Blindfold test #127 discussion

Homefromtheforest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-1 No idea, but up my alley. Will guess it is of more recent vintage than the other selections on part 1.

1-2 Well, this sure sounds like it needs to be early Weather Report, Zawinul and Miroslav Vitous. Except there is no Wayne Shorter in earshot. Need this in my collection if it isn’t already there.

1-3 Very pleasant. The drummer is overplaying some IMO, so I would guess that it’s the drummer’s album. Cindy Blackman maybe?

1-4 Moody and interesting. I like the bass player best. Greatly influenced by “Bitches Brew”, so early 70’s I assume.

1-5 Reminds me of Monk with Charlie Rouse,but simplified?

1-6 “Peace Piece” , the Bill Evans variant of “Some other Time”. Love the way this unfolds, and could listen to what the horn players are doing on it all day long. I’ll need to get this one if I don’t already have it.

1-7 Wanted to ridicule this at first, but as it unfolded it started to make more sense. Still not anything I would ever go pull off the shelf to listen to, but has historical value or whatever, I’m sure. Reminds me of some of the stuff Marion Brown did at times, like “Afternoon of a Georgia Faun”.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-1 Annoying as all get-out, and much too self-consciously clever.

2-2 I like the sound of the group, like what every one of the musicians is doing. Is this from vinyl rather than a CD?

2-3 I love this! Grachan Moncur on trombone?

2-4 I own this, I know I do! And it’s great! Shoot, what is it? This one also sounds like it might be ripped from vinyl. Or maybe an old cassette, as there seems to be tape drag in places. The trumpet is great. Early Woody Shaw? This is the pocket of jazz for me.

2-5 Fun and funky, but outstays it’s welcome some to me. The guitar player listened closely to Sonny Sharrock.

2-6 Enjoyable to listen, and likely a lot of fun to play or hear live. More drums than I need, so again, I’d guess maybe it’s the drummer’s album.

2-7 Utterly lost on me.

Quite a fascinating BFT, definite 70’s vibe to my ears (which is where my own listening most often lands), and a quite few new “must-own’s” (1-2, 1-6, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4), which I hope doesn’t get too pricey! Thanks so much.

Really enjoyable selections. Almost all of them have me stumped, but there's some familiarity there with some--just can't put my finger on it.

1-7 sounds like homefromtheforest's favourite soprano player. With Masahiko Togashi?

1-1 sounds like some Finnish dudes. Whoever it is, I really like it.

1-2 My first thought was one of those Japanese pianists from the 1970s (Masahiko Sato?), but also sounds like it could be some of Dave Liebman's buddies.

1-4 Has a bit of a Stanko-Vesala vibe to it with a Komeda influence?

I really enjoyed 1-5.

1-1 No idea, but up my alley. Will guess it is of more recent vintage than the other selections on part 1.

1-2 Well, this sure sounds like it needs to be early Weather Report, Zawinul and Miroslav Vitous. Except there is no Wayne Shorter in earshot. Need this in my collection if it isnt already there.

Not Miroslav but a very prominent bass player is on this recording

1-3 Very pleasant. The drummer is overplaying some IMO, so I would guess that its the drummers album. Cindy Blackman maybe?

It's not the drummer's album!

1-4 Moody and interesting. I like the bass player best. Greatly influenced by Bitches Brew, so early 70s I assume.

Right decade but not early 70s

1-5 Reminds me of Monk with Charlie Rouse,but simplified?

The pianist was a big fan of Monk

1-6 Peace Piece , the Bill Evans variant of Some other Time. Love the way this unfolds, and could listen to what the horn players are doing on it all day long. Ill need to get this one if I dont already have it.

1-7 Wanted to ridicule this at first, but as it unfolded it started to make more sense. Still not anything I would ever go pull off the shelf to listen to, but has historical value or whatever, Im sure. Reminds me of some of the stuff Marion Brown did at times, like Afternoon of a Georgia Faun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-1 Annoying as all get-out, and much too self-consciously clever.

2-2 I like the sound of the group, like what every one of the musicians is doing. Is this from vinyl rather than a CD?

All vinyl on this BFT!

2-3 I love this! Grachan Moncur on trombone?

Nope!

2-4 I own this, I know I do! And its great! Shoot, what is it? This one also sounds like it might be ripped from vinyl. Or maybe an old cassette, as there seems to be tape drag in places. The trumpet is great. Early Woody Shaw? This is the pocket of jazz for me.

2-5 Fun and funky, but outstays its welcome some to me. The guitar player listened closely to Sonny Sharrock.

2-6 Enjoyable to listen, and likely a lot of fun to play or hear live. More drums than I need, so again, Id guess maybe its the drummers album.

2-7 Utterly lost on me.

Quite a fascinating BFT, definite 70s vibe to my ears (which is where my own listening most often lands), and a quite few new must-owns (1-2, 1-6, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4), which I hope doesnt get too pricey! Thanks so much.

Oh yeah it's not Woody Shaw on 2-4 but the leader has played with Woody Shaw on other dates!

Really enjoyable selections. Almost all of them have me stumped, but there's some familiarity there with some--just can't put my finger on it.

1-7 sounds like homefromtheforest's favourite soprano player. With Masahiko Togashi?

You nailed it.

1-1 sounds like some Finnish dudes. Whoever it is, I really like it.

Not Finnish..

1-2 My first thought was one of those Japanese pianists from the 1970s (Masahiko Sato?), but also sounds like it could be some of Dave Liebman's buddies.

Your first thought is quite warm..hot even!

1-4 Has a bit of a Stanko-Vesala vibe to it with a Komeda influence?

Again you are very hot indeed with your reaction on this one :)

I really enjoyed 1-5.

1-2 is from Samadhi - Sato, Peacock, Motohiko Hino. Track is called "Fall Out." Haven't listened to it in a while but it's pretty recognizable. So far I'm not sure on the others - haven't gotten very far - though the first tune has a heavy Finnish vibe to it.

You are correct Clifford!

And the first track is not Finnish, but a rather multi-national cast to give a hint...

2-1 is cool. Sounds like one of the Michels (maybe) on bcl and someone else, but I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, I'll have to seek it out - pretty nutso.

2-2 sounds like early Ray Russell with Roy Fry (p) and Alan Rushton (d). Is this from Turn Circle (oddly I don't have that record) ?

2-3 I'm thinking Malcolm Griffiths on trombone, although the soprano playing seems a little less inventive than I'd expect for Surman. Could be John Taylor on piano and John Marshall on drums (in fact, it sounds like the latter).

2-4 Sounds crazily familiar! I am sure I have this but can't place it.

Edited by clifford_thornton

2-5 I would not be surprised if it was the bassist's record. Sounds familiar, almost Vitous-esque, but I can't place it. Will seek out whatever it is.

2-6 The tune itself isn't much, but I really like the drummer's approach - definitely rock-derived, but inventive. The bass player had something good going but he got cut off in his solo. Sounds of its era (1972-77) but welcome.

2-7 I dig the layered basses. Sounds like it could be a Herbert Joos thing, but I suppose his shit is a bit more aggro usually.

2-1 is cool. Sounds like one of the Michels (maybe) on bcl and someone else, but I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, I'll have to seek it out - pretty nutso.

2-2 sounds like early Ray Russell with Roy Fry (p) and Alan Rushton (d). Is this from Turn Circle (oddly I don't have that record) ?

2-3 I'm thinking Malcolm Griffiths on trombone, although the soprano playing seems a little less inventive than I'd expect for Surman. Could be John Taylor on piano and John Marshall on drums (in fact, it sounds like the latter).

2-4 Sounds crazily familiar! I am sure I have this but can't place it.

Sorry not close on these reactions although I guess Ray Russell would be a fair guess...

2-5 I would not be surprised if it was the bassist's record. Sounds familiar, almost Vitous-esque, but I can't place it. Will seek out whatever it is.

2-6 The tune itself isn't much, but I really like the drummer's approach - definitely rock-derived, but inventive. The bass player had something good going but he got cut off in his solo. Sounds of its era (1972-77) but welcome.

2-7 I dig the layered basses. Sounds like it could be a Herbert Joos thing, but I suppose his shit is a bit more aggro usually.

2-5 is a bassist's record! And it's not Miroslav Vitous...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great Blindfold Test. It is filled with compelling songs which I don't know. So it is both enjoyable and expands my knowledge.

1-1. This sounds like it could be an African recording. I love the reed player, very compelling soloist. I can't identify the rhythms exactly, but they are interesting and I want to know where this music comes from.

1-2. This sounds like a group that has immersed itself in the 1969-70 Miles Davis period. The drummer sounds like Tony Williams on "In a Silent Way" to me. The electric piano sounds like the keyboard work on "Bitches Brew" and "At Fillmore". But these are not Miles' musicians. It is a really good interpretation of that era--they get within the feel of the music, not just the surface. I have no idea who it is.

1-3. This is a compelling track. I can't identify the saxophone soloist but this is a very distinctive sound. The drummer has a unique sound too. The pianist is excellent, and it sounds to me like he or she has studied Andrew Hill's playing. Again, I have no idea, but really want to know who it is!

1-4. This sounds like an ECM recording to me. The musicians know their Ornette Coleman. The composition reminds me of Ornette's "Lonely Woman" at times. The trumpet soloist is a major player and must be the leader. That leads me to a list of possible guesses, of major trumpet players who have ECM albums in their names, but it would be only a guess. I want to get this album--if I don't have it already.

1-5. This is very interesting. It sounds like players who often play post-bop or music on the edge of bop and avant garde, who are on this track delving into a more overtly swinging, blues based, catchy mainstream style. The saxophonist is compelling and has a blues feeling. The pianist can go inside and outside, swinging while playing dissonant notes. I want to know who this is--I want to get it.

1-6. This reminds me of Bill Evans' version of "Some Other Time" from the Village Vanguard sessions album. The players are all quite lyrical. This is beautiful music. Again, I want to know who it is, and to get it for my collection. Really strong track.

1-7 This is really avant garde. I should know who this is but I do not. It sounds like a major reed player. I will probably be embarrassed that I can't identify the reed player.

I will post my impressions of 2-1 through 2-7 later. 1-1 to 1-7 is both very enjoyable and makes me curious, both good things.