Al Shorter

Late

On 10/14/2014 at 9:02 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Most of the LP is duets between Shepp and Reid. I actually can't find my LP of it for some reason. Listened to some tracks online and it looks like both "Coral Rock" and "Invitation" are the same tune, at least on the CD (and both sound like Blasé to me). The only quartet tune is a ragged "Worried About You." This jibes with what I remember - probably haven't listened to the album in about a decade.

I really like mid 60's-mid 70's Shepp, but "Doodlin'" is a waste.  Always has sounded to me like it was just some sort of rehearsal tape rather than anything that was ever intended to be released.   But if Shepp playing "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "Invitation" unrehearsded on piano sounds invigorating to you, have at it.

Alan's last recording was with the Clarke-Boland big band? Would never have guessed that. 

I have the "Parabolic" release of his Verve album. The liner notes say:

"The existence of this very album, originally recorded for the Verve label at the close of the Sixties, has long been a topic for discussion among discographers. This, its first appearance anywhere, should disappoint no-one interested in the progress of a very distinctive musician. Remember: it's taken several years to get this album onto your turntables, and it might be even longer before the next."

Unbelievable ! I still have quite a few of those Kay Jazz videos but not that one.

John Jeremy is one of the guys who ran Kay Jazz I think. Headquartered in Frome, Somerset.

Not sure who I am more shocked by recording with the CBBB. Shorter or Lol Coxhill !

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 years later...