The bass players

Milestones

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working on a 1970s jazz project lately, immersed in music from that decade. So I'll focus on some of my all-time faves who were active during that time:

George Mraz

I love his incredibly fluid, singing (!) bass lines. His work with pianists Richie Beirach, Roland Hanna, and Tommy Flanagan is particularly special -- but his presence on any session guarantees a high degree of musicality. Samples: Listen to his playing on Beirach's Elm (ECM) or Hanna's Sir Elf Plus 1 (Choice). (Mraz is the "plus 1".)

Buster Williams

Such a big, juicy, elastic (but not rubbery) sound! Another guy that makes me want to hear any record as long as he's playing on it. For example, listen to Timeless Heart by the Timeless All Stars on -- you guessed it -- Timeless Records. The interplay between Cedar Walton, Billy Higgins, and Buster is friggin' sublime. Buster's record Griot Liberté (HighNote) is top-shelf too. And he's more than just a great bass player. His compositions are fantastic too.

Cecil McBee

I dig Cecil's toughness and propulsiveness. He can play pretty, but he seems to be at his very best when he's tearing it up. I've been listening to Roy Brook's The Free Slave (Muse/32 Jazz) a lot lately, and his playing lifts the music so much! Another favorite record with Cecil is Larry Willis' Steal Away (Audioquest). It's a drummer-less record that features Willis, McBee, and Gary Bartz. It's a really special, BLUESY record. And they play McBee's great tune "'D' Bass-IC Blues"!

Sam Jones

Listen to the first Eastern Rebellion record (Timeless). Or check out Von Freeman's Doin' It Right Now (Atlantic). Just yesterday, I was talking about how much Jones' bass playing on that record made me sit up and say, "Wow!"

Richard Davis

Listen to Davis' playing on Andrew Hill's records. Judgment (Blue Note) is probably my favorite, but don't overlook Nefertiti (East Wind) from 1976. Or listen to Davis on the famous recordings with Dolphy & Booker Little at the Five Spot. Or check out Davis' own Epistrophy & Now's the Time (Muse) with Clifford Jordan and Hannibal Marvin Peterson. Phew!!! Some bass playing that's in the HEAVYWEIGHT division!

Edited by HutchFan

I've been working on a 1970s jazz project lately, immersed in music from that decade. So I'll focus on some of my all-time faves who were active during that time:

George Mraz

I love his incredibly fluid, singing (!) bass lines. His work with pianists Richie Beirach, Roland Hanna, and Tommy Flanagan is particularly special -- but his presence on any session guarantees a high degree of musicality. Samples: Listen to his playing on Beirach's Elm (ECM) or Hanna's Sir Elf Plus 1 (Choice). (Mraz is the "plus 1".)

Buster Williams

Such a big, juicy, elastic (but not rubbery) sound! Another guy that makes me want to hear any record as long as he's playing on it. For example, listen to Timeless Heart by the Timeless All Stars on -- you guessed it -- Timeless Records. The interplay between Cedar Walton, Billy Higgins, and Buster is friggin' sublime. Buster's record Griot Liberté (HighNote) is top-shelf too. And he's more than just a great bass player. His compositions are fantastic too.

Cecil McBee

I dig Cecil's toughness and propulsiveness. He can play pretty, but he seems to be at his very best when he's tearing it up. I've been listening to Roy Brook's The Free Slave (Muse/32 Jazz) a lot lately, and his playing lifts the music so much! Another favorite record with Cecil is Larry Willis' Steal Away (Audioquest). It's a drummer-less record that features Willis, McBee, and Gary Bartz. It's a really special, BLUESY record. And they play McBee's great tune "'D' Bass-IC Blues"!

Sam Jones

Listen to the first Eastern Rebellion record (Timeless). Or check out Von Freeman's Doin' It Right Now (Atlantic). Just yesterday, I was talking about how much Jones' bass playing on that record made me sit up and say, "Wow!"

Richard Davis

Listen to Davis' playing on Andrew Hill's records. Judgment (Blue Note) is probably my favorite, but don't overlook Nefertiti (East Wind) from 1976. Or listen to Davis on the famous recordings with Dolphy & Booker Little at the Five Spot. Or check out Davis' own Epistrophy & Now's the Time (Muse) with Clifford Jordan and Hannibal Marvin Peterson. Phew!!! Some bass playing that's in the HEAVYWEIGHT division!

:tup:tup !!

Was this before or after NHOP became an old-time guy himself?

Bass lines on ballads - Ron Carter on any Miles ballad, especially the standards. Especially. so much of the musicalgoodwill that Ron Carter has squandered over the years exists in no insignificant part becuase of those ballads.

Just because the subject is bass players, I will never forget the time I took NHOP to Andy's (Chicago club) to hear/meet Truck Parham. Truck never forgot the meeting and NHOP just thought he was an old time guy.

Geez -- You should have taken him to hear Larry Gray. :)

My favorite bassist is whoever's playing with Walt Dickerson. Particularly on the Steeplechases he always draws out creativity and lyricism from his bassists. Lisle Atkinson never did anything else close to the profound contributions he makes to Peace. Rudy McDaniel's exquisite electric bass guitar cuts anything he would do in the next decade after changing his name to Jamaladeen Tacuma. And Richard Davis was the greatest, I have been waking up to Divine Gemini since I discovered CD alarm clocks.

Other highlights are Charlie Haden on Prayer, a duet from Keith Jarrett - Death and the Flower. Buster Williams playing throughout Mary Lou Williams - Free Spirits, and Juni Booth's propulsive groove on McCoy Tyner's Walk Spirit, Talk Spirit from Enlightenment.

My favorite bassist is whoever's playing with Walt Dickerson. Particularly on the Steeplechases he always draws out creativity and lyricism from his bassists. Lisle Atkinson never did anything else close to the profound contributions he makes to Peace. Rudy McDaniel's exquisite electric bass guitar cuts anything he would do in the next decade after changing his name to Jamaladeen Tacuma. And Richard Davis was the greatest, I have been waking up to Divine Gemini since I discovered CD alarm clocks.

Other highlights are Charlie Haden on Prayer, a duet from Keith Jarrett - Death and the Flower. Buster Williams playing throughout Mary Lou Williams - Free Spirits, and Juni Booth's propulsive groove on McCoy Tyner's Walk Spirit, Talk Spirit from Enlightenment.

agreed ....

• 2 weeks later...

agreed ....

I'd never heard Free Spirits before. Just listening to "Ode to Saint Cecile" on YT now. Wow! What a TIGHT trio!

This record goes right to the top of my "to get" list. Thanks for the heads-up!!! :)

• 3 months later...

Somehow I missed this thread until now.  I was pleased to see that one favorite of mine, NHOP, was mentioned several times.

Quite the encyclopedia here.  I thought I might see at least one comment about the great Aladár Pege, but unless I missed it, he doesn't seem to have been mentioned.

Recently heard the George Cables Trio live with George Mraz  on bass and Lewis Nash on drums.

The trio was outstanding, but as this is a bass thread will focus on Mraz.

George is perhaps my favorite living bass player, and the way he played with the Cables Trio verified for me, that opinion. His rhythmic feeling, his choice of notes and his sound were perfect. 

Some bassists annoy me with their attempt to wow us with their technical prowess. I wonder if they think the bass is actually a guitar. The main thrust is to play lots and lots of high pitched notes often as fast as possible. My personal enjoyment comes from hearing  many low bass notes as the name of the instrument suggests. I want the bass player to understand that their role, in most settings, is to provide support to the soloist and group, not try to overshadow the soloist and become the dominant voice.

Mraz plays the bass the way I like to hear it. All parts - rhythm / note selection / sound/ feeling / support for the soloist - are ideally balanced . 

Of course all of this is just my personal view. There are likely many who have a quite different opinion.