Ted Nash

Milestones

Ted Nash is quite a discovery for me. I've heard the name for quite some time, but only just recently picked up Sidewalk Meeting. He knows his tradition with versions of tunes by Duke and Monk. But for the most part we have originals, and what I would call a rather original band. Nash seems to be a multi-instrumental somewhat in the vein of Dolphy. He plays tenor, clarinet, and bass clarinet. He sound fine on all them, including bass clarinet--though quite different stylistically from Dolphy. The marvelous Wycliffe Gordon plays growling trombone--and probably more tuba than bone. He have a violinist! We have an accordian player! And, oh yeah, drums.

To my ears, this music is creative and playful. However you choose to describe it (and not easy to describe), the players are one in purpose and spirit.

Yep, this is an artist worth exploring.

First saw Ted Nash sitting alongside Dick Oatts in the Mel Lewis Orchestra in 1989. A great concert! - which I can't say for my most recent sighting of Mr Nash - in the Wynton Marsalis Orchestra where he now spends a lot of his time. :( Have been listening on Spotify to a nice Ted Nash album called European Quartet which features him exclusively on tenor IIRC:

MI0002459240.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by BillF

I played with him when he first came to NY on a Local 802 Musicians Trust fund jazz concert.

Came in and sight read the first alto book cold, and blew his ass off.

I believe he's the son of the great West Coast studio trombonist, Dick Nash.

I've enjoyed his work with the West coast vibes player Charlie Shoemake's Sextet.

I've seen Nash quite a few times, both as a member of Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and on his own with other musicians. He's a very good composer and arranger in addition to being a superb reeds player. I saw one of the first performances of his Portrait in Seven Shades, a JLCO performance composed and arranged by Nash. The composition was released by JLCO on The Orchard label in 2010.

51Yo5ONd7yL.jpg

I have two records of him, Portrait in Seven Shades and Chakra. Both quality stuff but not something I listen to very often I must admit. The Creep is an album of him I still want to have, heard some very good stories about that one.

wishlist hell.

Damn that place!

Edited by niels

I have two records of him, Portrait in Seven Shades and Chakra. Both quality stuff but not something I listen to very often I must admit. The Creep is an album of him I still want to have, heard some very good stories about that one.

wishlist hell.

Damn that place!

Yeah! You know what i'm talking about brother! :party:

I also have Chakra (2013), The Creep (2012), and Still Evolved (2003).

One of Nash's strengths is as an arranger. I've seen him put together programs for the Savannah Music Festival that were truly fine, especially one from 2011 where he selected and arranged from Duke Ellington's Small Combo compositions.

In Another World
Downtown Uproar
Tough Truckin'
That's The Blues, Old Man
Performed by Ted Nash, Joe Temperly, Terrell Stafford, Wycliffe Gordon, Gerald Clayton, Rodney Whitaker, Leon Anderson
Prelude to a Kiss
Performed by Dave Stryker
Squatty Roo
Day Dream
Clouds In My Heart
Performed by Ted Nash, Joe Temperly, Jim Ketch, Paul McKee, K. Bales, Rodney Jordan, Jason Marsalis
It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
Performed by Marcus Roberts
Mood Indigo
Play the Blues and Go
Performed by W. Gordon, R. Westray, S. Hampton, P. McKee, M. Roberts, R.jordan, j. Marsalis
Single Petal of a Rose
Performed by Joe Temperly, Marcus Roberts
Hodge Podge
Poor Bubber
Rendezvous with Rhythm
Blue Reverie*
Things Ain't What They Used To Be
Jeff Clayton, Joe Temperly, Bill Kennedy, Marcus Printup,
Ron Westray, Bill Petterson, John Clayton, Obed Clavaire
(*Rodney Jordan replaces John Clayton; add Ted Nash)
Musical Director: Ted Nash
Trumpet: Terell Stafford, Marcus Printup, Jim Ketch
Reeds: Joe Temperly, Ted Nash, Jeff Clayton, Bill Kennedy, Jack Wilkins
Trombones: Wycliffe Gordon, Ron Westray, Paul McKee
Piano: Gerald Clayton, Marcus Roberts, Bill Petterson
Guitar: Dave Stryker
Bass: Rodney Jordan, Rodney Whitaker, John Clayton
Drums: Leon Anderson, Obed Clavaire, Jason Marsalis
Great show, that was. It inspired me to invest in the big Mosaic box, Duke Ellington: 1936-40 Small Group Sessions (#235)
41Rg5JqLeuL._SL500_.jpg
Edited by Buddha the Magnificent

I've seen Nash quite a few times, both as a member of Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and on his own with other musicians. He's a very good composer and arranger in addition to being a superb reeds player. I saw one of the first performances of his Portrait in Seven Shades, a JLCO performance composed and arranged by Nash. The composition was released by JLCO on The Orchard label in 2010.

51Yo5ONd7yL.jpg

Revisiting this one several times today. Really a nice listen--and a really nice recording that sounds so nice on my system.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have Chakra (2013), The Creep (2012), and Still Evolved (2003).

One of Nash's strengths is as an arranger. I've seen him put together programs for the Savannah Music Festival that were truly fine, especially one from 2011 where he selected and arranged from Duke Ellington's Small Combo compositions.

In Another World
Downtown Uproar
Tough Truckin'
That's The Blues, Old Man
Performed by Ted Nash, Joe Temperly, Terrell Stafford, Wycliffe Gordon, Gerald Clayton, Rodney Whitaker, Leon Anderson
Prelude to a Kiss
Performed by Dave Stryker
Squatty Roo
Day Dream
Clouds In My Heart
Performed by Ted Nash, Joe Temperly, Jim Ketch, Paul McKee, K. Bales, Rodney Jordan, Jason Marsalis
It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
Performed by Marcus Roberts
Mood Indigo
Play the Blues and Go
Performed by W. Gordon, R. Westray, S. Hampton, P. McKee, M. Roberts, R.jordan, j. Marsalis
Single Petal of a Rose
Performed by Joe Temperly, Marcus Roberts
Hodge Podge
Poor Bubber
Rendezvous with Rhythm
Blue Reverie*
Things Ain't What They Used To Be
Jeff Clayton, Joe Temperly, Bill Kennedy, Marcus Printup,
Ron Westray, Bill Petterson, John Clayton, Obed Clavaire
(*Rodney Jordan replaces John Clayton; add Ted Nash)
Musical Director: Ted Nash
Trumpet: Terell Stafford, Marcus Printup, Jim Ketch
Reeds: Joe Temperly, Ted Nash, Jeff Clayton, Bill Kennedy, Jack Wilkins
Trombones: Wycliffe Gordon, Ron Westray, Paul McKee
Piano: Gerald Clayton, Marcus Roberts, Bill Petterson
Guitar: Dave Stryker
Bass: Rodney Jordan, Rodney Whitaker, John Clayton
Drums: Leon Anderson, Obed Clavaire, Jason Marsalis
Great show, that was. It inspired me to invest in the big Mosaic box, Duke Ellington: 1936-40 Small Group Sessions (#235)
41Rg5JqLeuL._SL500_.jpg

We just played a Ted Nash arrangement last night in a Tentet I play in- great writing!