RIP Jan Hooks (1957-2014)

JSngry

Atlantans my age fell in love with Jan Hooks when she was on a local comedy/variety show, Tush, hosted by Bill Tush. This was on WTBS, Channel 17, the original building block of the Turner broadcasting empire, in 1980 and 1981. Hooks was by far the best thing on this funny (but wildly inconsistent) show. Here she is doing a Helen Reddy parody written (or adapted) by my friend Darryl Rhoades, who is on drums. Another good friend, Jimmy Royals, is the middle backup singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7i7c6WrfQ

Edited by jeffcrom

Atlantans my age fell in love with Jan Hooks when she was on a local comedy/variety show, Tush, hosted by Bill Tush. This was on WTBS, Channel 17, the original building block of the Turner broadcasting empire, in 1980 and 1981. Hooks was by far the best thing on this funny (but wildly inconsistent) show. Here she is doing a Helen Reddy parody written (or adapted) by my friend Darryl Rhoades, who is on drums. Another good friend, Jimmy Royals, is the middle backup singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7i7c6WrfQ

WHOA!!!!

That voice...not the singing itself, but that voice, spoken or sung, she had the knack/gift/genius of finding just the right cadence,pacing, phrasing, inflection, whatever it is, that stirs up the involuntary reflex that makes comedy. Throw in the same skills with body language and the facial expressions...one of the best, period. Her bit in that Tush Beauty Contest bit, in lesser hands, hmmm...but she had me ROTFLMFAO.

Totally subjective, but damn.