What record labels do you go to in order to hear something new?

A Lark Ascending

Jazz, classical, rock, world....whatever.

And by 'new' I obviously mean 'new' music but also music that might lie neglected by the larger labels (assumption there!). So can be archive stuff.

Stick to current operators. Lyrita was great in the past but seems to have gone dormant again.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Ace, of course, for blues/R&B archival stuff. I'm particularly enjoying their recent Bayou blues/R&B comps. Some people say the obscurities they sprinkle in with the money stuff should remain obscure but I often disagree. There are forgotten gems in them thar hills, as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting responses.

I regularly pick things up from Emanem, Intakt and would add Ogun (like Emanem, mixing long lost reissues with new releases). Also have a fair bit from some of the others.

One I've started to access recently Catalytic Sound - not sure if that is a label or a shop but they keep a lot of Vandermark's recording there, available as dls.

I'd also include Criss Cross - might not be cutting edge, but does a great job at making available music in a boppish/modal style played by current players. To my ears, that's new.

The label that got me thinking of this was a classical one - NMC. They do an amazing job covering not just contemporary classical but British contemporary classical (two strikes against market place success!). Substantial catalogue, very encouraging of young composers alongside more established people and not afraid to experiment - themed discs, one work downloads etc. Very thoughtful.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Different labels at different times, as my interests have developed and widened.

In '59 I discovered I could reliably get great singles if I pre-ordered recordings by Atlantic/Atco, and then LPs.

In about 64, I started buying Prestige and Blue Note singles, then LPs, (when I could afford them - BNs were 80% more expensive than UK manufactured LPs). Good Prestige stuff was always hard to get over here - they changed their UK distributor often and the new firm insisted on reissuing Miles, MJQ, Rollins etc etc before moving into soul jazz :)) Blue Notes were hard to get for a couple of years after Liberty bought the firm, then they started a UK branch and all was very well.

In the early 70s, I focused on Kudu/CTI.

In the early 80s, Nashboro/Creed, then Savoy, became a LOT easier to find than before and I bought lots of gospel albums.

In the early nineties, it was KSF, then Jololi and Syllart that guided my purchases of Sahelian West African releases.

In the last few years, it's been Decca West Africa/Afrodisia/Rogers All Stars, for Nigerian and Ghanaian albums.

Now, I'm beginning to explore Latin stuff and I'm finding Ansonia a good label, but don't yet know enough.

MG

FMP is no longer an active label, unfortunately.

Some records from FMP are now reedited on the Jazzwerstatd label. Of course, JW produced also new music (meaning produced new releases - it's to you to judge if it's "new" or not), more or less in the same spirit than FMP.

Edited by P.L.M

Definitely Emanem. A lot of archival stuff for sure, but it's always extremely well-done (as with Nessa - I'll be interested to see if the Bradford/Gjerstad leads to more new recordings coming out on the label).

Tough call. I can't remember the last time one of my issues broke even. I'm as interested as you may be.

Definitely Emanem. A lot of archival stuff for sure, but it's always extremely well-done (as with Nessa - I'll be interested to see if the Bradford/Gjerstad leads to more new recordings coming out on the label).

AFAIK Catalytic Sound is a store, but perhaps there will be a label component.

I guess the most recent actually new release from Emanem was the 2012 CD from Haste (feat. the mighty Laubrock ;)). Looks like Martin has settled back to archival releases since but who knows if that can change.

Ace, of course, for blues/R&B archival stuff. I'm particularly enjoying their recent Bayou blues/R&B comps. Some people say the obscurities they sprinkle in with the money stuff should remain obscure but I often disagree. There are forgotten gems in them thar hills, as far as I'm concerned.

:tup:tup:tup all the way ... ;)

AFAIK Catalytic Sound is a store, but perhaps there will be a label component.

I guess the most recent actually new release from Emanem was the 2012 CD from Haste (feat. the mighty Laubrock ;)). Looks like Martin has settled back to archival releases since but who knows if that can change.

Well, there were some slightly delayed releases of material from Charlotte Hug and Doneda/Coxhill that came around a little later, but I see your point. It usually takes him a couple years to release something once it's been recorded, so we should see at least one or two 2013 recordings next year.

Haste is a good one, too. I think they might have a follow-up coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...