Mosaic Dial set coming soon

miles65

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna have to say, after running downstairs and listening to the Savoy - Complete Dial and Sony masters that I will probably stay away from this unless it can be explained why the drums are such a mess on Cool Blues on the Mosaic, whereas they are absolutely fine on the Complete Dial and Sony Masters; I also, btw, hear this strange digital artifact response on the Dexter Gordon that's on the web site.

I have a feeling that, if these are what JLH had to work with, someone did some real (processing) damage before he got to them.

though it is possible these are just the compressed files; but that really should not cause this kind of thing.

Edited by AllenLowe

The faulty sound samples on the Mosaic site (http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=260-MD-CD)have been replaced with corrected versions. They sound pretty darn good to me.

Nope, still has prominent digital artefacts to my ears. I don't know enough about the process involved, but it sounds consistent with working with low bitrate transfers.

Nope, still has prominent digital artefacts to my ears. I don't know enough about the process involved, but it sounds consistent with working with low bitrate transfers.

Low bitrate for samples put online only?

Hopefully so.

Because if used for the actual remastering, then - OUCH!

But I think this will be impossible to be settled before one has heard an actual set as released.

Afterthought:

@Allen Lowe:

I have not listened to the respective online sampes but since you initially said you were going to get this for the Dodo: What is so bad (comparatively speaking) about the Dodo recordings on that Spotlite LP? I am not a musician nor a sound engineer nor did I ever care to find out what would be technically possible in the digital age but that Dodo LP has been spun countless times here and within the way I tend to listen to 78rpm-era reissues I overall cannot fault it for anything.

The Dodos are decent but I am assuming that they will be improved on this as the sources appear to be better; or maybe not. At this point I am not sure what I am going to do; if I can be reassured that the box will not have what has been discussed above, I may pick it up. Not sure yet.

yeah, as I said, my main concern is the way those samples on the site have the tell-tale weird digital compression/gurgle/artifacts; it's a lot of money for me, and I would feel better if I knew what the finals sounded like - JLH around?

Edited by AllenLowe

yeah, as I said, my main concern is the way those samples on the site have the tell-tale weird digital compression/gurgle/artifacts; it's a lot of money for me, and I would feel better if I knew what the finals sounded like - JLH around?

JLH weighed in about that track above.

JLH weighed in about that track above.

Yes, but ultimately that doesn't tell all that much as far as I can see:

Edit: Jonathan, I just saw your comment on this thread, thanks!... I don't know what sources you used for this transfer, but are they that quiet that the Parker samples on the Mosaic website have no discernible background noise?.. ...

I found some sound samples online from the Fremeaux Charlie Parker edition, and in particular the "Cool Blues" one does have more top end to the cymbals sound. Also I hear more distortion, probably because they did not work from pristine copies.

Thanks. The sources we used were from Mosaic as provided. I won't go into details ...

Not taking sides in this debate, just wondering (and being puzzled ...)

there is a lot of very nice clarity on those site samples, on the horn - but whatever is going on with the drums is not going on in other sources I have. Once again I don't know if that's what the finished product will sound like, but it's too much money for me not to be certain; especially when I have a lot of the Dial from other acceptable sources (and the Garner I can do without; his solo playing from this era is a bit florid).

Edited by AllenLowe

what about the "i wished on the moon" track from the earl coleman / fats Navarro session from November 48? still missing (but exist!!)

Keep boppin´

marcel

wow, yeah. Didn't even make it on to the Bebop Revisited album that collected the rest(?) of the session.

Regarding source materials, here's some perhaps interesting reading for people such as myself who don't really know the full back story of Dial's post-78 progressions/possessions: http://books.google.com/books?id=m8NNXtuFeukC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=dial+ethnic+series&source=bl&ots=zaJ880-Uhq&sig=ddidZcXDl4HcNUx0Y7ndnJYcWD4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bq41VP3FGZKuyASq9oGwBw&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=dial%20ethnic%20series&f=false

(and the Garner I can do without; his solo playing from this era is a bit florid).

What are the estate rights surrounding Garner these days? I know the estate blocked a full-scale Mosaic but here he is on the Dial set and he was on the Piano Moods set as well.

what about the "i wished on the moon" track from the earl coleman / fats Navarro session from November 48? still missing (but exist!!)

Keep boppin´

marcel

wow, yeah. Didn't even make it on to the Bebop Revisited album that collected the rest(?) of the session.

Regarding source materials, here's some perhaps interesting reading for people such as myself who don't really know the full back story of Dial's post-78 progressions/possessions: http://books.google.com/books?id=m8NNXtuFeukC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=dial+ethnic+series&source=bl&ots=zaJ880-Uhq&sig=ddidZcXDl4HcNUx0Y7ndnJYcWD4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bq41VP3FGZKuyASq9oGwBw&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=dial%20ethnic%20series&f=false

according to the book "the Music and life of theodore fats Navarro-infatuation" by leif bo petersen and Theo rehak (lanham 2009) there exist two takes of "i wished on the moon"; one take of "guilty"; two takes of "yardbird Suite"; one take of "a stranger in town"; two takes of "as time goes by" and two takes of "move". all the alternates and the wished on the moon takes are on 10-inch test "play-back" Studio lacquer discs in a privat collection. love to hear this! there is so much out there......

Keep boppin´

marcel

been busy listening to my various DIals; including boots, stuff from odd Euro lables, Fresh sound, etc. Will Probably stick with what I got until I can hear something actually issued. I hate to deal with returns. The Sonny Berman stuff is some of my favorites, too. Will have to see.

Edited by AllenLowe