bLiNdFoLd TeSt #7 - discussion

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but the more I listen to #2, the more it bugs me. I know the rhythms are all expertly played and so on, but it's that silly ass melody and how they don't DO anything with it except make it more and more silly, like a Frank DeVol movie theme played under an animated title sequence for a 1963 movie comedy with Phil Silvers & Phyliss Diller starring and Dom Deloise playing a shrink or some such.

The bottom's happening, but what's on top ruins it for me. Sorry, just had to say that.

Sorry, but the more I listen to #2, the more it bugs me. I know the rhythms are all expertly played and so on, but it's that silly ass melody and how they don't DO anything with it except make it more and more silly, like a Frank DeVol movie theme played under an animated title sequence for a 1963 movie comedy with Phil Silvers & Phyliss Diller starring and Dom Deloise playing a shrink or some such.

The bottom's happening, but what's on top ruins it for me. Sorry, just had to say that.

OK here is my hint on #2.

I have already told that it relates in one degree of separation to one of the horn players (soloist / composer) on #15. The band in question playing on #2 is not his usual suspects and I am certainly not as well informed about all of the incarnations of this leader's various bands as you all have proven to be on prior BFTs (this was in place already and lo and behold he appeared on BFTs past). Maybe the "rinky-dinkyness" is that it was not recorded on "home turf" and the actual medium that this arranger was in charge of for this session turned out to be more of a spoof than anything to be taken seriously. Maybe it was the food. This way OOP CD, which I purchased as an import right when it came out and I really can't recall why, is a lot of fun when you get past a couple of very lame over the tops by a well known husky-eyed pop star.

If I say it's a soundtrack...

Waiting for deus62 to get on board. He said he knew a bunch!

I can't really help out all that much. I think what I recognized straight away has already been identified by others (plus more), so ...

I have decided to prolong my trip and am simply unable to get to my disc ... dumb of me, but I took a whole bunch of Blue Notes and, of course, bought a whole bunch of CDs on the trip. I should have left a copy of the disc on my FTP space or opened a connection to my PC because I'm going through my usual online connection which would have allowed me to remotely access my drive as well ... but, it's locked.

Now, one track I immediately identified was the Mulligan (I think it's off a disc entitled S...b...]. I didn't have time to check with my disc, but I'm quite sure (I just recalled mine sounding a bit clearer, etc. ... hopefully I'm not making a fool of myself and it is that disc and not a different session).

Let's see if I can recall the other ones. As far as I remember this thread (I just don't have all that much time to read at the moment), the K.H. track has already been identified elsewhere. I still have the LP which I listened to a lot when it came out ... I've grown a bit tired of it since. Kip is not really my kind of thing anymore.

The last one was one of the Latin ones. Can't remember now, but I have it (I used to be heavily into Latin jazz but have since overdosed).

I hope I will get back home before the guessing time is up.

All I can say is that before I left, I really dug that BFT selection and was blasting it through my Dynacord speakers for half the town to hear! Thanks!

Cheers!

Coming in late on this one, haven't read the rest...

Here are my guesses. Mostly comments, actually - I'm in the dark for just about all of it. There's definitely a common sound at work. Strong bass, strong drums and/or percussion, medium-tempo, big arrangements of big themes, not too much leeway at the individual level. For me this whole collection evokes movie soundtracks.

As a sequence this has a lot of continuity. I think what makes movie themes work, or other songs sound like movie themes, is a kind of obviousness. Not necessarily in a bad way, but with tunes and chords and structures that are right there, big and fat in front of you so you can't miss the point. That and, here at least, they rarely stray from a comfortable mid-tempo. On the one hand that's what makes this blindfold probably the most unified, the most like an album in that sense, and also--sorry, Golden Arm--allows my interest to flag from time to time.

1. Nelson Riddle remixed by Bill Laswell? One part of me thinks, "What a jolly lark, I'll cheerfully bounce along with this!" Another part thinks, "This post-modernism is just *so* undergraduate. I wonder if this was ever touched by human hands, or was it wholly machine-assembled?" So those are my two simultaneous and contradictory reactions, and I won't even hazard a guess as to who prepared this digital artefact. Nonetheless, I enjoy it a lot!

2. Good sequencing! Somehow similar to number one in a kind of movie-theme way, with the big percussion, but played by real people. The arrangement nicely balances the strong, clear theme with a lot of stuff happening around the edges. No guess.

3. The theme sounds like something Mingus could have taken and set several horns to preaching and hollering with. Here it's a lot more antiseptic and leaves me hungry for something a bit more edgy. I like the alto sax. No guess.

4. I like this one! Nice arrangement, nice solos, bouncy. I'm sure I should recognize the soloists, but what else is new? No guess.

5. Phil Woods on alto? Just a guess. The band sound as a whole evokes Gerry Mulligan, but I'm not sure that's him on baritone. Nice but not all that exciting.

6. Jury's out. Some Ellingtonian touches, but nothing grabs me particularly about this one.

7. ALmost like a Dave Holland big band piece, what with the vibes and the strong bass and baritone. But I don't think it is. This is a good one.

8. Vibes and flute, dark. Sounds like a soundtrack to me. Kind of dull.

9. Percussion and alto sax. Old-fashioned sound à la Johnny Hodges. It may even be Hodges--I know there's an Ellington album with a lot of percussion, called "Jazz Party" I think--but he fools around with his sound more than I think Hodges would have. Sounds truncated at the end.

10. I know this one, so my lips are sealed. This recording artist's strong point, in my view, is an ability to assemble interesting and unexpected casts; the weak point is the composing and lyrics, which read like undergraduate poetry.

11. Not bad. The percussion is great.

12. The phrasing reminds me of Barney Wilen. Just a guess.

13. Is that an accordion ora keyboard pretending to be one? There can't be too many groups around with that instrumentation, and the alto sax sounds familiar, but I don't have a clue who this is. I like it pretty well, though.

14. Now there's a real squeeze-box. A nice, bluesy squeeze-box, too. I'd guess it's European.

15. Another one! Once again very nice. Good saxophonists, too. No idea who these folks are, but I'll be interested to find out.

16. Big movie theme sound. Atmospheric, catchy. Kind of dull, finally.

17. More movie stuff. The I'm-hip finger-snapping that comes in just past the two-minute mark just screams soundtrack.

18. I'm guessing this is from the Miles Davis soundtrack to "Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud", with Barney Wilen on tenor.

19. Sounds like modern guys playing the old stuff. I'll take a wild guess that it's off that recent Greg Osby album, "St. Louis Shoes," with Nicholas Payton, I think.

20. Very entertaining! Obviously singing is not the guy's main gig. But there's lots of personality in this one.

What is the status of the answers?

obviously not posted yet... Can you imagine? The guy posts his guesses for once and wants answers straight away! ;):g

Seriously, the coming weekend will be the second weekend for this BFT, probably the first for many posters. I would sure like to lign up all guesses and all hints once more and see where that can take me. It's in Vint's hands of course.

TRACK 20 - I know two things: 1)that is DEFINITELY Eddie Harris on tenor, and 2)this is one of the hippest songs ever written! HAD to do some research on this one, it's TOO damn cool for me not to know NOW exactly what it was, and what I found was TRACK 7 FROM THIS. Confirmed HERE. HELL YEAH, I'M GETTING THIS!

Read my comment to this tune on page 1 of this thread.

I knew Jim would love this tune! :g

I like it myself.

TRACK 20 - I know two things: 1)that is DEFINITELY Eddie Harris on tenor, and 2)this is one of the hippest songs ever written! HAD to do some research on this one, it's TOO damn cool for me not to know NOW exactly what it was, and what I found was TRACK 7 FROM THIS. Confirmed HERE. HELL YEAH, I'M GETTING THIS!

Read my comment to this tune on page 1 of this thread.

I knew Jim would love this tune! :g

I like it myself.

You know me better than I know myself.

Maybe that explains the voices in my head... ;)

Well considering how you all shake me up here I have been quickly devising my answers. Just to please a Morretti drinker at that (good stuff and the label model must have been my wife's late grandfather).

Up to about five so far.

Here's how I see it:

1-No one knows #1 except billyboy but he didn't quite hit it excactly.

2-Are you guys going to answer #2 or not? :angry:

3-couw's got this #3 he thinks.

4-Nate's onto this but tell me who the piano player is and you win a prize.

5-was hit on part by Nate but a few have given props to the bari on other cuts he's not on.

6-Pink Panther permeates this cut with the soloist that several have nailed down. I've got a soft spot for this flavor of cheese.

7-couw again!

8-who knows?...he's some british kids cartoon jingle jazz guy... there might be some 'avengers' connection but i don't know that. hopefully one of ya'll will let me know.

9-i've given hints all over here but couw again!! it's a trio setting.

10-yes this is solved within the thread. Tom Storer is right in how this guy's lyrics tend to sound high school after a time. but i love them here!

11-couw and mikeweil on this and the next. another cut from same was the intro to bft 5.

12-this disc should be required! if you don't have it ... i did see after the fact that a cut from this confounded mr. sangrey.

13-i wish mikeweil knew more about this band... i think he's heard of them before. :D

14-not european but maybe...who's playing guitar here??? the drummer's from #3.

15-with all that coleman vs farrel stuff you can do this...iknow i couldn't but i got the answers. and the soprano??? you're all better at this than this. B) and it really does somehow relate to #2. and #10.

16-completely soundtrack here. I think Jsngry had this guy but on the wrong cut. 'killer bob' on the vibes.

17-saxophonist here is on #19 too. another film score that Nate got.

18-does have that 'ascenseur pour itchyfoo' to it. almost all players here appear earlier but i threw it in for that Miles-y ref to compliment #s 2 and 15.

19-better Nate than... this is one gritty thing here. sorry that the piano player is not top shelf to some. it's the bassist's date and the trumpet player was on the same scene before the guy from 3 and 18.

20-you know this now. man I just cracked myself up with that long clue about this one a few pages back :g mikeweil had his sound on both instrument and vocal. and Jsngry had it up his alley all along. can someone tell me who is on the organ without looking though. he is playing rather reserved here as he probably didn't want to break it.

...answers I gots and some are ready to go.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

I've got "side one's" answers all set and would post them if I knew you really had to have them now. There are still about a dozen folks who have yet to post. I have seen some of them perusing and most all of the others have been on the board recently. That might be just the way it goes though. :unsure:

I'll allow one of the alpha-males to come and pee on the other side of the rock before I post up the answers thread.

I've got "side one's" answers all set and would post them if I knew you really had to have them now. There are still about a dozen folks who have yet to post. I have seen some of them perusing and most all of the others have been on the board recently. That might be just the way it goes though. :unsure:

I'll allow one of the alpha-males to come and pee on the other side of the rock before I post up the answers thread.

Not alpha, but ...

laptop-pee.jpg