Monk opinions sought

GA Russell

not crazy about the big band things; I always thought Overton's arrangements were strangely conventional and failed to capture the essence of Monk - which is to me a wonderful looseness and imprecision superimposed on very clearly defined forms; I also find Woods' ideas great but he is starting to head into that stage of his career where slickness of execution overwhelms the feeling in his playing.

and Rouse I can't stand, but that's another thread. But Monk is in great shape in these years.

Edited by AllenLowe

I'm just trying to digest this music myself, which I heard for the first time just a couple of weeks ago. I've long owned the first big band set, which I find to be the superior one.

On the Columbia album the tracks tend to run long, and the big band itself seems under-used and (as Allen Lowe put it) fairly conventional. As with most of Monk's live records from this period that I've heard, the tempos all seem to be about the same.

But I need to keep listening.

Edited by Milestones

I'd cautiously claim that the only truly "significant" Monk Columbia album was Underground.

But the big band one is worth it for me because Overton's charts were a little better thought out than his earlier ones for the Town Hall gig, and mainly, beacuse Thad Jones is just freakin' brilliant every time he opens his mouth. You don't generally get genius-level trumpeting on Monk records (with fullest possible props to Ray Copeland & Idrees Suleiman, strong personal voices to be sire), but on this one, you do.

Also, Frankie Dunlop was a big band unto himself, unlike Art Taylor, who was Art Taylor unto himself. However, Sam Jones cannot be replaced..

Not as much as you'd think outside of Basie orb, but he was in top form on Monk's 5 by 5 by Monk. That's an album that is a bit "underrated", imo.

Also, his early work with Mingus (as "Oliver King") and under his own name on Debut is sometimes shocking in its harmonic invention.

Thad was one helluva player. In fact, a lot of the early reviews I've read of the Thad/Mel band lament that thad's charts were excellent, but they didn't quite reach the inventiveness of his improvisation. So go figure that.

• 3 months later...

Thelonious-Monk-At-The-Blackhawk-542249.

Harold Land gets Monk more than I thought. This one is turning into one of my favorite live Monk recordings. Anyone else spin this one more than others?

It's my favourite Monk recording.

Hmm. .... Interesting, as a big Monk fan I rate this fairly low, it's a bit of a mess IIRC but I've not played it in a while.

Harold Land gets Monk more than I thought. This one is turning into one of my favorite live Monk recordings. Anyone else spin this one more than others?

Hmm. .... Interesting, as a big Monk fan I rate this fairly low, it's a bit of a mess IIRC but I've not played it in a while.

Being a favourite doesn't mean it's his best, but I find the newcomers bring a freshness to the date that I find really entertaining. Some of Monk's later quarter dates can sound rote, but this one is lots of fun.

Being a favourite doesn't mean it's his best, but I find the newcomers bring a freshness to the date that I find really entertaining. Some of Monk's later quarter dates can sound rote, but this one is lots of fun.

It's O.K.

I'm not thrilled by Joe Gordon on the album.