Monk opinions sought

GA Russell

I am looking at two Monk Columbia releases:

Live at the Jazz Workshop - Complete

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000056KDD/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PGK7W8CFAIS0

Big Band & Quartet in Concert

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012GMXME/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APZB0IDP1EYQW

Has anyone heard either of these, and have an opinion?

I suspect that they are overrated by the Amazon reviewers, but maybe not.

Thanks!

I am looking at two Monk Columbia releases:

Live at the Jazz Workshop - Complete

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000056KDD/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PGK7W8CFAIS0

Big Band & Quartet in Concert

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012GMXME/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APZB0IDP1EYQW

Has anyone heard either of these, and have an opinion?

I suspect that they are overrated by the Amazon reviewers, but maybe not.

Thanks!

Don't know the first, but the second is very fine Monk - perhaps not of the first order (I'd put the Town Hall concert in that category), but very good all the same, and plenty of it as a 2 CD set.

Big Band & Quartet in Concert is a more distinct and unusual item in the discography. Many believe it to be the most successful Monk with a larger band, and I am inclined to agree. Jazz Workshop is a fairly average performance by the Monk quartet of the period, not as strong at "Live at the It Club," in my opinion, but still quite enjoyable.

I agree with all the above. If this were five years ago I would say with hope "wait for the inevitable expanded and remastered 'Big Band and Quartet in Concert' it's an important work and the new reissue will be great." But I now doubt we'll see it unless Columbia does a similar set to the Studio Recordings with the Live Recordings. I'd like to see that, I thought I saw someone mention it as a possiblibity but I don't know if we'll ever see such a thing.

Also, the Big Band CD is super-inexpensive right now - look at Amazon Resellers. I agree with the above about Jazz Workshop. I remember when it came out on LP, a few months after It Club, and noting that It Club sounded a lot more alive and energetic; JW sounds more like a routine date.

I agree with all the above. If this were five years ago I would say with hope "wait for the inevitable expanded and remastered 'Big Band and Quartet in Concert' it's an important work and the new reissue will be great." But I now doubt we'll see it unless Columbia does a similar set to the Studio Recordings with the Live Recordings. I'd like to see that, I thought I saw someone mention it as a possiblibity but I don't know if we'll ever see such a thing.

That was me. I have the quartet complete studio set from 2012 and in the booklet producer Richard Seidel mentions a live set.

Quote:"... in addition to his studio work with his quartet, made several live recordings in club and concert settings during this period. Those live performances will comprise a projected future Monk collection in Columbia/Legacy's Complete Album series."

You probably don!t need another recommendation for BB & Q, but it is my favorite Monk on Columbia.

Same here. AFAIK the Columbia two disc set includes the complete concert, three sets, two big band, the middle one in a quartet setting with a Monk solo for openers, and all tracks were restored to full length as the first LP issue had all the bass and drums solos edited out. The monk quartet and Thad Jones and Phil Woods are the only soloists.

If I could take only one Monk album to the desert island it would be this one!

The only Columbia Monk not yet reissued in expanded form is the Brandeis University concert, part of which was on "Misterioso", and probably some live material from Mexico. I have given up on this, I must say.

• 2 weeks later...

Because the Town Hall Concert never truly clicked for me and thinking for a long time that this "BB&Q" was kind of a odds and ends compilation, I never gave it a fair shot. Well ! This is, indeed, top notch Monk, with Monk himself in great form and spirit, as are Rouse, Thad Jones and Phil Woods upfront, and Dunlop behind (a true joy). The arrangements make it at the same time a relaxed, airy and intense affair. A fantastic take of "Four in One" and a great "Misterioso", amongst others.