Vintage Gear Restoration/Repair

catesta

I've been sitting on some vintage audio equipment handed down from my father and it's time to do something with it.

Fisher 400 - Fortunately I have been referred to a person that restores vintage tuners/amplifiers/receivers and loves the Fisher 400, so I'm good with this.

So....

A pair of JBL c36 speakers that have been in storage way too long. I'd like to make them operational again and I'm wondering if someone here as an idea of what normally would be required to restore. I'm not talking about the cabinets just the insides. I guess the obvious thing would be reconing? I wouldn't mind sending them away if needed, but would want to make sure the person knows their shit and it makes financial sense.

Apparently the jewel of the lot and number one priority is the Thorens TD124 MKII. I've read about changing the plinth and all kinds of other shit. Thoughts?

There are a couple of sources to check out for restoring the Thorens. There is a guy from Pittsburgh who restored my Thorens 160 who is considered an excellent repair guy -- his name is Spiros. I can send you his email address. He will even upgrade the power cord and rca links, as well as calibrate and lube the turntable. He can also restore the plinth as well. There is also a guy who restores Thorens and AR tables -- he has a web address, I think it is Audio Restorations, but you can google AR restorations and the page will pop up. Be prepared to spend $250 minimum for a basic restore.

You can repair the surrounds to the speakers yourself. Orange County Speakers has a web site, and provide surrounds for every imaginable model. The instructions are easy to follow.

The plinth is still in really good condition but I've read various opinions on the web recommending you change out the old with something new like slate or a heavier wood. I have no idea if that is something that should or needs to be done.

Thanks for the info on the Thorens guys and I'll check out Orange County.

If the plinth is in great shape, don't change it. That isn't where you will find the big sonic improvements. Swapping out the power cord, changing the RCA interconnects and having the springs cleaned and relubed and balanced will do more wonders for the turntable than most of the DIY stuff you see on the Thorens sites.

• 8 months later...

Apparently the jewel of the lot and number one priority is the Thorens TD124 MKII. I've read about changing the plinth and all kinds of other shit. Thoughts?

Indeed, it's a fine machine, and merits a professional rebuild. Drop me a note, I'll let you know who is highly regarded in this aspect of hifi restorations.

It's been years since we spoke, I hope you are doing asweome, man!:cool:

Depending on how well the speakers were stored, re-coning the drivers may not be the only thing needed. My friend had to re-cap the crossovers in an old pair of B&W speakers. The old caps leaked and changed their value. After he changed these old leaky caps, he said the speakers sounded a lot better and that he wished he did it many years earlier.