Smoke Session Records

great contemporary straight ahead live sessions with seriously fine recording quality. I've picked up every one as they've been released, and they're all solid or better.

http://smokesessionsrecords.com/

The Eric Reed and Orrin Evans are the two newest issues. Louis Hayes and David Hazeltine may be my favorites.

Yes, the Evans is quite good. So is the Jimmy Cobb, both I have heard on Rhapsody. Very similar to the Smalls Live label, but maybe a bit too much of that is overwhelming with 2 labels doing that. I like the presentation of the Smalls' releases I have, and most include inner sleeves :) The presentation of the Smoke releases sounds very nice too, from the descriptions

Edited by CJ Shearn

Very similar to the Smalls Live label, but maybe a bit too much of that is overwhelming with 2 labels doing that.

Maybe there are three such efforts, CJ - I've got several Live at Yoshi's as well (Jessica Williams, Mulgrew Miller), released by MaxxJazz. I like live jazz but can't get it often where I live (the excellent Savannah Music Festival in late March/early April being the exception), but AYK live recordings often suffer from inferior sound. The nice thing about most of the Small's (there's one very early one I'm thinking of I wish sounded better) and all of the Smoke Sessions releases is very good recording quality matched with excellent performances. IMO, of course; YMMV. I wish there were more of these efforts.

Very similar to the Smalls Live label, but maybe a bit too much of that is overwhelming with 2 labels doing that.

Maybe there are three such efforts, CJ - I've got several Live at Yoshi's as well (Jessica Williams, Mulgrew Miller), released by MaxxJazz. I like live jazz but can't get it often where I live (the excellent Savannah Music Festival in late March/early April being the exception), but AYK live recordings often suffer from inferior sound. The nice thing about most of the Small's (there's one very early one I'm thinking of I wish sounded better) and all of the Smoke Sessions releases is very good recording quality matched with excellent performances. IMO, of course; YMMV. I wish there were more of these efforts.

I have the Mulgrew Miller Yoshi's and Kennedy Center volumes and they are excellent. I really like the Smalls releases I have (about 8 or 9 total? I think) that push at the boundaries of the mainstream like the Kevin Hays, Will Vinson and Seamus Blake releases.

agree on the excellence of the Mulgrews. In the Smalls series, I have

Alex Sipiagin

Ben Wolfe

David Berkman

David Kikoski (a killer session, that one, might have been the first Kikoski I ever acquired)

Harold Mabern

Jazz Incorporated (that would be Jeremy Pelt - trumpet; Louis Hayes - drums; Anthony Wonsey - piano; Dezron Douglas - trumpet)

Jesse Davis

Jimmy Greene Quartet

Joel Frahm Quartet

Lage Lund

Neal Smith

Omer Avital (WOW! What a great session from a great artist)

Peter Bernstein (I really like his guitar playing)

Planet Jazz (that would be Peter Bernstein - guitar; Joe Magnarelli - trumpet; Jerry Weldon - tenor sax; Spike Wilner - piano; Neal Miner - trumpet; Joe Strasser - drums)

Rodney Green

Ryan Kisor (definitely like Kisor's playing on this and in general)

Seamus Blake (ditto)

Tim Ries Quintet

Will Vinson.

Looks like I need to go take a look at that Kevin Hays you mentioned, CJ

Alex Sipiagin

Ben Wolfe

David Berkman

David Kikoski (a killer session, that one, might have been the first Kikoski I ever acquired)

Harold Mabern

Jazz Incorporated (that would be Jeremy Pelt - trumpet; Louis Hayes - drums; Anthony Wonsey - piano; Dezron Douglas - trumpet)

Jesse Davis

Jimmy Greene Quartet

Joel Frahm Quartet

Lage Lund

Neal Smith

Planet Jazz (that would be Peter Bernstein - guitar; Joe Magnarelli - trumpet; Jerry Weldon - tenor sax; Spike Wilner - piano; Neal Miner - trumpet; Joe Strasser - drums)

Rodney Green

Seamus Blake (ditto)

Tim Ries Quintet

Will Vinson.

You're missing 3 of the best ones--the ones by Tyler Mitchell, Dezron Douglas, and Ari Hoenig.

Alex Sipiagin

Ben Wolfe

David Berkman

Harold Mabern

Jesse Davis

Jimmy Greene Quartet

Joel Frahm Quartet

Lage Lund

Neal Smith

Rodney Green

Seamus Blake (ditto)

Tim Ries Quintet

Will Vinson.

Yes the Hays session is a very deep record, Bill Stewart plays fantastic on it. HDTracks has hi res versions of the Smalls releases, but I'd rather get the CD's b/c of the nice presentation. The Magnarelli is significant of course being Mulgrew's last session. Gotta pick up the Lund and Hoenig releases at some point, and the Frank Lacy which just came out

Edited by CJ Shearn

Echo the sentiments being expressed about the generally high level of quality on the Smalls Live releases. My favorites are the Hays, the Kisor, the Mabern, the Kikoski, the Bernstein, the Avital, and the Grant Stewart (which I'm not sure has been mentioned here yet). But all are worth acquiring. Further, if you are in NY, make sure to visit Smalls. It's a great club and I have never been disappointed by a show there.

On another note, thanks for all the recommendations about Smoke Sessions. It looks like the Hazeltine and the Cobb might be my first acquisitions of this label's releases.