Mosaic Dial set coming soon

miles65

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On page 19 of the booklet there's a photo of Bird in front of a 3 Deuces sign advertising" King of S........Sta(n?) .......Ssel Quintet." Bird is blocking the rest of the sign. Who was playing there? (Booklet says the photo is from 1950.)

Barney Kessel perhaps?

On page 19 of the booklet there's a photo of Bird in front of a 3 Deuces sign advertising" King of S........Sta(n?) .......Ssel Quintet." Bird is blocking the rest of the sign. Who was playing there? (Booklet says the photo is from 1950.)

stan hasselgard "be-bop king of sweden" with chuck wayne and max Roach? rest must be gene di novi and clyde lombardi. must be from September 1948.

Keep boppin´

marcel

and another one:

post-1254-0-87575400-1420490654_thumb.jp

post-1254-0-51006500-1420490829_thumb.jp

stan hasselgard "be-bop king of sweden" with chuck wayne and max Roach? rest must be gene di novi and clyde lombardi. must be from September 1948.

Keep boppin´

marcel

and another one:

Thanks. That's impressive that you figured it out.

The sonic debates that surrounded this set really had my curiosity piqued but because of the price point, I thought I'd not be picking this one up for a while. As I state above, I was shocked to receive it as a Christmas gift. Since then, I've listened to it at least three times over.

Overall, I think the set is superb. I've said it before - I particularly like this type of set from Mosaic wherein the output of a label is featured. In the case of Dial, I'd never heard most of the music in this set and am glad I was able to experience it for the first time.

Also, I'm not much of a comparison sort of guy, so I don't usually go to other releases to compare remasters. I suppose the fact that I still have most of the early McMaster Blue Notes and have not "upgraded" is somewhat telling. So, for the stuff I already have from this set - It depends on why I am listening to it as much as it does how it sounds. More often than not - when I reach for a set like the Dial set - it's exactly because I want to hear the output of the label rather than a particular artist.

In that respect, I think the music on this set sounds fabulous, but there are some moments that are better than others. Sometimes - and it's not limited to this set, but also to other sets of older music - I feel like that guy Francis from the movie 'Round Midnight - huddled outside the basement window of the Blue Note jazz club in Paris - listening to great jazz musicians, not caring how it sounded as much as enjoying the fact that he was able to hear this great music.

Don't get me wrong, I want to listen to the music in the best possible sound and I trust that a label like Mosaic is going to do their best to present the best possible sound in their sets. Speaking in general and not about the Dial set in particular - If/when there's the occasional whooshing of a cymbal, a muddled bass or some distortion of some other instrument - If it's been produced by a reputable company like Mosaic - I'll go into my "Francis" mode and simply enjoy the fact that I'm hearing - music that I otherwise never would have had the pleasure of enjoying.

Don't get me wrong, I want to listen to the music in the best possible sound and I trust that a label like Mosaic is going to do their best to present the best possible sound in their sets. Speaking in general and not about the Dial set in particular - If/when there's the occasional whooshing of a cymbal, a muddled bass or some distortion of some other instrument - If it's been produced by a reputable company like Mosaic - I'll go into my "Francis" mode and simply enjoy the fact that I'm hearing - music that I otherwise never would have had the pleasure of enjoying.

:tup:tup:tup

Feeling more and more inclined to get this set. Currently only have the Parker Dial mastertakes as part of the JSP Studio Chronicle set, have long planned to get the complete material but i want to get the best version once and for all. The complete Savoy/Dial box is an option but the thought of having to send away for a replacement disc as soon as the set arrives does my head in. But then some of the negativity surrounding this set is troubling... I dunno, the samples on the site sound good to me. Sigh, just don't want to spend all that money and wind up feeling punked. Surely Mosaic, and Horwich (!), know what they are doing. If the fruits of their labours weren't sounding right, surely they'd go back to the drawing board until they got it right. This is not something where they had the source material, pressed the 'process' button and then were bound to release whatever came out the other end. In Mosaic i continue to trust on this set? I'm leaning that way but i'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.

Feeling more and more inclined to get this set. Currently only have the Parker Dial mastertakes as part of the JSP Studio Chronicle set, have long planned to get the complete material but i want to get the best version once and for all. The complete Savoy/Dial box is an option but the thought of having to send away for a replacement disc as soon as the set arrives does my head in. But then some of the negativity surrounding this set is troubling... I dunno, the samples on the site sound good to me. Sigh, just don't want to spend all that money and wind up feeling punked. Surely Mosaic, and Horwich (!), know what they are doing. If the fruits of their labours weren't sounding right, surely they'd go back to the drawing board until they got it right. This is not something where they had the source material, pressed the 'process' button and then were bound to release whatever came out the other end. In Mosaic i continue to trust on this set? I'm leaning that way but i'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.

I think deciding when to buy something like the Parker Dials (and keep in mind that there is more to this set than just the Parker Dials) can be a little like deciding when to buy a new computer. As technologies change (and improve?), this is the kind of classic music that will probably be reissued again and again, making use of that new technology. It's especially the case with the Dials, since we lack the original masters. I can't imagine anyone ever doing it better than Mosaic, but I may have a different opinion when the music is reissued in a different--and for now, unknown--format in ten years or so. Of course, I'll probably buy that one too.....

gregmo

Edited by Greg M.

I think deciding when to buy something like the Parker Dials (and keep in mind that there is more to this set than just the Parker Dials) can be a little like deciding when to buy a new computer. As technologies change (and improve?), this is the kind of classic music that will probably be reissued again and again, making use of that new technology. It's especially the case with the Dials, since we lack the original masters. I can't imagine anyone ever doing it better than Mosaic, but I may have a different opinion when the music is reissued in a different--and for now, unknown--format in ten years or so. Of course, I'll probably buy that one too.....

gregmo

Yeah i think i'm going to end up getting this set, pretty much have my heart set on it and when that happens it's game over, for better or worse, unless something drastic happens. Having the non-Parker material in there actually appeals to me too. I'm going to wait until the Benedetti set comes off back order though... i've always wanted it and i figure 'Now's The Time'. Cheers.

• 3 months later...

I am very pleased with this set having listened to the first three discs - the sound is first rate considering the less than pristine sources. Some of the tracks do sound quite different to other CD releases of Dial material, but the Mosaic set is definitely the best. Although I haven't listened to the original Japanese release of the complete Dial.

My only quibble is that with the current Euro to $ exchange rate, my Mosaic box-set fetish is becomming ever more expensive!

• 3 years later...

I looked at the discography again and decided that there's enough stuff I don't have that I want to have that I ordered. Alternates and false starts don't bother me, that's the way my life is metaphorically, get a good take eventually, but sometimes shit happens, usally happens. But it's fun along the way!

I'm also curious about the controversial remastering. All of the Dial stuff I have always sounds worn. So let's see how this goes, what with the crystal clear sound and swooshy cymbals.

With the same considerations, let it be noted that I did not order the Savoy set. I carpe diemed all over the LPs back in the mid-late 70s and later to the thereabouts. Dial never got that easy a treatment here in the US. apparently Spotlite in the UK did all this stuff well, but outside of the Bird stuff, I never saw them all over the place like I did the Savoy. Not just the jazz, but the R&B sets too. They got that stuff out!

• 1 month later...

I ordered this when the repressing was announced. FYI, my copy has the following errors:

Disk 7 plays as Disk 9.
Disk 8 plays as Disk 7.
Disk 9 plays as Disk 8.

I suppose I have the whole set, but I emailed Mosaic anyway to let them know. Other recent purchasers may wish to check this out.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I'm reaching the end of the Dial box, listening to the last disc today.  It's poignant to see that Ross Russell only recorded one session after the last Bird session; I guess he lost interest after he lost Bird to Norman Granz.

Hmmm...not really accurate, Russell & Dial stayed active for a few more years, but with then-contemporary classical music.

https://www.discogs.com/label/50041-Dial-Records-3