Quintessential Fall Music

His Boy Elroy

‘Was listening to David Grisman tonight and thinking about how that “newgrass” sound he helped usher in back in the ‘70’s frequently puts me in a “Fall” kind of mood. There are others, of course. Old school jazz or even popular vocals; any downtrodden version of “Round Midnight;” Nordic and Eastern European roots music (possibly their connection to traditional harvest festivities?), and others. When it comes to jazz, it’s often the older stuff – the warm, nostalgic, sweater-wearing, comfort-food kind of stuff, that calls me this time of year. Ben Webster’s big fat tenor; Coleman Hawkins, the Nat Cole Trio, Duke (always Duke). By November, celtic music will start reeling me in. Then, when it starts snowing, I’ll scrounge up those solo piano jazz recordings I hardly ever listen to any other time of the year.

I’m guessing we all do this, for whatever subjective and personal reasons – i.e., associate certain types of music, or certain albums, with particular seasons. So, anyway, I thought I’d throw it out there: what do you consider your quintessential “Fall” albums? (with "new guy" apologies if this topic has already been covered)

Not jazz, but i strongly associate autumn with the Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox.

It came out in 2001, and by autumn 2002 the instrumental album had been released as well as Def Jux Presents Vol. 2. There's just something about that music that takes me back to that period and those clear, chilly autumn days.

Trying to think of some jazz albums that i associate with Autumn and coming up short, but i might report back later.

I tend to play more 50s/early 60s jazz in the autumn.

Also Shostakovich.

And a lot of early 70s rock - I think the falling leaves get me nostalgic for the return to university.

It's not really anything in the music itself, more my associations of when I first heard it.

Yeah, i was going to say, my picks are a bit of both... there's the associations with the time that i was listening to them, which happened to be mostly Autumn, but the music itself kind of has a distinctly chilly atmosphere to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJghl_wmto

Just pulled this out for listening later and thought, 'isn't it in autumn you want to remember summer?' Especially a summer like we've had this year, best for about a century, I've heard.

Hampton-Hawes-The-Green-Leaves-492635.jp

Hampton Hawes - The green leaves of summer - Contemporary

Course, we have different autumns to America. It was bloomin' 'ot in October 1996 when I visited Newark.

MG

Yeah, I suppose that "autumn" feeling can come from a lot of different places - the music itself; or perhaps the sleeve; or a personal association with a time and place, when we remember hearing the music. That Brubeck album seems a great example - not only for the cover, but for the time in his life when he recorded it, and the "reflective" sound of the music. Here's another one I tend to pull out more than usual this time of the year. It's one of my favorite "late night" albums, with a consistently warm and laid-back vibe throughout. It even contains two tracks - "'Tis Autumn" and "September Song" that play right into the theme . . .

MI0000651183.jpg?partner=allrovi.com