bLiNdFoLd TeSt #7 - discussion

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, right I Want to Live. I've never seen the whole film but I remember the opening scene well, having seen a clip of it. That means I got Mulligan & Rosolino right in my original guess. I think it was Art Farmer & Bud Shank on the front line, but I forget the rhythm section. Zorn, incidentally, covers "I Want to Live" on the 1st Naked City disc.

Frank Rosolino was such a great player. As with Criss to some extent, the ugly end means that many jazzfans probably associate him more with the life than with the music.

I'll give one more listen to #4 & see if I can nail the piano player but I don't think I can.

I'm probably going to make a fool of myself by posting this without reading the previous posts first. With that said, I'm also not going to try to identify any of the songs. I'm simply going to transfer my impressions as I listen. I'm sitting down with it right now and this is actually my second time through. The previous was in the car and it took several trips around town to get through it

I hate the fact that the discussion on both this one and the last started about a week before I got the CD. :angry:

Track 1

Its got to be a movie theme of some sort. 3:20 is that a motorcycle in the background? Big band stuff doesn't really appeal to me.

Track 2

I like the bassist, he's not afraid of getting dizzy on the high end of the neck. Too bad it turned latin. At 2 minutes in I convinced that its a movie theme too.

Track 3

More big band. I like bassists that use the whole neck. If I close my eyes I can see the closing credits of the movie.

Track 4

I know that I know this one. What is it?!? Jeez, I hate that. WHAT IS IT? I definitely know the bassist. I should recognize the horn player. This is my kind of thing. I really enjoyed this one. Small combo. :D

Track 5

I liked this one but not enough to buy it.

Track 6

Anything that starts with this much bass has got to be good. No chordal instrument?

Track 7

Same bass tone as the last song. Still no one person playing chords. Is the bassist Rufus Reid?

Track 8

Pass

Track 9

Pass

Track 10

Latin, Big Band, and Vocals. Pass. Voice reminds me of Jack Bruce.

Track 11

Isn't this still track 10?

Track 12

Track 13

Track 14

Perfect pitch is the ability to throw a banjo in a dumpster and have it hit an accordian. :D That is without doubt the finest jazz accordion playing I've ever heard and I typed that with a straight face. :rolleyes:

Track 15

He nearly lost me during that 1 minute rubato intro. There's that accordion again. :rolleyes:

Track 16

This feels like an extended theme from a '60s TV show.

Track 17

Both of my greyhounds hated this one. :o I've never seen them react to music this way before and they've been subjected to a lot of different music.

Track 18

No opinion

Track 19

Starting at about 1:30 this becomes a good example of the kind of stuff I like.

Track 20

My wife thinks that its James Moody. Maybe.

Hmmmm.....listening to #4 I still don't have a secure ID on any of the players but Zorn. Thinking about the various NY-scene avant pianists....I'm pretty sure it's not Wayne Horvitz. It's a little lighter in touch, & I would guess Anthony Coleman (this is based on the first Sephardic Tinge disc, which I've heard). I'm still at a loss on the trumpeter, though. Not Douglas or Herb Robertson, I'm pretty sure. A pity, it's the trumpeter I liked most! I guess I'll wait for the official unveiling on this one.

Re: #7: knowing it's a UK track (from one of the broader hints on this thread) I suppose it'd likely be Tubby Hayes on vibes (that's just a guess really) & Peter King on alto (that's a little firmer, as I know his work with Stan Tracey).

Re: #7: knowing it's a UK track (from one of the broader hints on this thread) I suppose it'd likely be Tubby Hayes on vibes (that's just a guess really) & Peter King on alto (that's a little firmer, as I know his work with Stan Tracey).

Geographically you are right, it's not Tubby on doorbells though, neither is it King on sax, and that isn't on alto either ^_^

The leader is probably best known for a wild solo on a pop side.

I hate the fact that the discussion on both this one and the last started about a week before I got the CD. :angry:

Considering it takes much longer to get a CD into the remote regions of Michigan than over the drink we should consider a common discussion start date regardless of when we get the discs, to give everybody an equal chance.

I hate the fact that the discussion on both this one and the last started about a week before I got the CD.  :angry:

Considering it takes much longer to get a CD into the remote regions of Michigan than over the drink we should consider a common discussion start date regardless of when we get the discs, to give everybody an equal chance.

Most of the problem for me is fact that I have a Muskegon address but I don't live in Muskegon and my mail doesn't come out of the Muskegon Post Office (I don't think I've even seen the word Muskegon appear that many times in a sentence before :lol: ).

Uncle Skid lives 20 minutes away, also has a Muskegon address but doesn't live in Muskegon and consistantly gets things like Blue Note catalogs and stuff at least a day before I do because his mail does come out of the Muskegon Post Office. :angry:

It would be nicer (for me) if the discussion wasn't on page 3 the day my CD arrives.

I hate the fact that the discussion on both this one and the last started about a week before I got the CD.  :angry:

Sorry Bill about that disc not getting there. :angry: I sent the stateside discs out at once on the morning of the Prez Day holiday as I just got the taag that tjobbe had receive the half a dozen or so over yonder.

I wanted to do just as Mike has said but NOOOOO!! mr. BFT himself said 'sorry, guy you can't do that...it's not up to the compiler to start it whenever he feels comfy' nya nya nya... or some chit like that! And the only time I like to be called 'guy' is through the other side of the medicine cabinet. ;)

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Sorry Bill about that disc not getting there. :angry: I sent the stateside discs out at once on the morning of the Prez Day holiday as I just got the taag that tjobbe had receive the half a dozen or so over yonder.

Not your fault, I'm the guy that lives down the dirt road in between the small city and the smaller town. I'm blaming my wife, she's the one that wanted the big yard with limited neighbors. ;) Don't tell her I said that.

Hmmmm.....listening to #4 I still don't have a secure ID on any of the players but Zorn. Thinking about the various NY-scene avant pianists....I'm pretty sure it's not Wayne Horvitz. It's a little lighter in touch, & I would guess Anthony Coleman (this is based on the first Sephardic Tinge disc, which I've heard). I'm still at a loss on the trumpeter, though. Not Douglas or Herb Robertson, I'm pretty sure. A pity, it's the trumpeter I liked most! I guess I'll wait for the official unveiling on this one.

I guess it's official this is John Zorn and co. doing one of those homage-to-bebop things. I confess to being startled, since I can't stand Zorn's usual output, and I like this. Geez, leave a guy's prejudices alone, would ya?

Mike...no compliement intended then. B) I was only drawing back to the fact that I wanted to do what you are saying but got slapped down. I'm not going to 'fish' for the exact post within another BFT thread.

Tom...surprising that Zorn's main charge a decade and beyond ago was that he could toss out really great "jazz". :tup I'd rally like to hear him in more situations where this is proven but he's the arteest. I'm sure Pollock might have sat around the table and and drew fuzzy puppies when no-one was watching.

Now for some answers!

I think I have enjoyed this BFT more than any other. It confirms that I have very similar tastes to Man With The Golden Arm, which I had already noticed by reading posts.

Thank you MWTGA for the very cool disc.

1. Raucous, a funkin' good track. I can't tell if it is new or old, and I don't know who it is. I would guess this is fairly new.

2. Now the ol' toe is tappin'. Wait a second...the break to a latin dance beat is suprising, and throws me for a loop as to who this may be...yet another change...reminds me of Rahsaan Roland Kirk somehow.

3. Moving right along...awesome song, I instantly like it. I'd buy this. Art Blakey?

4. Infectious, another one I like right off the bat. It is frustrating that I just can't put names with the sounds, I'm betting this track will be met with instantaneous recognition by the more experienced listeners. Great song. Wynton Kelly?

5. Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh? Another great song.

6. The just keep comin'. I LOVE this one. The flute is suprising, very nicely played. No idea.

7. Man, this BFT doesn't quit. Fantastic stuff. Bobby Hutcherson?

8. Lem Winchester? Johnny Lytle? Whoever it is, it is two minutes of goodness.

9. Greeeaaazzzzy little sax drums interlude. I like it, but couldn't venture a guess.

10. Not bad, not exceptionally thrilling. No clue.

11. Short songs are intriguing. A lot is said in a small amount of time. This one echoes the previous track very closely. Can't say I know who it is.

12. Gato Barbieri?

13. A mysterious edge to this one that I really like. What is that instrument? Will go on my list of BFT songs to buy.

14. Continues the tone of the preceding track very well. Is that an accordian? I really dig this. Great drumming.

15. This one has grown on me since the first time I played it a week or so ago. I particularly enjoy the bass player here. No guess.

16. I like the mood created by this one, and I tend to like slower songs so this one suits me well.

17. Again these short songs are my kind of thing. I like those finger snaps. A two minute gem.

18. Oh yeah, slow it down more. I couldn't like this more. Sign me up. Damn, why'd it end so quick? That was TOO short for me, I wanted it to go ten minutes.

19. More great stuff. I'm just repeating myself now, I like every song on this BFT.

20. Good choice for a closing song, it seems to signal the end. Not my favorite on here, but endearing nonetheless.

Once again, thanks MWTGA. It will be great to read the discussion and finally the answers, which will definitely result in purchases. B)

edited for calling Johnny Lytle "Bobby Lytle" :lol:

Edited by Noj

Noj,

You are welcome and THANKS! Glad you dug in. There's lots of good discussion within and it seemed that folks were getting antsy for the goods. Hopefully the 'answers' thread will even edumacate me as to what's going on in that disc.

Funny that I worked around a couple of Johnny Lytle cuts when I started but it got too "mod" in the groove. Some of his more latin slabs would go nicely in here.