Original Aguas de Marco - Ever Reissued?

JSngry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waters_of_March

But can that possibly be correct? Still?

It's pretty damn frisky! And peppy! I like it!

Who's the arranger on this, btw? That's some cool stuff that doesn't always land exactly where you'd expect sometimes.

Not sure, but I think I heard Art Garfunkel's version of this in a head shop when it first came out, on what was left of our "underground" FM station in fall of 1975. Freaked me ut, the lyrics did, which I suppose they have done to many people. I went back and described them to somebody and they said, oh, that sounds like the new Paul Simon song about all the different ways of leaving your chick, shit just keeps rhyming and going on forever, and I said, well, no, not that, and this time I was right, although I still give him credit for kinda being in some kind of the same ballpark, very roughly.

Anyway, it was that song, and it was somebody's version, and it was on the FM in a head shop. Tell me that our collective evolution has been forward, and I might not automatically agree, based on this incident alone! #truestory

I set up an Astrud Gilberto channel on Pandora (and somehow it thinks that that means I also want to hear lame retroass French-type cafe songs with or without accordion - which I do not want to hear, not now, not ever) and new versions of this song, old and new keep popping in. I "like" them all, and that keeps 'em coming in. Pandora is fun for that. Still waiting to get Art Garfunkel's version, but certainly in no hurry, take your time on that one Pandora.

But I'm surprised that this, the very first recording of such an iconic piece of music has never been reissued? What kind of twisted legalities have kept that from happening?

Shocking as it seems to me, that wikipedia page seems to be completely correct (and thorough, and well done).

I couldn't think of any reason why someone else would have done the arranging, so I would have thought Jobim. I also would have thought that Jobim played as well as sang on it, but that seems to be incorrect. Anyway, I dug up the following in a popsike listing (documenting an ebay sale of the record):

Technical Information

Artist: Tom Jobim & João Bosco
Tracks: "Águas de Março / Agnus Sei"
Recording Label: Independent (Disco de Bolso do Pasquim)
Company #: 280100
Year: 1972
Made in: Brazil
Sound Reproduction Format: STEREO
Pressing: 1st
Jacket Material: Laminated
Media: Vinyl Records 7"
Number of tracks: 02 tracks
Playing Speed: 33 1/3 RPM
Special features: The 20-page booklet with Graphics, Photos, Drawings, Interviews, Music scores, Technical information, Cartoons, texts, and Much more is included.

Personnel & Credits

Featuring (Musicians): Antônio Carlos Jobim (Vocal); Bebeto, Paulo Jobim, Franklin, Paulo Guimarães and Ratto (Flutes); Eduardo Athaíde (Acoustic Guitar); Novelli (Bass) and João Palma (Percussion), João Bosco (Acoustic Guitar and Vocal)
Arranged by: Tom Jobim
Songs written by: Tom Jobim, João Bosco
Produced by: Sérgio Ricardo and Eduardo Athaíde

I have it somewhere (received a copy on cassette from another collector about 15 years ago... probably transferred it to MD or CDR, but hadn't played it for a long time). I don't really love it, actually. It sounds rushed, almost like it wasn't meant to be digested as seriously as later versions of it. On the other hand, the entry on the "Clube do Tom" website includes this: "the little difficulties he faced to sing the complicated lyrics in a fast tempo, instead of bothering the listener, contribute with a special charm to the importance of this historic première." To each their own.

I love the version with Elis; the Banda Nova version; and others, including this:

Not only did the cat swing, he looked like the Wizard of Oz! :)