Kind of Blue - Mostly Other People Do the Killing

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting. I'm interested, but it seems it's only available as a digital MP3 file, and I don't do those. . . . If a cd appears I'll try it.

It is available in CD format at Squidco, so I assume you can (or will soon be able to) get it from other retailers as well.

On the other hand, this is advertised as a note-for-note copy of the original KOB, and the sound clips appear to confirm this claim. So (as others have asked), why bother?

Edited by sonnymax

I've listened to and reviewed it. I have very mixed feelings about it. Well done, but so what? I understand it is a clone of KOB, and as a visual artist I well know the aesthetics and conceptual ideology behind it. The question is: conceptually does it work in the audio arts as well as the visual?

Edited by Stefan Wood

This may be an interesting project to be pursued in general - but the only usp of the finished product (aka the product to be sold) depends on the question, whether the same music (note-by-note) performed by different artists sounds ....differently ?

BTW see no reason, why people should feel frustrated/offended, as there is no obligation to buy this product....and at the same time, this project`s approach is at least not light years away from the one or other classical music production`s....

Edited by soulpope

On the other hand, this is advertised as a note-for-note copy of the original KOB, and the sound clips appear to confirm this claim. So (as others have asked), why bother?

I guess I'm bothering for two reasons: to see how this copy comes off as a technical project and as an artistic statement. And with my stereo system, which I enjoy listening to immensely, it will be fun to compare the recordings themselves--will the ambience be similar/identical, will there discernable differences because of recording equipment, etc.

Interpretations are different. This is an effort to play it exactly like the original.

Actually I didn`t speak about or compared with Classical Music generally.....but again there are recordings/performances where an individual interpretation is hardly recognizable and the final result in the end is very near note-to-note.......

Edited by soulpope

I thought the allusion to classical music interesting. I don't pretend to be knowledgeable in classical music but don't many conductors play it note by note?

When compared to the essence of jazz and related styles of music where personal interpretations and retransformations of the "source material" are what it is all about - certainly.

Just imagine somebody in the field of classical music taking an opus of composer X and setting to recording it on the premise of "I feel like playing this in double time throughout" or other radical diversions from the original, wouldn't this be heresy to many hardcore classical music partisans? Or just be treated as a "gimmick" of no artistic value?

Of course this is an oversimplification but still ... ;)

Too bad you probably don't read German, but the problem of an interpretation of a works straying too far from the original in classical music (which by the standards of jazz would amount to still being a copycat through and through :D) is well described here in the section of "Werktreue" ("faithfulness to the orignal"):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretation_%28Musik%29

(the English version of this entry unfortunately approaches this subject in a totally different manner).

Well, I did have 'Kind of blue' in the sixties, but soon got rid of it.

Maybe I'd like this one better :g

But I don't care enough. I like Jackie Ivory's version of 'Freddie the freeloader'.

I spec y'all will hate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6cXq2_CDuc

MG

PS the Youtube version is from a shorter 45 issue. The edits rather fuck it up, even though they didn't take much out.