Jazz In Paris

vodka

Record shops - as always:

Paris Jazz Corner

8 rue de Nancy (10th Arrondiissement)

Also:

La Dame Blanche

47 rue de la Montagne Sainte Genevieve (5th Arrondissement)

(smaller than PJC but worth checking out for records you won't find elsewhere)

No idea if the new & secondhand CD sections of the GIBERT JOSEPH book and CD store still are worthwhile but if you want, do an online search fo their shop addresses and stop by if you are nearby.

There are more small shops that have jazz sections but you will have to wait for answers from persons living in Paris to see which ones are still worth visiting (I am there much too rarely).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Paris Jazz Corner is a very nice shop with about a trillion albums. Prices are reasonable, (but best if you go in sale month July, I'm afraid) unless you're looking for super deep groove LPs, I guess. Stuff that's in demand everywhere is expensive there. Look for stuff no one wants and you'll get interesting bargains.

56908029_20c3c5e478.jpg

Ground floor - LPs

Can't find a pic of the CDs downstairs.

Google Paris Jazz corner for address & phone number.

MG

Best jazz sélection remains the Gilbert Joseph jazz and classics store on the Boulevard Saint-Michel. Their 2nd hand selection is matchless

Paris Jazz Corner is another must go store. The Rue de Navarre shop is the one to go to.j

Same goes for Crocojazz across the street from La Reine Blanche, and much better stocked.

Same goes for Crocojazz across the street from La Reine Blanche, and much better stocked.

Ah yes, in fact it was them I was thinking of when mentioning that second address. I have bought from both in the past but Croco indeed has more to offer than Dame Blanche (though even Crocojazz is much smaller than PJC). And the one who runs the Crocojazz shop (unless the personnel has changed since i last was there a couple of years ago) is a very nice person for a little "shop talk" about matters jazz and collectionitis. ;)

Strange that PJC don't give their exact Rue Navarre shop address on their website. This has misled me too.

What typo, MG? smilie_denk_07.gif smilie_denk_07.gif

BTW - thanks, Trane, for making me check out the PJC website. That Tal Farlow book they have released looks like a beaut - could not help it and ordered it straigthaway (though I have no idea where to put it in an orderly fashion on my overcrowded music bookshelves :D )

What typo, MG? smilie_denk_07.gif smilie_denk_07.gif

BTW - thanks, Trane, for making me check out the PJC website. That Tal Farlow book they have released looks like a beaut - could not help it and ordered it straigthaway (though I have no idea where to put it in an orderly fashion on my overcrowded music bookshelves :D )

Ho ho, you've corrected it now :D

MG

• 1 month later...

Hi, guys. I just wanted to thank everybody for the suggestions. Got plenty of CDs and only one LP as a good memory.

Posting the picture of Crocojazz with permission of the manager Gilles, who's in the photo with truly yours. He is a great guy.

post-3000-0-98752200-1417967418_thumb.jp

Hi, guys. I just wanted to thank everybody for the suggestions. Got plenty of CDs and only one LP as a good memory.

Posting the picture of Crocojazz with permission of the manager Gilles, who's in the photo with truly yours. He is a great guy.

Gilles has stood the test of the years well - he hasn't changed much since I was there in 2000/2001 (when I was there the last time in 2007 somebody else subbed for him that day). ;)

Always nice talking to him indeed - we got into talking too on thos efew occasions I was at his shop, and somehow I still regret I just could not take the time off to drop in a nearby bistro when, after having left his shop maybe half an hour before but still making the rounds at other shops in the same corner, I passed in fornt of that bistro and he saw me across the window and motioned to come on in where he was at a table with a friend for lunch. Unfortunately I could not because I had a VERY tight schedule of places (yes, mainly shops! :g ) to visit in Paris during that brief stay there (but it certainly would have been a very nice chat ...).

• 3 weeks later...

Chet Baker dedicated a piece of music to him on his gorgeous Broken Wing album..

It´s one of a very few CB originals, over eleven minutes long and it is called "Blue Gilles" -

to me it hals always been the high point of a strong outing..

Wrong!

'Blue Gilles' was named for Gilles Gautherin who produced the session for French United Artists

. Gautherin was a friend and fan of Chet!

• 3 months later...

I currently have an interest in Paris and jazz, so I rounded up the recommendations for jazz shops. This is what I have cobbled together from the responses:

Paris Jazz Corner

8 rue de Nancy (10th Arrondissement)

Rue de Navarre (another location not listed on the web site)

http://parisjazzcorner.com/

La Dame Blanche

47 rue de la Montagne Sainte Genevieve (5th Arrondissement)

(More classical, less jazz)

Crocojazz

Near La Dame Blanche

Gilbert Joseph

Boulevard Saint-Michel

And, can anyone recommend jazz clubs in Paris? Last summer I went to London, made it to the Vortex on an Evan Parker night, and thoroughly enjoyed it all. I would love to find something in Paris with quality jazz that is not too expensive and accessible for the tourist (close to public transportation).

And, can anyone recommend jazz clubs in Paris?

Instants chavirés in Montreuil is great of course. Last time Evan Parker came to Paris as you mention him, it was there. Le Triton, in Les Lilas, also. You can also check on the newly opened Carreau du temple.