bLiNdFoLd TeSt #7 - discussion

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks our man tried to put some packages of 3-4 themes together

#1 no clue, but I believe that’s coming from some non-Jazz combo

#2 starts like a regular swing theme, but with a fresh 90’s feeling, turning to some Latin in the middle with- attention- flute to get to a marching band at the end… all in all a little bit like a best of swing… oh you want my guesses: .. no clue , but I like it

#3 sounds familiar…..little bit like cannonball adderley orchestra (is that Phil Woods playing the Alto ?)

#4 a post Monk piano ?

#5 no clue, but cool…(some West coast sound)

#6 sounds so much like Henry Mancini that I would bet money on this

#7 still searching

#8 Film music…. But which one ???

#9 ups.. there was a track nine …

#10 the guy singing there doesn’t sound as if he’s doing that latin groove regularly …but some Las Vegas show singer. The music sounds good, but that guy is driving me mad

#11 Mongo Santamaria….

#12 no clue for now…

#13 an electronic Accordion with Latin…interesting combination… shouldn’t be hard to find :huh:

#14 my first thought was…. Gary Burton and Pat Metheny were doing some Piazolla for GRP label… smooth Jazz with some Tango.

#15 ECM ….. same first though like in #14

#16 an ‘80s fits well in #13/#14/#15 as package of four

#17…no clue so far

#18 …to dark for me

#19… same as above

#20…

sounds that there not much matches, but an enjoyable compilation

Hi again,

I'm away for a couple of days and forgot to take my BFT along (I did take a whole bunch of Blue Notes and a Japanese Teddy Wilson CD, and I was going to pack the BFT, and then stuff got in the way, and I was late and, ... :angry:)

I will chime in next Wednesday or Thursday when I'm back. Especially track 5, one of my faves (if it was 5 and the one from the M. disk which has been in constant rotation at my place since I got it).

Please do NOT post anything in this thread until I'm back. :g

Cheers!

Got my disc in the mail today and I'm stating my impressions early this time. Haven't read any of the posts yet.

I did not recognize any of the tunes.

1. The Lakota Sioux on the warpath! ;) Dislike this one.

2. I don't like this one either.

3. Not bad.

4. Not bad again. I don't have much of this type of music so I can't even attempt to identify it.

5. I like this one also.

6. This stuff all sounds like it's from the same band. Don't care for this one.

7. I like this one. Haven't heard the vibist before.

8. Okay. Nothing else to say.

9. Don't care for this at all.

10. This one's fine. Nice rhythms.

11. A kind of cha-cha. This one got me off my chair and on the dance floor! :g

12. Not bad.

13. Electric harmonica? ;) Not bad.

14. Killer accordian! :tup I'm sold on its effectiveness in this Irish jazz context. :P

15. Nice tune. There's that accordian again!

16. Another nice tune.

17. Awfully short...

18. huh?

19. Don't likee.

20. Arright! Some organ!! Great tune!! Organist sounds a bit like Richard "Groove" Holmes, but surely can't be him. Sangrey will dig this one.

Thanks for sending the disc!

I'm afraid this one is going to have to be short.

I've given it several listens and since I wouldn't hazard a guess at any of the tracks, a blow-by-blow account doesn't seem necessary.

Basically, some I dug, and some I really didn't dig. At one point I was thinking, "man, he really digs film music!" and my next thought was, "man, he really digs bongos!" ;)

I could definitely do without the vocal tracks, and my personal fav was the very blue track 19.

Thanks for the comp., I look forward to the answers and another listen.

I'm gonna cheat and read everyone else's answers, simply because I haven't had time to really listen to all of it thoroughly. But I WILL say I hope hope hope HOPE that track 3 is in print!!!

Anyway, I'm gonna read the answers and pick it up from there. On first glance, a lot of it sounded a lot the same; but on some of the tracks I've been able to listen to closely, I can hear the subtle differences. And I'm really diggin' it because of that. So, good job Vint!!!

Now to see what youse guys have written so far......

Well, as usual, I did NOT look at any of the above answers (and I'm not cheating, i was in hospital since friday, my sis brought me the disc, and I listened and enjoyed it there, just back home and fine again now).

What follows is my notes I took while in hospital on some sheet of paper. No changes made.

1 Cool opening! Very good groove. No idea.

2 Again no idea. Good one! Horns sound a little dukish, bass could be Cecil McBee (going from the sound).

3 Lee Konitz? No? Certainly nice alto solo. Not sure I'd need the congas on this one, but all in all it's fine.

4 Although I never heard this one, it does seem familiar. Horace Silver? One of his late recordings?

5 Know this one, swings like mad, good alto solo. (Did not yet check with my collection to identify, as I just returned half an hour ago)

6 Another good one! (Great disc so far!!) Love the solos.

7 Gil Evans? Another one I do like. No idea really who it could be. Great rhythm section beneath the bari sax. Thad Jones-Mel Lewis? (It would be Pepper Adams, then, of course). But where then would those vibes come from? Could this be one of those Terry Gibbs dates I ought to check out? Just a wild guess.

Great track, my favourite so far, I think. The horns behind the bass have that Evans-touch again.

8 Another cool one! Love the combination of flute & vibes! Herbie Mann? Alto flute, this is, or maybe even a bass flute?

9 Cool!

10 This disc sends me on an interesting rhythmical journey. Now this is some afro-cuban stuff. I think I know it, but I'm not sure at all. Nope, don't know it. Love the sound of the cuban percussion sections!

11 More similar.

12 Know this tune. Cool version! Lucky T? Beautiful tenor sound! Has to be him! (Couldn't check, though, as my collection was beyond reach.)

13 Again not the slightest idea! Harmonica - Toots Thielemans? Nice, breathy alto. Again touches of Gil Evans I hear.

14 Guy Klucevesek? Very nice accordion, good drummer. Nice mix of instruments, love it!

15 Again maybe Klucevesek, maybe some one else I never heard of. Another interesting line up. Beautiful tune. Greg Cohen on bass?

16 Slightly kitschy, no?

17 Same as for the last one, but I like this a little bit better. Nice sax.

18 Lovely!

19 Another one I like, but have no idea.

20 Again, no idea.

Big thanks for this CD! I really enjoyed listening! :tup

ubu

Well it looks as if this BFT might be called on account of know one knowing anything, or caring, or the fact that everyone can't wait to get their hands on Jim Dye's double disc set. :D (just a post count tab)

Kind of like lining up for the White Album when the Magical Mystery Tour is still fresh on the turntable. ;) And if you can't stand it please let me know.

I will say that you are all hovering around this so far but no clearance to land as of yet. Maybe Nate is the best on mark and on remarks.

The only recognizables thus far are from that big old collection that I do not have (mikeweil and couw hit those). Another thing is that there is a very loose film connection going on here and there but it's the players that you guys talk about all the time here and there. One composer / conductor / leader is represented here and has been identified but not on the cut he is responsible for.

Yes, Big Al, # 3 is available, as most of this stuff is, but only on a triple disc set that for me only holds up for a little while. It is a "tease" though.

My surprise is that not a soul has identified the Wusthof sharpener on #1. Lord only knows? But I do love that bit of kitchen sonics, right down to twisting the drumsticks off the carcass.

Maybe I need to post a "Hey Sangrey Thread"??

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

No worries Vint! The wife's not at home tonight and I think I can squeeze in another listen and I hope to draw some tracks from my collection. I think I can score 5, maybe 6.

My guess is that many of the disks are still underway (?).

And what you complainin' about anyway! I got Rhino-Man right didn't I? and Mr. Pontiac as well!

If we get some momentum, I'm sure we can clear your fortress before you get a chance to taunt us again!

08-french-guard.jpg

Well it looks as if this BFT might be called on account of know one knowing anything, or caring, or the fact that everyone can't wait to get their hands on Jim Dye's double disc set.

I´ve listened to BFT#7 a couple of times. Thanks for bringing us these two discs, Vint.

There´s a sense of Soundtrack on some tracks and a latin groove on many others.

I felt I could guess a couple of tracks in my first spin, but this was refuted in my second one.

Notwithstanding, I´m afraid I haven´t had much time to do a proper listening, nor have I been in the mood to report track by track until now.

And now I´ve read a few of the last posts in this thread. :(

Don´t worry, Vint, many more posts and guesses to come! ;)

Edited by EKE BBB

I've been reading through and noting some really great comments.

My hints thus far:

Track #1 -I know nothing of this guy's "real" thing and actually bought this disc, luckily for cheap, cause I liked the cover art!

Track #2 -As Nate sez...just another version of a "Rinky Dink Big Band".

Track #3 -is NOT West Coast although they have a west coast.

Track #4 -is NOT Monk...of course or even a send up Monk tribute band although it is steeped with a Sphere "tea-ball".

Track #6 -is NOT Mancini but you are onto it as it's the soloist who's tipping you off.

Track #9 -revealed, well sort of.

Track #10 -has some of who you say it is, can't miss that ubiquitous tenor, and the singer I do like on this - voice is no less creamy in his old age.

Track #11 -is "bon panorama" NOT Buena Vista.

Track #12 -is OBVIOUSLY NOT Dex although they ran into each other on a pont or two.

Track #13 -relates more to Mongo than the other but a bit more Mongrel.

Track #14 -not to spoil Oliver and others on this, but this cut is the ringer of the disc. You got the best one here IMO.

Tracks #15-18 -all kind of morph together, don't they? Sort of like how all those solos morph together on #15.

Track #20 -only mikeweil knows for sure and he didn't 'hint at underhanded things'. Granted the organist isn't pullin' out all the stops but that electrifying vocal is by someone who left jazz a lonnng time ago. And I think the only time he might have 'schitte on anybody's floor' was up near king ubu's pad. So sniff around folks.

:g

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Got my disc Saturday, listened to it a few times yesterday. Stopped reading this thread when the first actual guesses were posted. Going to take a nap before posting mine.

All I can say is that with very few exceptions, I'm like a clear-cut forest on this one - totally stumped!

Well, nobody knows nothing is not correct.

Track # 12 is the first piece from this CD, and I know that couw identified this, too. Sorry ubu, it's not Lucky T, wonder how you could take this entirely different sound for him. (So you had your appendix removed? Good to have you back!)

Track # 13 is track # 6 from this LP, available on a twofer CD that is not correctly listed on AMG; click here for a complete track listing.

And I am certain the last track of the BT is by this guy, one of my all-time favourites, but I cannot identify the album.

I enjoy a lot of this but still have to find the time for a track-by track commentary.

Well, nobody knows nothing is not correct.

And that means everybody knows everything.^_^

Oh man... Sorry for my semantics. My tongue was truly in my cheek up there but my smiley went to the next line. I have edited as I see many thought I was really getting smarmy.

Thanks for setting me straight Mike on the LJQ. A long while ago I hunted that one up but somehow never cross referenced it back to the catalog listed and always figured it was only out on the BGP only as re-issue. They buried the second album on that two-fer with their semantics. Well I gave up and recently looked here and there particularly after seeing your posting in another thread. I saw something claiming that it's original vinyl was issued briefly and then pulled off the shelves for some sort of mfg error back in the sixties. Guess it made it quite a collectable? Will be good to have the whole deal and then some.

p.s. if your hints on the tracks I do not know are as cryptic as those I understand, then they will not be a big help ....  :g

C'mon, there's actually FOUR hints for #20 alone! :D

Shall I be more forthcoming?

I love it the way it is. It's somehow... you Vint.

& Let's have some more people chime in first!

Just got this over the weekend and it has me flummoxed! ;) Mw/GA sure likes his big bands (and fairly eccentric big bands at that). I've only had a chance to listen once so far and am not quite sure what to think. I'm generally digging what I'm hearing, though I'm not sure if I could stand a whole album by some of these artists. I have a feeling I'm going to be pleasantly shocked by some of the answers. I'm really getting a kick out of these BFTs - especially as we're getting a taste of everyone's favs.

Answers/guesses later today...

Okay, I’m going to venture a few guesses. I’m really enjoying this disc, and yet I figured everyone would’ve figured this stuff out already, but if it’s confounding Sangrey, well then I don’t feel so clueless (no more than normal). So I’m going with first impressions, hoping I can remember all of them (which is the whole point of a BFT anyway):

1. Late-period Duke, something off of the Fantasy era, or heck, maybe even Anatomy of a Murder. But it can’t be that, someone more knowledgeable than me would’ve already picked up on that by now.

2. Rob McConnell & Boss Brass? Only because it sounds like a couple of Christmas tunes he did on another CD I have.

3. Some kinda Gerry Mulligan bag? Maybe a Bob Brookmeyer thing? Love the bass guitar in the left channel, and likeIsaidbefore, I can’t WAIT to find out where I can find this!!!

4. Jackie McLean?

5. Pepper Adams?

6. Plas Johnson?

7. Gerry Mulligan? Sure sounds like something he might arrange (BTW, Jeru is my default guess on pretty much any bari player)

8. HAFC™, but I sure dig it!

9. HAFC™, but I sure dig it! Just wish it was longer! I could ride this groove for hours!

10. Oscar Brown Jr.? Haven’t ever heard him, but I always imagined this is what he sounds like.

11. HAFC™, didn’t do much for me. Sounds like a soundtrack interlude or something.

12. HAFC™, but I sure like it!

13. An accordion?!?!?!? Ho-kay!!! NEXT!!!

14. What is this, the Lawrence Welk hour?!?!? Seriously, though, I like the guitar playing on this one. And I take it back: this is actually a nice little tune! Made me go back and re-listen to track 13.

13. (re-listen) Still no clue, but I like it better the second time around.

15. “Little One?” Don’t know who, though.

16. “a Very Good Year?” Sounds recent, though.

17. Nice, but once again, HAFC™!

18. Another soundtrack interlude?

19. Lost interest about the 2-minute mark.

20. Isn’t this the guy who sang on Schoolhouse Rock? Sure like the use of the title of the thread in this song! How’d he think of that? :g Anyway, nice greeeeazy way to end a fantastic disc!