nellie-padded.png

Greetings all.

I've been hesitant to publicize the following, and for a true bunch of complicated (and probably over-thought as well as overwrought) reasons. But having reminded myself recently of the generosity of the community here, and of the fact that I've now been able to call myself your neighbor, at least in a virtual sense, for over 15 years (!), I finally feel comfortable with this news with you.

On November 1, Jaded Ibis Press will be publishing my debut novel, Crepuscule W/ Nellie. As you might imagine from its title, the novel does in fact have much to do with Thelonious Monk. I.e., the novel's narrative's circulate around him and his cabaret card-less years in the 50s, but, in more importantly, the novel is only about Monk inasmuch as he was a presence in the life of two fascinating women: his wife Nellie, and his patron / confidante the Baroness Pannonica de Koenigswarter.

You can learn more about the novel, read some rather embarrassingly approbative blurbs for it, and find links to excerpts from the book at my personal website here: http://www.slowstudies.net/jmilazzo/crepuscule-w-nellie/.

Crepuscule W/ Nellie is not historical fiction in the conventional sense of the term. However, it is novel that knows it is work of fiction and never pretends to be anything other than that. Much in the book is imagined (the origins of its composition predating Robin D.G. Kelley's scholarship); perhaps it can be described as a kind of improvisation on the speculations, rumors and myths that have hovered around these three figures. It is therefore a book that, because it is rather concerned with notions of truth and authenticity (among other themes) is often loose in its accuracy. I.e., if you don't want to read something that ignores, fuzzies up and / or flat contradicts known facts about Monk's life, this may not be a book that rewards your attentions.

Now that I've issued those caveat emptors... my publisher has provided me with a PDF of the advance reader's copy (ARC) of the novel, and I would be happy to make that file available to any Organissimo member interested in poring over one. If so, please just PM me. I'm less concerned with sales than with having readers, and I can't think of readership I respect more than this board.

Thanks all for putting up with this pitch. Best,

JM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nellie-padded.png

Greetings all.

I've been hesitant to publicize the following, and for a true bunch of complicated (and probably over-thought as well as overwrought) reasons. But having reminded myself recently of the generosity of the community here, and of the fact that I've now been able to call myself your neighbor, at least in a virtual sense, for over 15 years (!), I finally feel comfortable with this news with you.

On November 1, Jaded Ibis Press will be publishing my debut novel, Crepuscule W/ Nellie. As you might imagine from its title, the novel does in fact have much to do with Thelonious Monk. I.e., the novel's narrative's circulate around him and his cabaret card-less years in the 50s, but, in more importantly, the novel is only about Monk inasmuch as he was a presence in the life of two fascinating women: his wife Nellie, and his patron / confidante the Baroness Pannonica de Koenigswarter.

You can learn more about the novel, read some rather embarrassingly approbative blurbs for it, and find links to excerpts from the book at my personal website here: http://www.slowstudies.net/jmilazzo/crepuscule-w-nellie/.

Crepuscule W/ Nellie is not historical fiction in the conventional sense of the term. However, it is novel that knows it is work of fiction and never pretends to be anything other than that. Much in the book is imagined (the origins of its composition predating Robin D.G. Kelley's scholarship); perhaps it can be described as a kind of improvisation on the speculations, rumors and myths that have hovered around these three figures. It is therefore a book that, because it is rather concerned with notions of truth and authenticity (among other themes) is often loose in its accuracy. I.e., if you don't want to read something that ignores, fuzzies up and / or flat contradicts known facts about Monk's life, this may not be a book that rewards your attentions.

Now that I've issued those caveat emptors... my publisher has provided me with a PDF of the advance reader's copy (ARC) of the novel, and I would be happy to make that file available to any Organissimo member interested in poring over one. If so, please just PM me. I'm less concerned with sales than with having readers, and I can't think of readership I respect more than this board.

Thanks all for putting up with this pitch. Best,

JM

Awesome news Joe! I know how long you have been working on this and in fact have long ago had a peek. Congrats and job well done!

I want to buy a copy so please be sure to let us know how and where. And don't be shy or embarassed, this is an achievement to be very proud of.

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks all, and deeply. I will be happy to send updates as we get closer to November 1.

You can find the book on Goodreads, if you use that service: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22886178-crepuscule-w-nellie.

Copies will be available directly from the publisher as well as (ulp!) Amazon. I am also working directly with independent bookstores whenever and wherever possible. I will try and maintain a list of where the book should be available for purchase on my website.

Best,

JM

Me too. Is it unfair to compare the concept to "The Bear Comes Home"?

I might liken it more to Geoff Dyer's BUT BEAUTIFUL* because of some shared premises (real musicians, real occurrences), but I'd like to think that this book has more Zabor-like than Dyer-like moments. For sure. It's just not fabulist in the way that THE BEAR COMES HOME is.

* A book that was published a couple of years after I began my working on this in earnest and very nearly caused so much agony / agonizing that I abandoned my project (for the first time... but that its own long story).

Edited by Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all.

Jaded Ibis is now accepting pre-orders of this title. As with any direct purchase from the small (boutique?) record label of your choice, so too with small publishers. The price of the book has gone up a bit more than is ideal (long story there), and I will probably be selling copies myself in the near future. Either way, any support you choose to lend is greatly appreciated.

http://bit.ly/1rT6Kxn

Thanks; best,

JM

display.jpg

Edited by Joe

Looking forward to reading this. Any European distribution in the pipeline? I suspect not but no harm is asking :)

I really, really, really want a European audience to have ready access to this book. Alas, Jaded Ibis has no European distributor of which I am aware.

The book will be carried by Amazon (after November 1), and I believe that includes the co.uk, .fr etc. Amazon domains. I will coonfirm this, however, and report back.

Hey, we love our Dick Van Dyke couch!

Seriously, we're working on getting it recovered... have the fabric, just need a good upholsterer... recommendations in the DFW area welcome...

OMG, I was watching some DVD last night, saw the sofa, and said to myself, hey, wait a second....and here we have confirmation.

We had a sofa reupholstered about a decade ago by Childress Fabrics in Frisco and were/have been well-pleased by the results. But the online reviews are terrible, and it was a decade ago. They've been in business since 1958)?, so maybe a new generation has taken over and is not handling their business.

We've had other furniture repair done by our local Furniture Medic and have been extremely pleased. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Furniture+Medic/@33.063035,-96.792787,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xd54fc9785c3fbb66

Hey, we love our Dick Van Dyke couch!

Seriously, we're working on getting it recovered... have the fabric, just need a good upholsterer... recommendations in the DFW area welcome...

OMG, I was watching some DVD last night, saw the sofa, and said to myself, hey, wait a second....and here we have confirmation.

We had a sofa reupholstered about a decade ago by Childress Fabrics in Frisco and were/have been well-pleased by the results. But the online reviews are terrible, and it was a decade ago. They've been in business since 1958)?, so maybe a new generation has taken over and is not handling their business.

We've had other furniture repair done by our local Furniture Medic and have been extremely pleased. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Furniture+Medic/@33.063035,-96.792787,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xd54fc9785c3fbb66

Oh yeah! He had a guy we liked but he "disappeared." (You know what I mean.) I trust open flame was not involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations. I am not familiar with the book Chuck was referring to, but there are a handful of novels about real-life individuals where it is clear it is a work of fiction, i.e. somewhat metafiction.

I've just started Leonid Tsypkin's Summer in Baden Baden which is a recreation of Dostoevsky's time in Germany (still in the thrall of his gambling addiction) and his last days, combined with Tsypkin's own visit to the Dostoevsky Museum. I'm sure it's not exactly the effect you were going for, but there might be parallels. Hopefully, someday I will be able to read both and compare the two.