Outstanding jazz piano solos, your favorites

jazzbo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest piano solo I've heard was from Don Pullen. It was the Charles Mingus memorial concert at Carnegie Hall in 1979. Pullen's solo on "Sue Changes" goes above what a normal human being can physical do on a piano. He must have been so emotionally overcome from Mingus' death that he temporally possessed super human skills. It is sort of like a mother getting the strength to lift a car when her child is pinned under the wheel. Although this concert was never released I did manage to get a copy of this.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I'd love to hear "Jimmy's Rocks" by Jimmy Yancey, from his 1943 recordings, again. All of Yancey's piano solos are perfect evolutions of themes into compact compositions. This one is a fast version of "Death Letter Blues." The great slow version of that theme is "At the Window," which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever.

I'd love to hear "Jimmy's Rocks" by Jimmy Yancey, from his 1943 recordings, again. All of Yancey's piano solos are perfect evolutions of themes into compact compositions. This one is a fast version of "Death Letter Blues." The great slow version of that theme is "At the Window," which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever.

:tup

The greatest piano solo I've heard was from the Don Pullen. It was the Charles Mingus memorial concert at Carnegie Hall in 1979. Pullen's solo on "Sue Changes" goes above what a normal human being can physical do on a piano. He must have been so emotionally overcome from Mingus' death that he temporally possessed super human skills. It is sort of like a mother getting the strength to lift a car when her child is pinned under the wheel. Although this concert was never released I did manage to get a copy of this.

wow.

Pullen was really something else, especially during the 1970s.

Monk's 20+ minute workout on "Round Midnight" on Riverside, where he deconstructs and reconstructs the tune several times.

Art Tatum's early version of Tiger Rag, where he does the same thing in 2 minutes flat.

Bill Evans on "I Do It for Your Love," Affinity with Toots Thielemans

Count Basie and Oscar Peterson both on "Jumpin' at the Woodside" on their first Satch and Josh album, Pablo.

gregmo

Speaking of piano as a solo instrument, I'd have to mention "Functional" from Thelonious Himself.

Speaking of piano as a solo instrument, I'd have to mention "Functional" from Thelonious Himself.

Yancey and Monk may have lived in somewhat different worlds, but it sounds as if they drank from the same well.

Yancey and Monk may have lived in somewhat different worlds, but it sounds as if they drank from the same well.

It certainly does!

There are so very many favorites. Here are some of them.

Hampton Hawes solo on "Diablo's Dance" from Shorty Rogers and His Giants - RCA

This has a strong place in my jazz memory, as it was something that really grabbed me back in the early to mid-50's

when I first became interested in jazz.

Bud Powell's solo on "Dance of the Infidels" from the Paris Jam Session album by Art Blakey and the Messengers.

This 1959 session was after Powell had supposedly reached his peak and was in decline. However I really enjoy Bud's

very swinging and creative extended solo here.

Horace Silver's solo on "Base On Balls" from The Hank Mobley Quintet on Blue Note. It was a difficult choice as I almost

selected Silver's solo on "Soft Winds" with the Messengers, or the one on "Walkin'" from the Miles Davis All Stars Album also called Walkin'.

Barry Harris ' solo on "Luminescence" from the album of the same title by The Barry Harris Sextet on Prestige.

Kenny Barron's solo on "Voyage" from the Stan Getz Quartet album also titled Voyage.

Ray Bryant's solo on "Blues Changes" from Ray's Trio album on Prestige.

Junior Mance on "Light And Lovely" from "The Tenor Scene". This piano solo was the reason I gravitated toward the Griff & Lock albums in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui01MZOeVHo

Dave Brubeck's *almost* avant garde solo on "These Foolish Things" from Jazz At Oberlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtx3Dw8aM60

George Cables! Rhodes! David Lee! Sonny! Soprano! Crenshaw on wood! But mostly, George Cables! Rhodes! David Lee! Sonny! Soprano! Crenshaw on wood!

George Cables made the Rhodes work for him, really learned how to have a distinctive touch (and tone) on the instrument when everybody was saying it was impossible to do so.

Monk's 20+ minute workout on "Round Midnight" on Riverside, where he deconstructs and reconstructs the tune several times.

Greg, what album is that on?

GA, I have it on the Complete Riverside Sessions box. Don't know if it was ever issued on one of Monk's Riverside albums, since I don't have those.

gregmo

GA, I have it on the Complete Riverside Sessions box. Don't know if it was ever issued on one of Monk's Riverside albums, since I don't have those.

gregmo

My copy of Thelonious Himself (JVC XRCD) has it. It's also on the OJC CD issue.

Edited by paul secor

gregmo

I have it on an old Riverside two-LP set.

Testing 1, 2, 3 .....Let's see if I remember how to post.

This is right up my alley since piano solos are often my favorite so here are a few I really enjoy.

Richie Powell - I'll String Along With You (Brown and Roach Inc.)

Joe Castro - Sunset Eyes (Teddy Edwards, Sunset Eyes)

McCoy Tyner - The Morning After (Hank Mobley, A Caddy For Daddy)

Erroll Garner - Teach Me Tonight (Concert by The Sea)

Bill Evans - Porgy (Waltz For Debby)

Steve Kuhn - Malaguena (Pete La Roca, Basra)

Edited by catesta