Woman reviews her husband's "stupid record collection"

blind-blake

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cue ponytail:

vvvvvvvv

Note the attention to proper sanitary practices. I would trust her to handle my records, unlike that Toscanini cat who was a freakin' groper, right?

But review them? What happens to the chocolate then? She feels resentment that she's diverting her personal passion to my own? And then what, she overcompesates with the chocolate, gets all fat and shit, everybody loses their self-esteem and gets shows on E! or some such? How does that leave anything better than it began?

I'm telling you, that NPR guy is flirting with disaster, if not already penetrating it.

AR34-SOFTBALL-06-RQ_G.gif

FWIW there is a picture of NPR guy's wife where she appears to have a ponytail on one of the other posts on her blog (a post on Louis Armstrong)... would post it here but somehow i feel like things would be getting even weirder.

Edited by xybert

I am really surprised by the reactions to this blog. In the past year I have had to socialize with over a hundred adults from around the country, in different walks of life, for my business. My impression is that she is more receptive to jazz than 99.9999999999999999 per cent of the American adult population. Her comments are vastly more perceptive than I would receive from any of the many highly educated professionals I have been dealing with recently. None of them can sit through a song from "Mingus Ah Um" which comes on as background music in the upscale restaurant we are meeting in, without making derogatory comments. I can only imagine any of them being exposed to Albert Ayler for more than five seconds--it would not be pretty.

I think that the fixation with her hair and appearance is strange, and not up to the usual standard of discussion here at Organissimo.

I am glad I have had to get out and be with mainstream Americans in large numbers, because I now realize what an isolated cocoon jazz fanatics live in. To get ANYONE to have ANY interest in jazz today is a major miracle. We should be rejoicing that a single person out there is even trying to write about it.

I like her writing style too. She is funny and perceptive, in a non-judgmental way. I think that if you played this Albert Ayler album for about anyone in America, apart from the few hundred jazz fanatics on online boards, the reaction would be a string of obscenities at best.

For people to say that if a spouse doesn't like jazz, they are somehow less of a person, or a bad influence on children--wow, that is really strange to me. How many members of the opposite sex do you really know? I have met less than five women in my life who really liked jazz. Maybe I have been unlucky.

Come on guys, I think classifying some of the comments on this thread in the hate and sexist categories is wrong. She put herself out there and obviously wanted to draw attention to the whole thing, right? Since when is reviewing the reviewer off limits?

Or is it just off limits if you don't think it's cute, funny or perceptive?

To me the whole thing is like reading those fucking dorks writing restaurant reviews on Yelp that start by saying, "I really wanted to like_____________, but"....

Hey, I couldn't write a professional caliber review to save my life, in fact I'm struggling with this post, so I won't deny her writing skills and ability, but I reserve the right to think the whole idea is silly.

Edited by catesta

There is no hate.

There is a lot of riffing on ponytails (how can you hate ponytails?), "cuteness", and, sorta, NPR & NPR husbands with lameass record collections.

What I'm not following is, the line from, hey, don't get all angsty about it, it's FUN, and then when FUN starts being had, that's hate? Like, if you don't love it for its cuteness you hate it? Hate is now defined as an refusal to accept The Publicly Offered Gift Of Cuteness?

I'm kinda like, uh, if you want to be cute and be sure it's Nothing But Loved!!!!, limit your offering to anywhere less than Fully Public. It's like people think that a public blog is the same thing as having a few friends over for drinks and board games.

Well, no, it's not.

esq-bill-temple-ponytail-092611-lg.jpg

The idea may be silly. If I tried to write a blog about someone's collection of traditional Scottish folk music, I would be floundering for sure, and someone might well ask, why is he doing it? I guess I would hope that people would be a bit kind about it, and not have a knee jerk nasty reaction. If they made numerous comments about my physical appearance in my photo attached to such a blog, I would be in real trouble!

I find that happens so often these days, that people react to things that are not inherently offensive with very negative, rather hurtful communication. It didn't seem to be that way years ago, betraying my advanced years here. I wonder why and how that happened.

Well now, looking a little further, the dude's record collection seems pretty lame too (plenty of "good records" in there, but nothing that betrays too much more than somebody who appreciated the best/better of the obvious...no harm there, but, uh, yeah, oh, hmmmm), so its as much his fault as it is hers, maybe even more.

I think I'd like her better with a pony tail, actually. all the girls in the commercials who are getting my attention have pony tails, so if she's wanting attention, that's what I'd recommend, not sillyass "chick" record reviews. That's just doing everybody a disservice, especially her. Otherwise, maybe learn some shit and then form an opinion, slowly.

This is the only "comment" on her appearance, and the genesis of the ponytail riffing. Basic comedic/compositional pivoting construct, really.

2318.Sabin.jpg

I find that happens so often these days, that people react to things that are not inherently offensive with very negative, rather hurtful communication.

Yes! Exactly! People taking offense just to be offended!

I heard some commentator say the other day in regard to some comment that "it doesn't matter in what spirit an action was undertaken", to which I promptly called a loud BULLSHIT, because then, ok then, you're telling me that you don't have any interest in resolving a misunderstanding by deepening a mutual understanding, you just don't want to deal with any of it, and shut up anybody who says something you don't like, so fuck that, and oh, why are you so touchy about it, huh, maybe you're trying to stifle confronting your own insecuriites and supressed hostilities. That's what I told her.

And then I noticed she had a ponytail, so I smiled warmly, took another sip of the Chardonnay, apologized for ever having dared to have a point of view of my own, and went back to my James Taylor MP3s.

Dartmoor_pony_2.jpg