MPS

dougcrates

Read recently that the entire MPS catalog is being made available digitally, with the next phase being high-quality LP reissues of select titles.

Much love for the label but I've felt that recent CD reissue programs have barely scratched the surface of an incredibly deep and varied catalog.

Edited by clifford_thornton

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Much love for the label but I've felt that recent CD reissue programs have barely scratched the surface of an incredibly deep and varied catalog.

I agree, clifford!!!

From my point of view, the brightest gems in the MPS catalog are the Albert Mangelsdorff and Martial Solal recordings. But there are MANY more excellent MPS recordings that are much further off the beaten path.

Just recently, soulpope turned me on to another MPS rec that I'd never heard before: Clare Fischer's Alone Together. Beautiful!

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Read recently that the entire MPS catalog is being made available digitally, with the next phase being high-quality LP reissues of select titles.

Great -  bring it on ! :party:

I'd love to see a reissue of Archie Shepp-Live(Life) at Donauschingen Music Festival.I'm lucky to have a Polydor cd of this but it deserves a wider release.True fire-music,and what a band-Grachan Moncur III and Roswell Rudd on trombones,Jimmy Garrison-bass-Beaver Harris-drums.From 1967.

Need to re-listen, guess I have the same edition Chuck has ... never warmed to it as much as to some of the Impulse! albums of his, but I still remember it as very good.

Anyway, the CD reissues were nice enough while they lasted - the entire Mangelseorff and Hans Koller were brought back, some mighty fine Rolf Kühn (that mini-series went beyond MPS of course!), and Promising Music took care of tome of the better free-ish albums, including "Fly Fly Fly Fly Fly" and the Tchicai one ... still, the label has so many treasures and browsing through these digital releases that's evident once more ... at least I managed to get the Solals (or most of them) on vinyl by now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that MPS is making three superb (imho) Martial Solal titles available (as downloads only) on March 11th:

• Four Keys (with Lee Konitz, John Scofield & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen)

• Suite for Trio (with Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen & Daniel Humair)

• Nothing But Piano (Solal solo)

All three are tremendous, but Suite for Trio was the record that made me a Solal convert.

Edited by HutchFan

"Suite for Trio" was on proper CD a while ago, with a foogly cover:

31HuMoxlR3L.jpg

"Nothing But Piano" and "Four Keys" I just recently played again  (MP3 only, though I have the later on vinyl by now) - the former is ridiculously good, and the later better than I'd ever dare to consider, reading the odd line-up - I still prefer Solal/Konitz in duo or with b/d, but Scofield is playing some fairly straight jazz guitar here (don't think I've heard him doing so elsewhere), using very little of his harsh effects and stuff ... in fact his playing here reminded me a bit of Jim Hall a few times.

54 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yep. I have that one. ...Foogly cover indeed.

Such GOOD music though! :) 

Yeah!

Wish that "Solal Series" would have grown beyond this Vol. 1 back then ... but MPS in the CD era was always a mess, it seems. Some brave guys at Universal did the entire Mangelsdorff and Koller at least, but all in all it was a clear case of too little, too late. As I'm not into the DL thing really, Edel's remedy isn't doing that much for me, but having collected MPS CD reissues for a while (Motor Music, the stray one such as this Solal disc, the stray Japanese reissue, Universal and Promising Music series, also some of those most recent ones already by Edel I think with the "Spiegel Edition" cardboard slipcases), I've gotten pretty far over the course of almost 20 years.

On 1/12/2016 at 6:09 AM, David Ayers said:

By coincidence just listened to my Shepp/Donaueschingen over breakfast. As ever, can't enjoy either the music or the sound quality. Am I alone? In a hostile universe??

I have had a few different editions over the years - now a Saba - and still cannot warm to it, despite the band. I don't know whether it's the recording or the performance, but it doesn't happen for me. Perhaps there are more invigorating concerts out there captured with less "dull" remove.