Woman reviews her husband's "stupid record collection"

blind-blake

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't we discussed this before? Typical contemporary crap: selfcentered, revelling in its own ignorance, utterly pointless.
except, she kinda gets it, despite herself - except for Ghosts, Alberts tunes are more gestures than tunes- and that is kinda interesting, both the thing itself and her kinda getting it, but I still find her totally annoying...

I think i liked it better when squares didn't bother trying to understand, or more accurately, thinking they needed to understand, that life owed them an explanation they could understand for every damn thing, and just went on with their business. Nothing wrong with being square, plenty wrong with being wrong, so just drive through life like you do on the road, slow traffic keep right and everybody gets to where they need to be, each in their own way, ok? No tailgating, and no passive-aggressive driving the speed limit in the far left lane. Plenty road for everybody unless this shit happens, and then, ok, you gonna make me have an opinion? then ok here it is, fuck you. Satisfied now?

And see, that's what passes for "passion" these days. lol at that.

Well now, looking a little further, the dude's record collection seems pretty lame too (plenty of "good records" in there, but nothing that betrays too much more than somebody who appreciated the best/better of the obvious...no harm there, but, uh, yeah, oh, hmmmm), so its as much his fault as it is hers, maybe even more.

I think I'd like her better with a pony tail, actually. all the girls in the commercials who are getting my attention have pony tails, so if she's wanting attention, that's what I'd recommend, not sillyass "chick" record reviews. That's just doing everybody a disservice, especially her. Otherwise, maybe learn some shit and then form an opinion, slowly.

Well, she said more about one album than anyone has ever posted on this board. She thinks about affect which most of us here struggle to discuss. If you read most record reviews, they are no more technical than this, in fact. I quite like reading someone who has ZERO interest in piling stuff up, getting the extra tracks, comparing masterings and, uh, all the extra-musical non-aesthetic stuff we usually bang on about.

Jus' sayin'.

After 35 - 40 years of listening to this music, I still don't understand the relationship of the "tune" sections of Ayler's music to the free sections within the same composition. It still scares me while hearing it, as if someone's having a schizoid attack right in front of my eyes. I actually think she described the music on that album accurately; good for her that she made the attempt.

Edited by mjzee

Well now, looking a little further, the dude's record collection seems pretty lame too (plenty of "good records" in there, but nothing that betrays too much more than somebody who appreciated the best/better of the obvious...no harm there, but, uh, yeah, oh, hmmmm), so its as much his fault as it is hers, maybe even more.

Agreed. Dude works for NPR so hey, no wonder this blog has gotten a ton of press. Barf.

Then again I doubt I could pay my g/f to go through my collection record by record and write about it.

I would not want my wife to go through my record collection and write about it, any more than she would want me to go through her closet and write about her shoes. Those are things that we have by ourselves for ourselves, and although we will sometime share in the end-result delights thereof, that's an offshoot of the their existence, not the reason behind it.

I bet they're a cute couple though.

I would not want my wife to go through my record collection and write about it, any more than she would want me to go through her closet and write about her shoes. Those are things that we have by ourselves for ourselves, and although we will sometime share in the end-result delights thereof, that's an offshoot of the their existence, not the reason behind it.

Reminds me of a friend who thought he was helping his wife when he went into her closet and reorganized her shoes in alphabetical order according to the brand name of each pair of shoes. My friend is no longer married.

I will say that my wife has totally acclimated to my music over the 14 years we've been married. She doesn't hear anything as "weird" anymore, whether it's King Oliver or Albert Ayler. She thinks it's strange when I listen to Dylan or the Radiators, or anything that "normal" people would listen to.