The bass players

Milestones

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general I love bassists so am fond of nearly everyone mentioned on this thread. Great to see people mentioning Jimmy Garrison who I feel is sometimes overlooked relative to the flashier bassists of that era, but is absolutely brilliant.

However, I have to say that I am hit-and-miss on Ron Carter (sometimes great, sometimes incredibly boring) and to a lesser degree Paul Chambers (his arco playing sounds like he's sawing away in the garage, albeit in an extremely swinging fashion).

p.s. I'll admit Carter's absurd comments on Garrison in an interview by Ethan Iverson are probably influencing my opinions:

EI: How did you feel at the time it was recorded?

RC: Elvin was very headstrong. I think he had to get used to me a little bit. Now, I don't want to take this really...um...into outer space, but the fact of the matter is, I play more forcefully than Jimmy Garrison did. I had a bigger sound and had more authority than Jimmy did. Elvin had to get used to it. Once he heard where I thought it was, though, there was no problem: Elvin was a consummate musician. So, in rehearsal, we agreed on a place and said, let's get this going! Yeah, The Real McCoy is a great record.

Edited by Guy

Many great ones mentioned (many not-so-great ones too :) ).

My all-time favorite is probably Barre Phillips. I love his solo records in particular (he has quite a few). Other favorite is Pierre Michelot, his playing is an epitome of tastefulness, as far as I am concerned. I would recommend HUM 3-CD set on Sketch, even if the pianist Rene Utreger is not always that interesting, but both Michelot and Daniel Humair (on drums) are fantastic. The sound quality on the last CD is excellent, really captures Michelot's beautiful sound. Joelle Leandre when she reigns her showmanship instincts is quite amazing. Honestly, I have not had an urge to listen to her stuff for a very long time, but I used to enjoy her solo CD "No Comment" on Red Toucan, as well as her duo with Sebi Tramontana "E'Vero" on Leo. And George Cremaschi - talk about huge sound. I like his playing on "They Were Gentle and Pretty Pigs" with Mats Gustafsson and Gregg Goodman - this one has excellent sound quality too. Ah yes, John Eckhardt's solo bass CD Xylobiont (on psi) is very impressive.

Edited by Д.Д.

In general I love bassists so am fond of nearly everyone mentioned on this thread. Great to see people mentioning Jimmy Garrison who I feel is sometimes overlooked relative to the flashier bassists of that era, but is absolutely brilliant.

However, I have to say that I am hit-and-miss on Ron Carter (sometimes great, sometimes incredibly boring) and to a lesser degree Paul Chambers (his arco playing sounds like he's sawing away in the garage, albeit in an extremely swinging fashion).

p.s. I'll admit Carter's absurd comments on Garrison in an interview by Ethan Iverson are probably influencing my opinions:

RC: Elvin was very headstrong. I think he had to get used to me a little bit. Now, I don't want to take this really...um...into outer space, but the fact of the matter is, I play more forcefully than Jimmy Garrison did. I had a bigger sound and had more authority than Jimmy did. Elvin had to get used to it. Once he heard where I thought it was, though, there was no problem: Elvin was a consummate musician. So, in rehearsal, we agreed on a place and said, let's get this going! Yeah, The Real McCoy is a great record.

Hadn't seen that quote before. Sounds absurd to me also. I've only heard Ron Carter on recordings, so perhaps my opinion isn't a fair one, but he never struck me as having a big sound. I'm not exactly sure what he means by "more authority", but I'll take Jimmy Garrison over Carter if I had to choose.

Hadn't seen that quote before. Sounds absurd to me also. I've only heard Ron Carter on recordings, so perhaps my opinion isn't a fair one, but he never struck me as having a big sound. I'm not exactly sure what he means by "more authority", but I'll take Jimmy Garrison over Carter if I had to choose.

agreed....anytime.

John Lindberg is a great bassist. He is especially brilliant with the bow - which is very much a prerequisite for me when listening to post bop or free/avant-garde bassists.

It has always been my premise that advancements of the techniques and approaches on the bass has been more prevalent than on other instruments

Jump Up with Jimmy Lyons and Sunny Murray shows he was a great bassist at a very young age.

And Reggie Workman (I think it's him when he pairs down with just Sam in between the ensemble sections) on Crystals is some of the sickest playing I've ever heard from him. I like Jimmy Garrison too especially on Ornette on Tenor n Tranes One Down One Up

About 50 years ago saw Reggie Workman with The Jazz Messengers and was knocked out by him.

And Reggie Workman (I think it's him when he pairs down with just Sam in between the ensemble sections) on Crystals is some of the sickest playing I've ever heard from him. I like Jimmy Garrison too especially on Ornette on Tenor n Tranes One Down One Up

About 50 years ago saw Reggie Workman with The Jazz Messengers and was knocked out by him.

Amazing that I saw Reggie last summer and he is still great.

I think he's had a good run so far

GEORGE JOYNER aka JAMIL NASSER

f5bddeacd7.jpg

"Bogota"

LARRY RIDLEY

d762e1d0ac.jpg

"Sketch of Melba"

btw as obviously being a bass fanatic, I was hoping this thread would be mainly about specific bass performances (like obviously stated by the thread initiator) giving the reader a chance to (re)search these - and not turn into another name dropping rundown....just my 5 pence worth....

Edited by soulpope

Richard Davis is a big favourite of mine.

Motoharu Yoshizawa - Inland Fish - particularly like the duo with Sabu Toyozumi on the second side. Very Barre Phillips-like in approach, and worth a listen if you're interested in freer bassists.

He was a memorable bass player. He did some great things with Derek Bailey.

He's an absolute monster on Steve Lacy's "stalks" album.

Yeah, Stalks is the shit indeed.

A crucial bass album not for the faint of heart is Vinny Golia's Haunting The Spirits Inside Them with Joēlle Léandre & Ken Filiano. Nuts.

Filiano in general is under appreciated. He brought a lot to Bill Dixon's late music, especially Tapestries.

Then, of course Bill Dixon's music is bass heaven, two or three going at a time. I love that.

Max Johnson always impresses me. I really wish more of his free improv groups were on record, since what he's released thus far is all very composed. But lots of fine sets on YouTube, usually with Weasel Walter.

Put me down for Wilbur Ware, he was one of those guys who was about bass, bass, BASS. From him you can look behind and forward, as far as you want to either direction, and never be totally disconnected. I'd even go so far as to say that if for whatever reason you can't feel Wilbur Ware, then why are you listening to "this music"? For the double fuel points? For the good Christian fellowship? For the mandatory community service time? For the love of Ivy? Pray, tell, why?