Problems with new Soulive release

Ed S

Was over at BN site and found this in the "news".

Looks like they've "pinpointed the problem" and are apologizing "to the fans for giving them a less-than-perfect CD when they've dropped their hard-earned cash "

Dig that lingo, man. These cats are pretty hip to the whole scene. :wacko:

Looks like Tom took that class in customer relations at the local community college that I recommended ;)

SOULIVE REPLACEMENT CD

To everyone who has purchased the new Soulive live album and is having trouble: first and foremost all of us at Blue Note Records apologize for the audio glitches that people are experiencing. This is especially embarrassing for a label like Blue Note that prides itself on presenting the finest musicians in the world performing music on their own terms in the best sonic atmosphere possible.

We have pinpointed the problem and will happily replace any CD that people view as defective. To insure that you receive a fixed copy, it is best NOT TO RETURN THE CD TO THE RETAILER, as the retailer won't necessarily have a fixed version just yet. Simply mail JUST THE CD (hold on to the packaging) to:

Blue Note Records

Soulive Return

150 Fifth Avenue

6th Floor

New York, NY 10011

Include in your package YOUR COMPLETE RETURN MAILING ADDRESS and we will in turn send you a replacement CD in a blank sleeve as soon as is possible that represents the band as they're truly supposed to sound.

Also we'll include a free Blue Note sampler for your trouble. Your information will only be used for the purpose of delivering a new Soulive CD and will not be put into any kind of database.

Once again, we apologize to the fans for giving them a less-than-perfect CD when they've dropped their hard-earned cash and we apologize to Soulive for poorly representing them musically.

Humbly yours,

Blue Note Records

Guest Mnytime

I never get the feeling that Blue Note prides itself on quality control. If anything I get the feeling they could care less about quality control until some listener catches their mistakes and they are forced to deal with it.

As Matthew has pointed out I don't recall there not being some sort of quality control issue in every batch of releases. At least one CD in each new batch of releases seems to have some sort of issue in sound or packaging, etc..

It is somewhat like the Orrin Keepnews problem but for a specific company instead of a Producer.

Edited by Mnytime

By the way, I was looking for some info on new and upcoming releases. No info on the upcoming Rare Groove releases, none on the new Dexter 2 CD set. Nothing about the upcoming SACD releases. Not a mention about the May or Junw releases of EMI jazz labels.

On the new release page, Madlib featured again. Recent releases by Jane Bunnett, DJ Smash, Soulive, Marissa Monte and the Norah DVD featured. No recent reissues featured.

I did find out though that the Madlib disc is scheduled for a June 24th release. :party:

I don't care what anybody says....Blue Note has sold out. Their site is all about showing d.j.s, norah, ect.

The fact that they fucked up another cd is a JOKE. How many mistakes can they make? Is anybody at corporate about to kick Tom's ass yet for fucking up every other release?

Quality control at Blue Note doesn't exist. Tom may have great intentions, but his company sure is has some expensive mistakes..... A blue note Bobby Hutcherson reissue mistake is one thing...a thousand copies. But a SOULIVE new release fuckup has got to get expensive.

I guess I'll hold off buying any new release or new reissue blue note's from now on. wait until the mistakes are caught and then buy. I already bought the Soulive online and sure i'll be getting by defective disc soon. thanks blue note for more fucking postage and bullshit i have to put up with in order to buy something from your company.

now shut up and reissue 'the phantom.' ;)

I ordered this online as well. I think I still have time to cancel though as my order is not going to be shipped until the 22nd with the Rare Grooves. I wonder what free sampler they're giving away?

The thing that gets me about looking at the website today was that it does look like they sold out. Looks like they cleaned out the notices of reissues just in time to get the Soulive crowd and not have them look at some of the reissues and wonder "Who the hell is that????"

But they didn't even do a good job of "selling out" :wacko: They've got the Rare Grooves coming out and these could appeal to the Soulive bunch. They've got an Erik Truffaz on the horizon. Paul Jackson Jr . too. :blink::wacko:

I hate to think that I have to be a quality control guy when I get my CD shipment. There really is no excuse for the mistakes they repeatedly make. And yes, this Soulive snafu will cost them a bundle. Notice that the hardore jazz fans did not get an apology for the Hutcherson mistake (or any of the others).

Then again, maybe those courses at the local comunity college are starting to pay off. :blink::wacko:;)

I'm guessing the sampler is this thing they sent my radio station called "33 1/3 Microgroove". 4 tracks from the upcoming Rare Grooves, 1 from the new Soulive, 1 Madlib, 1 old MMW track, 1 from the new Erik Truffaz, 1 from the recent DJ Smash, and 1 from Moran's Modernistic.

IMO the Bartz is underwhelming.

Thanks, BW. As far as samplers go, that one looks okay.

So it'll cost me about $.75 in postage to get the sampler then. Unless of course I crack the Soulive disc in half and send 'em the pieces in by conventional mail. :wacko:

True to form, Blue Note isn't recalling the defective CDs. As usual, it's a "if you're lucky enough to log onto our site and find out, you can mail it back at your expense for a new one." what crap

Blue Note should just recall this shit. Instead as their MO, they just screw the customer. "Hopefully, most of these idiots won't notice they've bought defective product..." is their attitude.

Maybe they should just keep the "mail the defective product" notice up on the site. They must get tired re-posting it so often.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time they actually posted about returning defective CDs, and apologized at that. :o

They must have really f'd it up big time. Usually they'd just give us the shaft, hope no one notices and sweep it under the rug.

Hey, got my new f'd-'up SOULIVE CD in the mail today!!!! Can't wait to send ANOTHER Cd back to Blue Note for replacement! This is really beginning to be fun! Blue Note rules!

By the way....the subterrainian super-low keyboard bass is annoying on this. I can't imagine how deaf the soulive generation will be in later years.

No, not the new replacement CD, if that's what you mean. I meant I had ordered my CD online and had not recieved it yet in the mail. It came today and is the defective first pressing. My rant was in sending back another Blue Note CD this year (along with my defective Along Came John insert, Dialouge defective CD among other notables.) :rolleyes:

the only thing this will be collecting around my house is dust. after a once=through...i'm about jam band'ed out. if repetitious funk is all these sort of bands have to offer, even after their fourth release, count me out. the bass is so annoyingly loud....i don't know, it's alright for what it is....but i just saw charlie haden with lovano and company...now that was a great musical experience. and quiet as a snowfall. soulive is music for frat boys screaming "hell yeah..." you have to be 20, drunk and looking for chicks to dig this sort of bump and grind nothingness. sure, they are good/great musicians...but the music they make is really just rock star nightclub googledy-goop.

or, maybe it's just that my gig paid $50 and I played to people falling asleep in their food.

Damn bro... I understand.

I just saw Dr. Lonnie Smith last Sunday with two exceptionally bad-ass local musicians with him. Lansing resident Randy Gelispie on drums (he's on some Sonny Stitt sides from the 60s) and Detroiter Perry Hughes on guitar (played with Earl Klugh among others).

The Dr. is so much more dynamic and interesting than most every other organist on the scene today. Everything he does is unique and his technique is flawless. His basslines are subtle, his chords are his own, and his soloing builds and builds and builds until you can't imagine him holding back the floodgates anymore... and then he takes another chorus! :)

Soulive is for people who only care about a back beat.

Yes, Lonnie Smith is about as good as it gets on the organ these days imho. he has it all, and above all his message to all the rest of us is...relax. that man is the most relaxed musician, much less organist, i've ever seen. dynamics, taste, technique...ect...unbelievable. did you get a chance to hang or talk? i've seen him a few times and is always very nice.

how come we now have 4 or 5 soulive cds and no recent dr. lonnie smith solo efforts. guess lonnie doesn't play stevie ray vaughan covers enough. :rolleyes:

Yes, I did get to hang. I gave him a copy of my CD and he was very appreciative. We've talked a few times before, but I don't think he remembered me. But he did say to keep doing what I'm doing and to keep the music alive. He said "We're brothers, man. We look out for each other." It was very cool. He's a genuine good person.

OH man, the show was fuckin' brilliant. He played a bunch of originals that I don't think he's recorded. Some really slow, churnin' tunes where he's singing the melody real high and conjuring sounds from the manuals. He did an amazing version of Caravan that started with a circus-like, gypsy beginning. The drawbar settings he was using are a mystery. I've never heard the Hammond sound like that. Wild stuff.

He scared the shit out of the white folks, too! It was hilarious! He was the last musical guest to go on the stage at the sixth annual Mr. B's Piano Orgy, which is a boogie-woogie piano celebration for the most part. So there were all these old white people in the audience digging these heavy piano cats playing stride all night. Great music. But then Lonnie comes out and proceeds to basically make love to the organ, groanin' and moanin' and gruntin' and he fucking FREAKED those people out. I would say 40% of the audience left within the first two tunes!

But he played his ass off. So much lyricism and dynamics and melody. And the sidemen, who were local as I said, kept up with him great. They were just as surprised as the audience was after the long, weird intro to Caravan.

Lonnie is the man. He needs to record.

I dig the Dr. too! B) But as you've pointed out, it's a crying disgrace that he's not recording and making LPs. I mean his most recent release is The Turbanator and it was three years ago. And it was actually a reissue from 1991...

By the way, you might like to read and listen Lonnie's "Before & After" at the JazzTimes website: click here.