CraigP

Canadian saxophonist/flautist Anna Webber has a great new CD out on Skirl. Here's an excerpt from from my review:

"SIMPLE is at once an apt and a misleading title for this CD. Saxophonist Webber, a new name to me, has attracted a couple of A-listers in (Matt) Mitchell and (John) Hollenbeck for her project, and upon listening it’s easy to see why they wanted to be on board – there’s a lot to sink your teeth into.

Ms. Webber uses only the three instruments to fulfill her compositional vision over the seven tracks of the album. However, she deploys an impressive variety of approaches to the material, from quieter minimalist passages to themes stated in unison to knotty full-bore free improv.

Using only woodwinds, piano and drums creates a lot of open space in the music, and Webber plays in and around the compositions, suggesting they could unspool infinitely. Her tone on tenor is malleable, bending and stretching notes in a way that calls to mind the spirit, if not the exact style, of a young David Murray."

You can read the full review of SIMPLE on my blog.

a3369471290_2.jpg

Edited by CraigP