

that is quite remarkable - recorded July 2 and 3 and Jimmy died August 26... so precisely 40 years ago it must have been in the pressing plant...

I’ll have to dig it out !

i think the LP was purchased and signed at one of their UK gigs so it must have been literally off the press. I would guess that they were appearing at Nice and made a detour. Or maybe it was signed at the Nice Festival.

Updated - Maybe I got it wrong and it is just signed by Al. The more likely scenario. :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder