Mosaic Dial set coming soon

miles65

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's a hard decision. I can't help with comparisons as I don't have that set. . . I have four I think of the Spotlite cds, but not any from Japan, nor have I heard any of that set. . . .

How do the Spotlite CD's compare to the box set? - I've had those since the 90's but maybe upgrading soon - I think I'll be getting the Dial box for Christmas

I haven't done a comparison, and probably won't as the Spotlite cds are in a box somewhere. . . I moved 20 months ago and do not have room to display all my discs and these are among those in a box somewhere in the garage or spare bedroom. I have not yet played much from the Mosaic that I have on Spotlite cds.

I've read most of the notes and they're very good. They hold and compile together a lot of interesting material for the bebop connoisseur as well as the neophyte. It takes a bit of getting used to some of the combinations of sessions on discs here, especially for someone like me who has more often in the past listened to these sessions on the Savoy/Dial set, or Master of Jazz etc. discs. But that said the discs play very nicely from start to finish.

I'll just quickly say I continue to disagree with the idea that these sounds are digital in nature. That does not make sense according to what Mosaic and Jonathon have reported about the "cleaning" methods, and they just don't sound that way to me. But regardless I don't think these sounds make enjoying the set impossible, certainly not for me.

The music I've heard for so long that I just don't know what to say about it. I think it's IMPORTANT music in my listening world and for jazz fans and scholars. I have been enjoying the sessions I haven't paid a lot of attention to previously such as the Erroll Garner and the "Home Cooking" material (that, though it's not easy listening, sounds clearer here to me).

Edited by jazzbo

I'm also enjoying the set. I think the notes are pretty good, though I'm a little wary since Ross Russell collaborated with Tony Williams, and his "Bird Lives!" is, at best, controversial. That said, I like the inside stuff, and I think the musical analysis by Tony Williams is very good. Photos, discography, and the book in general are all up to Mosaic's usual very high standard.

gregmo

My order's in, if anyone can improve the sound with a definitive release it's Mosaic.

Like most, I have a lot of this material, but I don't have the complete Dial recordings and from this alone, reinforced with the history captured in the booklet, makes this set essential for me.

What did you think of the wooshing on disc 2 when compared to the several problematic soundcloud samples, ArtSalt?

I've only just ordered it, it hasn't arrived yet. So I have to wait and hear!

I will definitely be comparing the sound to the Mosaic Serge Chaloff set which sound I was not greatly impressed with. Also Japanese CD's of the Parker sides and The Chase.

The soundcloud samples sounded acceptable to me from a casual listen on a laptop.

In what was a total surprise, this set found its way under the tree yesterday. I was as happy as I was surprised - as all the conversation about the sound really had me wanting to hear the music.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, so much as I suspected the problems with tracks in question in no way impeded my enjoyment of the music. In fact, had there been no issue discussed on the board, I would have chalked up what I heard to lousy source material. I trust that Mosaic is going to issue the best possible sound they can.

The music on the set is fabulous - I've listened to about half of it today. It's shaping up to be exactly what I was hoping for relative to the content. As I've said before, I really like these single label sets that Mosaic has done.

Minor point - I really like that the Dexter Gordon made the cover image.

In what was a total surprise, this set found its way under the tree yesterday. I was as happy as I was surprised - as all the conversation about the sound really had me wanting to hear the music.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, so much as I suspected the problems with tracks in question in no way impeded my enjoyment of the music. In fact, had there been no issue discussed on the board, I would have chalked up what I heard to lousy source material. I trust that Mosaic is going to issue the best possible sound they can.

The music on the set is fabulous - I've listened to about half of it today. It's shaping up to be exactly what I was hoping for relative to the content. As I've said before, I really like these single label sets that Mosaic has done.

Minor point - I really like that the Dexter Gordon made the cover image.

Agree with you on the sound. Some of the CP sounds startlingly good to me. Some of the other music - the Erroll Garner for example, sounded lousy. The Dodo Marmarosa sounded fine.

I was really tempted to pick this up on Amazon with gift cards. Figuring that I'll have time to get it down the road, I ended up ordering the Bird Savoy and Dial box instead. In any event, I'm eagerly awaiting on the arrival of a huge hunk of Bird.

Be sure to check your set for a faulty sped up disc 4. There's no reason to believe faulty sets aren't still being send to consumers from old stock.

The total time on the corrected disc 4 reads 67:48 on my CD player, the defective disc 65:10.

Edited by erwbol

I was really tempted to pick this up on Amazon with gift cards. Figuring that I'll have time to get it down the road, I ended up ordering the Bird Savoy and Dial box instead. In any event, I'm eagerly awaiting on the arrival of a huge hunk of Bird.

Be sure to check your set for a faulty sped up disc 4. There's no reason to believe faulty sets aren't still being send to consumers from old stock.

The total time on the corrected disc 4 reads 67:48 on my CD player, the defective disc 65:10.

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.