Blindfold test #127 discussion

Homefromtheforest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea about 1-1.

1-3 sounds like someone who's listened to McLean pretty heavily, as well as some Gary Bartz. So it's someone of that ilk who I'm not placing for some reason. Sonny Fortune maybe? The drummer is tough. Some wonderful playing here. The pianist is odd and infectious. Whatever this is I need to get a copy.

1-5 has a nice inside-outside feel, though the theme is kind of annoying. The alto player sounds very familiar to me - Ken McIntyre is a thought, though I'm not convinced it's him. Whoever it is also quotes Ornette's "Ramblin'" very nicely at the end of his solo.

Edited by clifford_thornton

No idea about 1-1.

1-3 sounds like someone who's listened to McLean pretty heavily, as well as some Gary Bartz. So it's someone of that ilk who I'm not placing for some reason. Sonny Fortune maybe? The drummer is tough. Some wonderful playing here. The pianist is odd and infectious. Whatever this is I need to get a copy.

My first impression was that it was some obscure McLean date from the 70s. Doesn't fit with anything, but I agree whoever it is is a big Jackie Mc fan. The pianist sounds a bit like Mal Waldron at one point. I wonder if it is the pianist's tune?

Here are my impressions (note I did not say guesses) for the second half of this BFT:

2-1. This sounds like a 1970s avant garde recording, like the Arista Freedom LPs I bought back then. I may have this lbum and just don't remember it. It's an interesting performance in this genre.

2-2. This is really appealing, and gets more interesting as it goes on. I really like the guitarist's tone and ideas.All of the solos are on a high level. I can't wait to find out who this is!

2-3. I love this one. A rousing, fun performance. A memorable head. Excellent solos by all. Another recording I want to get.

2-4. Excellent! They swing. The saxophonist plays in a very Coltrane style but with originality. That is among my favorite area of listening. The trumpet player is a very strong soloist. It sounds like two giants recording together.

2-5. It sounds like Horace Silver's "Sister Sadie" recorded by a group that had too many double espressos right before the recordin Then it gets more imaginative. Very fun and interesting. Who would record something like this? I can't wait to find out.

Edited by Hot Ptah

2-6. This strikes me as a newer recording. The electric piano is outstandind, intense and fluid. The drum solo is strong and unusual. I have no idea who this is and want to know!

2-7. Is this what they call ambient music? It reminds me of John Zorn's "Absinthe" album, which is an entire album that sounds like this. I have tried for mellow endings to some of my BFTs and this works as the ending to a most provocative and curiosity motivating BFT.

2-6. This strikes me as a newer recording. The electric piano is outstandind, intense and fluid. The drum solo is strong and unusual.

It's actually over 40 years old!

Good to see that my batting average remains below the Mendoza line. I might faint if I actually guessed correctly on a BFT track.

I haven't read the other replies yet.

1-1 No clue to who this is, but I did enjoy it a lot. I can't wait to see the answers. Something I will put on my list of recordings to get.

1-2 Is it Joe Zawinul's Syndicate? It sounds like him on keyboards.

1-3 No idea.

1-4 No idea, but I am sure I've heard this before.

1-5 No idea, I liked it. Another to add to my list.

1-6 Nice tune. Not sure who these guys are.

1-7 Strong players but no clue.

Will give disc 2 a listen tomorrow. I hope I can do better than one guess.

2-6. This strikes me as a newer recording. The electric piano is outstandind, intense and fluid. The drum solo is strong and unusual.

It's actually over 40 years old!

I thought I had it figured out this morning and then realized my next guess was wrong. Stumped on this. It's really quite wonderful. Knowing my luck, I probably have it in the racks and just forgot about it.

I haven't read the other replies yet.

1-1 No clue to who this is, but I did enjoy it a lot. I can't wait to see the answers. Something I will put on my list of recordings to get.

1-2 Is it Joe Zawinul's Syndicate? It sounds like him on keyboards.

1-3 No idea.

1-4 No idea, but I am sure I've heard this before.

1-5 No idea, I liked it. Another to add to my list.

1-6 Nice tune. Not sure who these guys are.

1-7 Strong players but no clue.

Will give disc 2 a listen tomorrow. I hope I can do better than one guess.

1-2 is not Joe Zawinul but that's actually not a bad guess! I love his keyboard work on the first few Weather Report albums and I can see some similarity...

Well when I was putting it together I did make a conscious effort to make it listenable and flow..like a really good mix tape like I used to do in the late 80s/early 90s in the cassette days. I didn't want to make it totally obscure so I threw in a handful of tracks that I figured would be easier to guess and so far those have been the ones identified correctly. So I'll admit I did select some obscure tracks but I made sure they were strong and listenable selections..not just obscure for obscure's sake.

I would assume if more people participated then the combined knowledge and experience of other listeners would reveal a few more titles?

Anyway I look forward to the reveal in a week or so!

Edited by Homefromtheforest

Some goodies in this one. Listening was spaced out over the course of the month -- stupid job!

Track 1 - I’m liking the percussion, but there is a drop off in the nice feel that’s been established once the soprano comes in. The pseudo-folk melody doesn’t really mesh. John Surman does some stuff like this (it’s not him) and that’s the one thing about him that kind of rubs me. I would enjoy this more if it would try to be less.

Track 2 - Drums have that Bitches Brew feel. Loving the bass. Ideas are very Stan Clarke of the period, but the sound is McBee. I’ll split the difference and guess Miroslav Vitous.
Track 3 - Hate the sound, right off the bat; very shrill. Drums and piano are anxious, too busy. Alto had me thinking Jackie on the head, but I can’t imagine him doing something like this. They can’t all be “winning”.
Track 4 - That’s got to be Tomasz Stanko. Loving that tone and the un-time feel behind him. Free without being too messy. I love his style. He’s not anybody else. I mean, he’s not Lee Morgan, but he’s so unique that I dig him. Also very much sound like an ECM recording, but I have no idea what it is.
Track 5 - Hehe… students in a science class are doing “the cilia dance” in front of me as I listen to this (making good use of a prep block!). A little honky-tonk for my taste, but a some serious chops on the alto. Not familiar with the player. Heartfelt, and soulful, though I find the rhythm section not fully in sync (particularly piano). This would be a lot of fun to see live (where pianist would be less obtrusive than s/he is banging away in my left ear). I’m wondering if the pianist is the leader because what s/he is doing is WAY up in the mix on my headphones (earbuds) and really inspiring some pretty serious hatred. The piano solo is okay, it’s the comping that’s grating. Wait, now s/he’s ruining the solo, too. Hope this is not someone I typically like, because this is really getting to me; too bad because otherwise I like the hell out of the track. Could be Cecil, hellbent on annoying me. Some judicious editing and this track could be a keeper.
Track 6 - A cover of Peace Piece. Not caring for the sound of the keys (doesn’t sound acoustic to me). I like the bass taking the lead. Feels like the tempo is a bit rushed… or maybe like it’s overdubbed leading to a rushed feel. And now an “original” head. I like it, though I feel for Mr. Evans’ estate. Touches of Kenny Wheeler, but not him. Sounds like one of the Steeplechase guys to me (McNeil, Smoker), but not with any degree of confidence. I like the tenor player’s sound, but it’s not intensely personal, so I have no guess as to who it is. Seems to be playing honestly rather than from memory (yes, that’s a shot at the conservatory set; like to hear more of this type of playing!). Wish this went on a bit; sort of feel like they only scratched the surface of what they were building. Pianist definitely owes Bill Evans some royalties.
Track 7 - I’m inclined to say this has to be Steve Lacy as I can’t think of anyone who has that type of control over the horn. The tone doesn’t seem quite warm enough, though. I couldn’t listen to much of this, but man, I sure admire the musicianship.
Disc 2
Track 1 - Dueling bass claris!??! I hope so. Be so much cooler than an overdub. This is fun and would be incredibly awesome live!
Track 2 - Three-four; I’m in. That piano sounds like it has 112 keys — nice, wide open sound. Very much an early 80s (late 70s?) sound, but I like it. They’ve got that nice, loping 3/4 feel down. Not sure how we made our way from this to the current, frenetic, mathematical approach, but I sure wish we’d paused a bit longer here. This is an absolute keeper, but I have no guess.
Track 3 - I believe I detected a needle drop here, but it could be the rain (we’re getting swamped here in central New England). Fun gallop to this, though not enamored of the soprano sound. That’s my stuff — just not a big fan of the instrument. Digging the solo, idea-wise; (intonation is sketchy as hell, though). Sounds like someone from that period where every tenor player had to had a soprano track on his/her record (see how careful I’m being?). Not sure about that breakdown… seems to kind of… break down. Piano solo is working, though. It’s got some of that abstract nature that disc 1, track 5 had, except that seems to make sense, musically, to me where the other did not. Digging that ‘bone, too. Never really warmed up to that instrument until I had the opportunity to play with Derek Kwong. Now it’s my preferred second voice in a two-horn setting. Not one of my usual guys (Harris, Anderson, Rudd) but not far from it, either. Bitchin’ bass solo. I think I recognize that bassist, but I’m not getting a name. Man, this guy’s a bitch! Track overall is a keeper. Very dig!
Track 4 - Straight ahead as can be. Liking this a lot. Has the sound of one of the old Muse sides. Soprano sound suggests a doubler to me, but a bad man. I’m trying to think of this player as a tenor, but I can’t quite place the phrasing. Almost somebody like Curtis Amy. Thoughtful, patient trumpet solo, with the occasional short, ripping burst. I like this a lot. I don’t believe I have this, but I will have to rectify that. Something about that last line in the trumpet solo is remarkably familiar… This is killin’.
Track 5 - More needle drop. This suffers from being a bit too modern for its own good. Sort of like that Chico Freeman record with Bobby McFerrin. The solos speak to me more than the song itself. Quite liked the soprano solo. The “duet” segment is less up my alley, but still interesting. Saxophonist has a decidedly Gary Bartz influence, but perhaps a tier below that in terms of technique; works well, though. Detest the sound of the drums (ease up on that compressor, Mr. Engineer!). That bass sound is very familiar. The harmonics are throwing me, though. It’s not Cecil.
Track 6 - Tremendous technique on the head, but seems to not have quite the same chops on the improv sections. Doesn’t really swing to my ear. Has a lot of a highly technical lines and patterns down, but I’m not hearing the grit. I like the overall feel of the tune (rhodes is typically a win for me). Bass/drums are locked in nicely.
Drum solo is kind of standard fare, seems less locked in than when playing with the whole group. Soloing seems to have the same issue I noted with the saxophonist. Drum sound reminds me of Kenny Clarke, but it’s not him. I don’t care for the separation in this recording; very apparent on the phones. Drums are seemingly all on the left, bass in the center, keys on the right… not a natural separation, at all.
Track 7 - Cool droniness. Doesn’t really work where I’m listening, but a Friday night at home, lights off — perfect.

I'm thinking I like your ears! Thanks for the test!

Well, late for the kickoff, but not the final score.

1 Oh, this is kinda groovy! Not a soprano sax, I think, one of those Arabic or Turkish instruments. And the improvisation’s nice – not trying to go way out but keeping to a limited frame, which is the way they do things out there and in many parts of West Africa.

No idea who or what this is, but it’s probably not FROM out there. Interesting start to the BFT, thanks.

2 Well, I’ve gotta say it; this sounds like the accompaniment to a TV advert for automated toy soldiers, goosestepping around to the rhythm, sometimes climbing over obstacles like piles of books, and falling over as they do. Nothing really WRONG with the music, but not that interesting, I’m afraid. (Of course, I could be mad.)

3 Oh, I don’t like this – it’s making my head ache. Probably nowt to do with the music, but more my medical condition, but I’m skipping to the next.

4 Unremittingly modern theme and arrangement but the trumpet player’s not going too far out for his ability. In fact he’s a pretty good trumpeter, I’d guess. But, despite the slow pace, the piece is relentless. Maybe that’s the idea.

5 There’s a strange swing to this one which at a guess I’d say comes from the musicians wanting to swing, but not to SEEM as if they’re swinging. Or perhaps the soloists are swinging in spite of the drummer. I dunno, it seems rhythmically lopsided to me. But not in a groovy way; in a kind of spiteful way, as if someone’s arm’s being twisted up their back.

6 Awful head – a head with a headache :D – but a kind of interesting middle. But nothing unusual; nothing that grabs; either in a good or bad way.

7 Hm – I shouldn’t be surprised if all these tracks so far were by the same band. There’s a unity of approach – even with this one, which starts with self-consciously-made semi-artificial noises – that doesn’t seem to allow for any emotion, either in the players or the audience. It’s more like academic exercises than living music.

2.01 Well, I thought that now coming on to track 2.01 might mean something different. Life’s full of these little disappointments, isn’t it? :g

2.02 Ah, nice lounge music! No, it isn’t but it’s so relaxing at this juncture – and I see there’s seven minutes of it. This is modern, too, quite recent I’ll guess (ie less than 30 years old :D) and yet I can hear a Grant Green influence in the guitar player which I really wouldn’t expect. And some Cedar Walton in the pianner player. It’s certainly NOT Grant Green and probably not Cedar, either. Pretty pleasant though, if not terribly meaningful.

2.03 Well, I can definitely tell that we’re back in the land of not quite but almost exactly unlike human beings. Sorry to seem as if I’m writing sleeve notes for the album ‘Music to make sarcastic remarks about’, but, honestly, that’s how much of the music here seems to me.

2.04 The head seems as if it was lifted from a nondescript morning at a Blue Note rehearsal. But once they leave it behind, there’s some good playing, with a trumpet player who sounds a lot like Freddie Hubbard. Since it’s almost certainly not Hubbard, he sounds too much like Hubbard.

2.05 I can’t help wondering what kind of audience whose needs these guys think they’re addressing. That’s a serious question. They’re obviously more than competent but, as far as I can hear, they’re not reaching out to anyone. I suppose I’ll be told that I’m supposed to reach out to them; well, that isn’t the way it works. Still, my dog’s not complaining about it.

2.06 Hm, nuff sed.

2.07 No, not enough said. I REALLY don’t see the purpose of a piece like this.

Not sorry I listened to this - thanks. But I am sorry to be so out of step with your intentions. Onward to Mongo Santamaria’s ‘In the midnight hour’ :g

MG